FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why Are Seminaries Afraid of the Extraordinary Form?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In case you haven't seen this article:

Why Are Seminaries Afraid of the Extraordinary Form?
by Revd Fr. Christopher Smith

I had just entered the seminary when Cardinal Ratzinger’s book, The Spirit of the Liturgy, came out. I had an English copy expressed to me and brought it with me into the chapel as my spiritual reading during our daily community Holy Hour. One of the older men knelt next to me as I was engrossed in Ratzinger’s chapter on Rite and whispered, “Do you want to get kicked out of the seminary? Change the book cover now.” All of my attempts to not publicize the fact that I actually knew the Old Latin Mass had apparently been blown out of the water by this defiant act of wanton schism. Suddenly seminarians began to knock on my door and counsel me how to survive the seminary, and so I exchanged Ignatius Press’ book cover for one entitled “The Pastoral Letters of Paul VI.”
Apparently it was too late. I was a marked man. Not surprisingly, the superiors were made aware of my “problem,” but for the most part, they left me alone. I refused to be duplicitous about my love for the Latin Mass, and I also went along with the liturgical customs of the house without trying to reform or denounce them. I did from to time steal away from the house to go to a Latin Mass, carefully folding my cassock up into my overcoat and hiding my collar with a scarf, feeling all the while a little bit like Superman waiting for a small cubiculum where I could transform into my true self. Only once was I ever “discovered” as I was serving a Low Mass for a Curial prelate in the private chapel of a Roman noble family that was having an annual open house, as it were. Nothing was ever said.

The rest of the article:

http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/08/why...afraid-of.html
(08-20-2011, 02:39 AM)Ygnacia Wrote: [ -> ]In case you haven't seen this article:

I had just entered the seminary when Cardinal Ratzinger’s book, The Spirit of the Liturgy, came out. I had an English copy expressed to me and brought it with me into the chapel as my spiritual reading during our daily community Holy Hour. One of the older men knelt next to me as I was engrossed in Ratzinger’s chapter on Rite and whispered, “Do you want to get kicked out of the seminary? Change the book cover now.” All of my attempts to not publicize the fact that I actually knew the Old Latin Mass had apparently been blown out of the water by this defiant act of wanton schism. Suddenly seminarians began to knock on my door and counsel me how to survive the seminary, and so I exchanged Ignatius Press’ book cover for one entitled “The Pastoral Letters of Paul VI.”
Apparently it was too late. I was a marked man. Not surprisingly, the superiors were made aware of my “problem,” but for the most part, they left me alone. I refused to be duplicitous about my love for the Latin Mass, and I also went along with the liturgical customs of the house without trying to reform or denounce them. I did from to time steal away from the house to go to a Latin Mass, carefully folding my cassock up into my overcoat and hiding my collar with a scarf, feeling all the while a little bit like Superman waiting for a small cubiculum where I could transform into my true self. Only once was I ever “discovered” as I was serving a Low Mass for a Curial prelate in the private chapel of a Roman noble family that was having an annual open house, as it were. Nothing was ever said.

The rest of the article:

This article reminds me of my confessor while he was still in a diocescan seminary (before joining the FSSP). He had to creep out of the seminary whenever he wanted to go to the TLM, and had to ensure that none of his superiors found out, otherwise he was very likely to be kicked out. Whether they knew, or they did not, he was a marked person during his time there. It is so sad when seminaries get to this state
(08-20-2011, 02:39 AM)Ygnacia Wrote: [ -> ]In case you haven't seen this article:

The rest of the article:

I got a message that the article did not exist at chantcafe.

(08-20-2011, 08:23 AM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]I got a message that the article did not exist at chantcafe.
I did, too. Try this http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/08/why-are...id-of.html
Two things:

Money, from rich old people.
Seminarians. Liberal bishops won't send theirs if the TLM is taught. More seminarians means more money.

So in the end its all about money.

I've seen this firsthand.
(08-20-2011, 08:29 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2011, 08:23 AM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]I got a message that the article did not exist at chantcafe.
I did, too. Try this http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/08/why-are...id-of.html

Thanks for your help.  That worked.
(08-20-2011, 09:18 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Two things:

Seminarians. Liberal bishops won't send theirs if the TLM is taught. More seminarians means more money.

You've seen this first hand?  In my experience, the laity for the most part have no idea what the seminary is like.  I could tell them that all seminarians walk backwards all day and they wouldn't no any different.  They're certainly not giving based on what they think the seminarians are learning in seminary (excepting alumni of specific seminaries who wish to give to their alumna mater).  The People of God are extremely generous and just happy that you're trying to discern God's will.  They for the most part have no knowledge of any of the political and ecclesial issues people talk about in chat rooms or blogs.
(08-20-2011, 10:27 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: [ -> ]

You've seen this first hand?  In my experience, the laity for the most part have no idea what the seminary is like.  I could tell them that all seminarians walk backwards all day and they wouldn't no any different.  They're certainly not giving based on what they think the seminarians are learning in seminary (excepting alumni of specific seminaries who wish to give to their alumna mater).  The People of God are extremely generous and just happy that you're trying to discern God's will.  They for the most part have no knowledge of any of the political and ecclesial issues people talk about in chat rooms or blogs.
Your average laity person isn't paying for seminary. It's the big wigs with the deep pockets. The seminary invites then to various events, to benefactors' masses, and wines and dines them.  Yes I've seen it first hand. Were you in the seminary?  I was directly involved in this.
(08-20-2011, 10:29 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2011, 10:27 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: [ -> ]

Your average laity person isn't paying for seminary. It's the big wigs with the deep pockets. The seminary invites then to various events, to benefactors' masses, and wines and dines them.  Yes I've seen it first hand. Were you in the seminary?  I was directly involved in this.

Yes, I'm currently in the seminary.  I my experience, you have two major funding sources for a seminary: the diocese and the seminary itself.  At my seminary, the diocese probably foots half the bill and the seminary foots the other half.  The diocese covers the bill with the diocesan campaign, and so the contributions can't be earmarked by the laity for certain seminarians.  The benefactors' Masses and dinners are typically for the seminary to cover their half of the bill.  And while at my seminary there is a lay board of alumni that advises the rector on decisions, they really can't determine what's taught in the seminary if Rome or the USCCB say otherwise.  There have been numerous times where I've heard alumni distressed that the seminary has become "too rigid".  However, the rector can't go against things coming down "from on high". 
In my experience, at two seminaries, it is certainly the cases that some seminaries opposed the TLM heavily.  And a large part of it has to do with funding, with how many seminarians they get.
They get funding from multiple dioceses and benefactors because funds are tight now because people don't go to Mass anymore: no donations.  Most dioceses have serious cashflow problems right now.  The Novus Ordo doesn't orient towards stewardship very well.
With the closing of many seminaries due to the death of vocations to the priesthood, most seminaries are now multi-diocesan.  That's a lot of master to serve, some of whom oppose the TLM.  If you want your seminary to be The Largest College Seminary in the Nation™ you're going to have to pander to the middle of your bishops group.  Put on albs to serve when the libs visit.  Put on the cassock when your local ordinary shows up.  It's two-faced and incredibly sad.

And good luck to you MeaMaximaCulpa.  Hope seminary doesn't crush your soul.  It tried to crush mine.  Hide your traditionalist literature.
Pages: 1 2