FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Private of the Week: getting used to Catholic Culture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Friends :hello!: ,

Recently, agnostics and atheists have put up a unified front against the Church I was just baptised into on April 23. It has been a tough battle, but the faith of our Fathers is still with me. I've been thinking of a way to keep the faith: relying on the saints for help, on the blessed Virgin for protection, and upon God our Holy Lord for salvation and heavenly aid. Here's an idea: a personal morning and evening para-liturgy in my heart!

I want to find a good manner of arranging prayers so as to get the maximum courage, energy, and love of God out of rising each blessed morning and going to my rest each night. Because I am an "Adventist" - in that the Incarnation is my favourite object of contemplation - I put great emphasis on the union of Body and Soul in the human being; thus, most of the prayers of this "service" are taken from the Propers of Advent. So far I've just gotten the Morning done.

This is a traditionally-minded substitute for the Divine Office when one doesn't have it or can't afford it, not a replacement. Any prayers, ideas, or additions?

THE PRIVATE OF THE WEEK: MORNING

Make a profound bow toward the Crucifix, saying:
Master, teach me (us).
Magister, doce me (nos).

I. SALUTATION

Kneel and address Christ figured in the Crucifix, saying:
The night is passed, and the day is at hand.
Nox praecessit, et dies autem appropinquavit.

Rest both hands over your heart and bow your head, proceeding with:
Rejoice, my soul: take off the works of darkness, and put on the armour of light.
Gaudete, anima mea: abjiciamus opera tenebrarum, et induamur arma lucis.

Clasp your hands in prayer and begin:
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit: Amen.
In Nomine Patris, et Filii, + et Spiritus Sancti: Amen.

Profess the Nicene Creed as in the Holy Mass, except touching your forehead to the ground at the words:
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary: and became man.
et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto, ex Maria Virgine: et homo factus est.

II. REMEMBRANCE OF THE BLESSED TRINITY

Blessed be the most holy and undivided Trinity, both now and forevermore: Amen.

Radiant God, light of lights, illumination of my heart: I adore Thee, and praise Thy Holy Name unto the ends of the Earth. Though I give way under my sins, Thy wisdom shall guide my soul out of darkness, away from evil, and into the light of Christ, the blessed Saviour Thou hast sent to consecrate the world. Almighty Father; Creator and Maker; Omnipotent and Undying Spirit of Great Glory: I worship Thee. Holy Lord Jesus Christ; Human and Divine; Redeemer and Purifier of Wondrous Majesty: I venerate Thee. Most Holy Spirit of God; Fire of Heaven and Light of the World; Who hovered over the Waters of Eternity: I glorify Thee.

Heavenly Father: Holy, Perfect, Merciful, Just, and Noble One: my Lord, my God, I love Thee with all my soul and trust in Thy mercy. I thank Thee for the gift of life: for preserving my blood in its veins throughout the night, for ordering my breathing in its right ways in sleep, and for conducting my whole being while I was at rest. Help me to rise in justice, and to follow Thy precepts: loving Thy holiness in the morning, at noontide, and at the setting of the sun.

I adore Thee, O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by thy cross thou hast redeemed the world.
Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per crucem tuam redemisti mundum.

Come, O holy Spirit, fill the hearts of thy faithful, and enkindle within them the fire of thy love.
Veni, sancte Spiritus, reple tuorum corda fidelium, et tui amoris in eis ignem accende.

Bowing profoundly, pray:
Glory be to the Father...
Gloria Patri...

III. PRAYERS OF THE HEART

Recommendations: for the Pope, for the Bishops, for Priests, for the whole world, for the sick, for the dying, and for your person.

Bowing to the Crucifix, end with:
Lord Jesus Christ: to Thee have I lifted up my soul; have mercy on me. Thou who rulest Israel: hear my prayer.
Domine Jesu Christe: ad te levavi anima meam; miserere mei. Qui regis Israel: exaudi orationem meam.

IV THE ADDRESSES

Oh Ancient of Days: that all these things may come to pass and be done, I pray Thee in the manner taught us by our Lord and Saviour:

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done: on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation: but deliver us from evil: Amen.

