FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mass turned into political event
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So.  Went to an afternoon Mass on Friday.  It was the Vietnamese priest again.  Homily began after a short while.  He was preaching about love, as usual.  And then, he mentioned Warren Buffet.  Then he mentioned that there are two political parties in power, and that one of them has the nerve to protect the rich from getting taxed more.  He mentioned Bill Clinton's name later on.  And his homily ended with the slogan: "Yes We Can."

I believe that the Norvus Ordo Mass is vaild.  I think that this man is a priest, no matter how wrong his opinions are.  And I think it was the Body of Christ that we took. 

But after this episode...I may inconvenience the family a great deal now to get to that boring old FSSP Mass on the bad part of town.  I know we should focus on Christ and the prayer of the Mass more than the personality of a priest...but this one was bad.  He basically turned the Mass into a political event, and I could see winces and sniggers among the laity there. 

(08-21-2011, 01:37 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]So.  Went to an afternoon Mass on Friday.  It was the Vietnamese priest again.  Homily began after a short while.  He was preaching about love, as usual.  And then, he mentioned Warren Buffet.  Then he mentioned that there are two political parties in power, and that one of them has the nerve to protect the rich from getting taxed more.  He mentioned Bill Clinton's name later on.  And his homily ended with the slogan: "Yes We Can."

I believe that the Norvus Ordo Mass is vaild.  I think that this man is a priest, no matter how wrong his opinions are.  And I think it was the Body of Christ that we took. 

But after this episode...I may inconvenience the family a great deal now to get to that boring old FSSP Mass on the bad part of town.  I know we should focus on Christ and the prayer of the Mass more than the personality of a priest...but this one was bad.  He basically turned the Mass into a political event, and I could see winces and sniggers among the laity there. 

Sounds like there could be a potential IRS problem here. If I were you, I would contact the Bishop and simply say that you are concerned that Father seems to be endorsing one party over the other. You don't have to say that you're upset that he's endorsing the wrong party in your view, just that you are concerned for the Church's tax exempt status.
(08-21-2011, 01:37 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]But after this episode...I may inconvenience the family a great deal now to get to that boring old FSSP Mass on the bad part of town.  I know we should focus on Christ and the prayer of the Mass more than the personality of a priest...but this one was bad.
It WAS bad.  None of the faithful should be subjected to this kind of behavior from a priest.  Inconvenience the family.  It'll be good for them.
Am I supposed to be upset?

I mean really...we got tools on here talking about bilderburg this and bankers that, and iodine this and feminists between the toilet paper....and then they go to an NO....LOL
That's what we got....a whole generation of priests who are just lefty social workers with Roman collars.  Thanks, Liberation Theology.

Social justice is a valid part of the Church's mission, but only a part.  For some, the tail wags the dog.

Also, jovan's advice is excellent.

In the Nam he was probably considered a dangerous right wing weirdo. Jovan hit the nail on the head, and if in the letter you can appear to be neutral, and are only worried about the Bishop's possible troubles, he might do something. Of course I'm a cynic.

tim
(08-21-2011, 01:37 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]So.  Went to an afternoon Mass on Friday.  It was the Vietnamese priest again.  Homily began after a short while.  He was preaching about love, as usual.  And then, he mentioned Warren Buffet.  Then he mentioned that there are two political parties in power, and that one of them has the nerve to protect the rich from getting taxed more.  He mentioned Bill Clinton's name later on.  And his homily ended with the slogan: "Yes We Can."

Gen 4:3 And it came to pass after many days, that Cain offered, of the fruits of the earth, gifts to the Lord.
4 *Abel also offered of the firstlings of his flock, and of their fat: and the Lord had respect to Abel, and to his offerings.
5 But to Cain and his offerings he had no respect: and Cain was exceedingly angry, and his countenance fell.
6 And the Lord said to him: Why art thou angry? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou do well, shalt thou not receive? but if ill, shall not sin forthwith be present at the door? but the lust thereof shall be under thee, and thou shalt have dominion over it.

As God did not accept the sacrifice of Cain, so goes the NO and it's mass - it is ill and sinful.

Seek out the Holy Sacrifice and avoid the NO completely.
I attended Mass not long ago where the sermon was basically a Tea Party speech. I agreed with most of it, but it was still awkward as heck.
(08-21-2011, 01:44 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds like there could be a potential IRS problem here. If I were you, I would contact the Bishop and simply say that you are concerned that Father seems to be endorsing one party over the other. You don't have to say that you're upset that he's endorsing the wrong party in your view, just that you are concerned for the Church's tax exempt status.

With all due respect, I think the larger problem in the Church is the tax exempt status, because that means partnership with the government, which means subsevience to it..

Ablolish it and we might see some real sermons again. Complaining through bureaucratic channels seems to be the liberal way, and you're simply asking for more regulation. The Faith is counter-revolutionary. Has been for some time. Time to take the gloves off. 

Serioulsy, where has this tax exempt status gotten us? We can't even get conscience clauses for health care workers, and we can't even run adoption agencies anymore.

May be a short term soloution, but short term solutions are usually short-sighted. Give the priest a piece of your mind on the way out. We have to do some things ourselves people.
Pages: 1 2 3