FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question about EF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, so I've been going to the EF for a few years and I follow along with my Latin to English booklet. I do know what's going on in regards to the Priest's role however, I'm still learning about the other details. I recently went to a knew church for the EF and they were singing hymns in English and they did not perform the ordinaries of the mass. Is this consider to be normal? I was quite miserable for basically the entire mass and definitely will not be returning.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
(08-22-2011, 01:27 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so I've been going to the EF for a few years and I follow along with my Latin to English booklet. I do know what's going on in regards to the Priest's role however, I'm still learning about the other details. I recently went to a knew church for the EF and they were singing hymns in English and they did not perform the ordinaries of the mass. Is this consider to be normal? I was quite miserable for basically the entire mass and definitely will not be returning.

The ordinaries?  No Canon, no introit, no Kyrie?  Do you know what was missing?  However, at the SSPX parish I attend, English hymns in the mass propers are occasional and ones after and during processional are common.  Sorry if I don't know exactly what you're asking, but if you described what they skipped, I can throw something out there.
I don't know about hymns in English, we do it as the EF I go to now, and I hate it.  Leaving out the ordinaries is certainly not normal.  Though, I have to ask, are you positive they did not do it, or is it possible you missed it?  I have been going to TLM for about 5 years now, and still have plenty to learn, and I get lost in my missal pretty often.
That was common practice before the Second Vatican Council, in Europe, America and Australia. The priest would pray the ordinary and the propers at the altar, whilst the lay people would sing hymns in the vernacular. It's a pretty awful practice in my opinion, but that was commonly how the TLM was celebrated in the earlier half of the 20th century. Seems like that parish is just keeping with 20th century 'tradition.'

The 20th century was a truly awful time.
(08-22-2011, 01:27 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so I've been going to the EF for a few years and I follow along with my Latin to English booklet. I do know what's going on in regards to the Priest's role however, I'm still learning about the other details. I recently went to a knew church for the EF and they were singing hymns in English and they did not perform the ordinaries of the mass. Is this consider to be normal? I was quite miserable for basically the entire mass and definitely will not be returning.

Was this a low Mass? 
Was it a low mass?  It's common for ethnically German or Polish parishes to sing in vernacular throughout a low Mass.
(08-22-2011, 01:38 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Was it a low mass?  It's common for ethnically German or Polish parishes to sing in vernacular throughout a low Mass.

Beat you to it! 
(08-22-2011, 01:39 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2011, 01:38 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Was it a low mass?  It's common for ethnically German or Polish parishes to sing in vernacular throughout a low Mass.

Beat you to it! 
Because I was explaining!
(08-22-2011, 01:39 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]

Beat you to it! 

I actually hadn't heard specifically of ethnically German and Polish parishes doing that. But, I have seen Low Masses that have hymns sung in the vernacular during the entrance, offertory, communion, and exit.  I was thinking perhaps the OP had never seen a Low Mass done this way before. 
(08-22-2011, 01:43 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2011, 01:39 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]

Beat you to it! 

I actually hadn't heard specifically of ethnically German and Polish parishes doing that. But, I have seen Low Masses that have hymns sung in the vernacular during the entrance, offertory, communion, and exit.  I was thinking perhaps the OP had never seen a Low Mass done this way before. 
Apparently this sort of thing is very common in these parishes. It's a pretty established local tradition brought from Germany and Poland and that region there.
I first encountered it at a Polish parish. That was a fun parish to visit. had lightbulbs everywhere, surrounding all the statue's alcove, lining pillars, all up and down the high altar - apparently the parish had money back when this sort of thing was new. Looked like a giant dressing room mirror or a carnival.
Pages: 1 2 3