FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Will have to choose - priest leaving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I think I have told a lot of this story in bits & pieces in other threads....but hear me out and let me know what you think.

So, after we moved to GA from the People's Republic of Massachusetts, we had to spend a few months church-shopping like Protestants, until finally, thanks to libby, we dug up a Latin NO at a parish with a PHENOMENAL priest.  About 4 months after we started there, he was rapidly and mysteriously banished.

The new pastor has permitted the Latin NO to continue, thanks to a visiting priest who is willing to offer it, but, in the meantime, he (the pastor) is definitely moving the parish in a happy-clappy direction....removal of the kneelers at the altar rail, many statues removed, "renovating" the confessionals into reconciliation rooms, etc.

Now, the visiting priest has gotten his own parish and will be leaving.  Smart money is on the Latin NO ending with his departure.  The TLM options are either FSSP or SSPX about an hour away, or go to NO in our territorial parish, about 10 min. from the house (not where we go now).  The deal is, The Boy is 12, and as of next year will need to be in CCD to get ready for confirmation.  So, SSPX is out, since my understanding is they lack the jurisdiction to confer the sacrament, is this correct?

FSSP would be OK, but the distance.....a long drive on Sundays is no big deal, but during the school year, taking him to CCD there would not be possible.....school, work, Mrs DS in school, etc.

So one option would be FSSP for Mass and the local NO parish for CCD.  Or else, just do everything at the local parish & live with the NO crap.

Short of miraculously getting TLM offered locally, any suggestions?
Going to Mass at the FSSP and doing everything but Mass at the most conservative Novus Ordo parish nearby is what I would do.
The SSPX can confirm your children. Technically they don't have jurisdiction to administer any of the sacraments but that doesn't affect the validity of the confirmation (or Mass for that matter). Given that your current parish seems to be watering down the faith then I think a good case for necessity could be made for having recourse to the Society. If you're uncomfortable with that perhaps you could go to the FSSP and see if the priest will let you prepare your son yourself (you'll probably do a better job than CCD). I believe that's what a few families in my traditional parish did this year.

If I were you I would go with FSSP, SSPX, and then Novus Ordo as a last resort.
The Latin NO is the mass no one ever grew up with - and pretty much completely contradicts the whole "vernacular = better understanding" fallacy, which was one of the biggest of all the charades perpetrated when the NO and it's mass was forced upon the then Catholic world.

Gen 4:3 And it came to pass after many days, that Cain offered, of the fruits of the earth, gifts to the Lord.
4 *Abel also offered of the firstlings of his flock, and of their fat: and the Lord had respect to Abel, and to his offerings.
5 But to Cain and his offerings he had no respect: and Cain was exceedingly angry, and his countenance fell.
6 And the Lord said to him: Why art thou angry? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou do well, shalt thou not receive? but if ill, shall not sin forthwith be present at the door? but the lust thereof shall be under thee, and thou shalt have dominion over it.

As God did not accept the sacrifice of Cain, so goes the NO and it's mass - it is ill and sinful.

Seek out the Holy Sacrifice and avoid the NO completely.
(08-21-2011, 10:57 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]Technically they don't have jurisdiction to administer any of the sacraments but that doesn't affect the validity of the confirmation

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  They don't have jurisdiction, but they can still confer the sacrament?  Could you explain a little more, please?
(08-21-2011, 11:10 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2011, 10:57 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]Technically they don't have jurisdiction to administer any of the sacraments but that doesn't affect the validity of the confirmation

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  They don't have jurisdiction, but they can still confer the sacrament?  Could you explain a little more, please?

SSPX priests can still validly celebrate five of the seven sacraments that do not require jurisdiction to be valid (the other two are a grey area). However, because they don't have permission to exercise any ministry from the bishop, the Masses are illicit. Valid but illicit, although the SSPX would argue that their ministry is exercised legitimately; but that's a whole other can of worms.
(08-21-2011, 11:26 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2011, 11:10 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]

SSPX priests can still validly celebrate five of the seven sacraments that do not require jurisdiction to be valid (the other two are a grey area). However, because they don't have permission to exercise any ministry from the bishop, the Masses are illicit. Valid but illicit, although the SSPX would argue that their ministry is exercised legitimately; but that's a whole other can of worms.

This is correct. The two sacraments that are debated are confession and matrimony because they require faculties to be valid unless there is an emergency (the SSPX argues the current crisis constitutes an emergency). 

I will add that driving an hour for mass seems like madness.  When I first heard from someone they were driving an hour just for the TLM I thought they were a nutter.  Now I do it every week. It's totally worth it.  I love my FSSP chapel.  I think you'll find it's doable and the level of instruction that your son will get will most likely be significantly superior. 
I would do the drive if it is at all possible.  I was recently in a similar situation in that it took 1 hr. to drive to our TLM.  They did not have Confession before/after the Mass, only on Fridays.  We started out doing the drive on Sundays for Mass and then going to the local NO for Confession and for a weekly group for the children.  After about 6 mo. of doing this, we just could not take it anymore.  One of the main problems - the class for children was often taught by lay people and their teaching was more Protestant than the Baptist church next door.  The children were completely out of control and our children were starting to follow their lead - after all if the kids behave this way in church and no one cares, it must be OK, right?  (i.e. climbing on the Tabernacle in the chapel and no, I am not kidding, one girl was actually doing this while the priest stood there and didn't care).  Needless to say, from experience we realized just how quickly everything we teach our kids can be undone through bad teachings and bad examples.  I will forever be very hesitant to put my child in any NO class - even if the priest is "teaching", unless it is a one time event, you normally end up with lay people teaching/guest lecturing.  I would say it is difficult but COMPLETELY worth the drive one hour each way twice a week for the FSSP church... Think of it as perfect prayer/Rosary time. :)
(08-21-2011, 10:48 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Now, the visiting priest has gotten his own parish and will be leaving.  Smart money is on the Latin NO ending with his departure.  The TLM options are either FSSP or SSPX about an hour away, or go to NO in our territorial parish, about 10 min. from the house (not where we go now).  The deal is, The Boy is 12, and as of next year will need to be in CCD to get ready for confirmation.  So, SSPX is out, since my understanding is they lack the jurisdiction to confer the sacrament, is this correct?

FSSP would be OK, but the distance.....a long drive on Sundays is no big deal, but during the school year, taking him to CCD there would not be possible.....school, work, Mrs DS in school, etc.
I don't know about your FSSP parish, but normally the FSSP is aware of this problem (which exists for most of their attendants) and arranges first communion and confirmation instructions in such a way that no extra drive is needed, i.e. after sunday mass. At least that's the case in the FSSP parishes I know. Talk to your local FSSP priests about it.
(08-21-2011, 12:55 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]When I first heard from someone they were driving an hour just for the TLM I thought they were a nutter.  Now I do it every week. It's totally worth it.

I heard a story once about an African woman that had both legs amputated but who nevertheless made a 3km walk all by herself every Sunday just to hear mass.

We're all spoiled brats here, we have it easy. Must of us don't know what true faith is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7