FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: NFP "Requirement"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
LM and I are getting ready for marriage and will be starting "marriage prep" with the DRE of my parish on Thursday. A bunch of us more traditionally minded youth were talking to him after last night's softball game, and he was saying how NFP is almost mandated now, and we have to go through the pastor if we don't want to do it. One friend who is the best spokesperson of the group was giving points against NFP and the rest of us were chiming in and adding thoughts/concerns.

The DRE was saying everything for NFP even though he also said that he's not the one mandating it.

Points against it and "answers" from DRE
It's only for grace circumstances which we don't have----Grave isn't clearly defined and it's left up to individual's (well-formed) conscience and you can use it to conceive too

most people don't know about it---but the small percentage of us who do, do not agree with it and should not be mandated to take this course
It has been called and thought of as the "Catholic contraception"---but that's their interpretation, not what it really is (But that's how it's presented!  :realmad:)

We went on about this for a while and nothing was resolved. DRE said the best point made was that people could be tempted to use it to contracept because they know it.

Besides the bad presentation, it costs $89, which we don't want to spend. The single point for it that I thought was good was that it shows women how to chart and has them chart for 6 months to make sure their cycles are regular and healthy. Does someone know about this already who can share their knowledge? I don't think the whole class is worth taking for that small part. Can I just google what I need to know?

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas?
I don't know what DRE means (cept fa doctah Dre!)  but I know that Kayla and I have to (have to) take this weekend retreat at St Thomas's wherein I'm sure they'll be telling us the same thing.

Except ours costs like 130 or something so at least you didn't have to pay that much.  :laughing:
The DRE told you what you have to do to get exempt from the NFP training: go through the pastor.

But if this is a diocesan church if doubt you will be made exempt otherwise everyone who wanted to use artificial birth control would make the same claims to get out of the course. 
We just sat through our mandatory marriage prep class and pretty much ignored all proceedings.I may have brought a book with me in fact and I wrote nonsense on all the questionnaire type stuff. The "Marraige prep" class was nothing other than a an extended brow beating about how to contracept the catholic way. Don't sweat it. Just get it out of the way.
We had to go to a weekend retreat for our marriage prep, and they briefly discussed NFP.  A woman who taught an NFP class for our diocese gave an overview of what we would learn if we took a full NFP class, and she stressed that it can be a tool to help with conceiving, instead of focusing on avoiding pregnancy (although this was mentioned).  She told her story and how she had a few miscarriages and couldn't figure out what was wrong, but through that particular method of NFP (and other testing), she figured out she had a health issue that could be fixed simply.  She went on to have four healthy kids.  So, it definitely can be used in a positive way.  I'm still considering taking an NFP class in case we have issues conceiving or if we need to use it for some reason down the line.  A lot of the women on Fisheaters have talked about how they like NFP for the fact that it helps you understand your body better and what is going on during various times in your cycle.  I don't know.  I wouldn't make a big deal about it.  Just go and try to get a little bit out of it if you can. 
I don't "just deal" with things. I fight.
If I can't get out of it, I'm contacting a Canon lawyer / priest I know well. All Catholics properly disposed have a right to the sacrament. They can't require a class that teaches something incorrect.
The fact is the teachers are very big on using nfp constantly as a contraceptive, and they talk in an embarrassing way. Furthermore, LG's parents have told her not to attend. So there's a commandment to deal with.
I don't think anyone said "just deal" with it.  I was just saying that I think there can be good things learned from an NFP class.  If you guys have some issues conceiving, you might be happy you learned about it now so you don't have to wait the time it takes to get up to speed later.  Maybe not.  I also don't know exactly what would be "incorrect" about the class.  NFP isn't inherently wrong.  It can be abused, but learning about the way to chart isn't going to make you use it in a bad way.  If you really want to get out of the class and are able to, then get out of it.  But if it is required by your diocese, I don't really see the point of making a fuss.  But that's just me.
(08-23-2011, 10:14 AM)rose Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think anyone said "just deal" with it.  I was just saying that I think there can be good things learned from an NFP class.  If you guys have some issues conceiving, you might be happy you learned about it now so you don't have to wait the time it takes to get up to speed later.  Maybe not.  I also don't know exactly what would be "incorrect" about the class.  NFP isn't inherently wrong.  It can be abused, but learning about the way to chart isn't going to make you use it in a bad way.  If you really want to get out of the class and are able to, then get out of it.  But if it is required by your diocese, I don't really see the point of making a fuss.  But that's just me.
As we've already mentioned the class is taught in a way that indicates that nfp is catholic contraceptive. We're going to pay $90 to argue with people (because I don't just deal with things, I will confront the instructors). 
Anything you can learn from a class can be learned from a book, a knowledgeable friend who has learned, or Google.  Yes NFP might be good to learn, just like it's good to know how to kill a man should grave circumstances arrive, or how to survive in the wilderness.
(08-23-2011, 10:20 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2011, 10:14 AM)rose Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think anyone said "just deal" with it.  I was just saying that I think there can be good things learned from an NFP class.  If you guys have some issues conceiving, you might be happy you learned about it now so you don't have to wait the time it takes to get up to speed later.  Maybe not.  I also don't know exactly what would be "incorrect" about the class.  NFP isn't inherently wrong.  It can be abused, but learning about the way to chart isn't going to make you use it in a bad way.  If you really want to get out of the class and are able to, then get out of it.  But if it is required by your diocese, I don't really see the point of making a fuss.  But that's just me.

As we've already mentioned the class is taught in a way that indicates that nfp is catholic contraceptive. We're going to pay $90 to argue with people (because I don't just deal with things, I will confront the instructors). 
Anything you can learn from a class can be learned from a book, a knowledgeable friend who has learned, or Google.  Yes NFP might be good to learn, just like it's good to know how to kill a man should grave circumstances arrive, or how to survive in the wilderness.

But you can get out of it, right?  Would your Pastor be inclined to give you dispensation from it?
Is the DRE mentioned in the OP the person who will be teaching the class?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10