FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Monastery Etiquette
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Next weekend I will be staying at a monastery for two nights / three days. I have never done anything like this. I have looked around the internet for etiquette, but haven't been able to find anything from a Roman perspective.

This article is from an Eastern perspective: http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/monastery_etiquette.aspx

Does anyone have any advice for me?

PS
I am typing this from my phone and can't figure out how to copy the text from the above link. Sorry.

Which Order will you be with?  If it's the Benedictines just go with the flow and look like you know what you're doing, if it's the Carmelites, just stay quiet and look like you're praying and you'll be sorted.  If it's a Jesuit retreat.. I'll pray for you Sticking tongue out at you and if it's the Dominicans you have two choice: don't say a word or say something that sounds smart and don't let the other guy get in a word edge-wise.
They are Benedictines.

Here is a link: http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/
(08-28-2011, 11:06 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]They are Benedictines.

Here is a link: http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/

Just pack everything you need, and then ask them what you should do when you get there.  Benedictines receive guests all the time, and the customs of each place differ.  So just ask one of the monks how you should behave when you get there.
I want to visit Clear Creek too.

One thing I remember from a Benedictine retreat is you are supposed to change the sheets on the bed when you leave.

Please give us a report on Clear Creek after your retreat !

Adam,
The Orthodox link looks pretty sound.  The only thing I would probably say differently, especially in a Benedictine monastery, is that you should not verbally greet any of the monks except the guestmaster, those to whom he introduces you, the priest to whom you may confess, and any monk who speaks first to you.  A short nod is appropriate when passing a monk outside.  Some monastery rules forbid monks from speaking to outsiders without permission, so don't expect greetings or verbal exchanges, except with the guestmaster.

Also never trespass on the inner cloister.  This is usually marked in a Benedictine monastery with small signs on the doors.  Cloister is only for professed monks and those in formation.  IF you are allowed in the cloister for whatever reason, do not speak unless spoken too, do not go off on your own and never enter a monk's cell.  Also there are areas of the grounds which are considered part of the cloister, do not enter these either.

Make sure you know which hours you are allowed to pray with the monks and where you should sit when you do.  The guestmaster will be happy to answer these questions for you.  There may be breviaries for the guests available for use in the chapel.  Some monasteries will set the ribbons properly for each hour for the guests.  Unless you know what you're doing don't sing along.  In the chapel, also be quiet and reverent.  During the hours of common prayer, arrive on time and do not leave early.  Wait for the monks to leave the chapel in procession before you leave unless instructed otherwise.  Hope that helps.  That makes it look like Benedictines are all about rules and forbidden spaces, but Benedictines are actually very generous.  The rules are there to foster their life of prayer.  In entering the monastery you are entering essentially into a living prayer.  Remember this and you should be fine. Smile
I do not care for Orthodoxinfo.com at all, but from skimming through the list it seems pretty accurate to me of what happens at Eastern monasteries.

I've never been to a Benedictine monastery but Landelinus' advice seems sound.

I hope you have a great experience there!
(08-28-2011, 05:50 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]I do not care for Orthodoxinfo.com at all
Not to derail this thread, but I have to agree with you about Orthodoxinfo.com.  I found it a couple of years back and marveled at its anti-Latin bias.  I didn't realize at the time that it was all put together by a Protestant convert.  Anti-Romanism is a hard habit to kick, I guess.
I know about the link folks.  It was all I could find concerning this topic.  This is why I come here with my question.  I was hoping for a traditional Catholic perspective.  Thank you all!
Pages: 1 2 3 4