Now, Master, I turn my face to Thy blessed children: to those who kept watch and have now entered into the joy of their Lord. Look upon my face, and know that I glorify these, Thy saints, so that Thou alone may be glorified in them. Hear me through them, I beseech Thee, that their prayers may be edifying both to my soul and to all souls scattered throughout the world, especially those who endure the Cleansing. So thus do first I look to your blessed Mother:

Turning to an holy icon of the blessed Virgin, or embracing her in your soul, pray the Angelic Salutation, concluding with:
Pray, Mother of God, most blessed Virgin: that the whole human race may come to embrace the Lord, your Son, with love and humility.

Turning toward the Crucifix, pray:
Blessed Saint Gabriel the Archangel, holy and wise, steward of God's wisdom and messenger of His revelation: pray for us all.
Blessed Saint Michael the Archangel, holy and noble, appointed by the Master to guide the armies of Heaven: defend us all in battle.
Blessed Saint Raphael the Archangel: holy and humble, given the Lord's healing touch to comfort our wounds: pray for us all.

Saint Nicholas*, wise bishop and loving shepherd: pray for us all, that God may enlighten us with a sense of justice suitable to see the truth this day.
Saint Thomas Aquinas*, angelic doctor and light of reason: pray for us all, that God may preserve us in the prudence needed to hear the truth this day.
Saint John Chrysostom*, glorious doctor of radiant words: pray for us all, that God may give us the fortitude required to speak only what is true this day.
Saint Joseph*, chaste spouse and righteous man of the Old Law: pray for us all, that God may donate the prudence necessary to act truly this day.
Saint Ignatius Loyola*, humbled soldier and militant warrior of Heaven: pray for us all, that God may grant us lively faith this day.
Saint Dominic Savio*, holy youth and innocent advocate of God: pray for us all, that He may grant us lively hope this day.
Saint(s) X**, holy brother(s)/sister(s) in Heaven, bringer(s) of great joy: pray for us all, that God may grant us lively charity this day.

V. THANKSGIVING

Lord, I unite my soul with every voice in Heaven: with these my brethren, with the angels, and with all the holy saints, who praise Thee for eternal and infinite ages, lauding Thee by proclaiming:

Say or sing the Te Deum, touching your forehead to the ground as you say:
We pray Thee, therefore: help us, Thy servants: whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy precious Blood.
Te, ergo, quaesumus, tuis famulis subveni: quos pretioso sanguine redemisti.

Having completed the Hymn, stand and bow profoundly toward the Crucifix , concluding:
I ask you this*** through Him Who, with Thee, liveth and reigneth in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, unto the age of ages. +

VI. RESOLUTION

Standing upright, contemplate the Crucifix in silence, and pray the resolution proper to the day.

+

* - substitute your "favourite" saints or the ones you are most devoted to.
** - the saint whose feast falls on the current day.
*** - a conclusion to the prayer "let me never be confounded" of the Te Deum.

---

RESOLUTION ON SUNDAY MORNING

Almighty Father, it is truly just that I should, rising on this triumphant day, give thanks to Thee: holy and eternal God. He Whom Thou, clement and faithful, promised as a Saviour to the lost race of men, has instructed the ignorant in truth, justified the impious with sanctity, and strengthened the weak with virtue. Therefore, while the eternal day of our deliverance shines forth, burning bright on the infinite horizon, I exult in pious joy and thank Thee for the gift of life, ever confident in Thy holy will. With my brethren the Saints, with the holy Angels and great Archangels, and with all the wondrous spirits who fill the ranks of the celestial army, I shall honour Thee, praise Thee with every fiber of my being, and worship Thee with my whole soul on this victorious day, in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, through Whom You have enlightened the World.

RESOLUTION ON FRIDAY MORNING

Almighty Father, it is truly righteous that I should, rising on this sorrowful day, offer repentance to Thee: holy and eternal God. He Whose arms Thou, wise and omnipotent, suffered to be spread across the breadth of the cruel tree, has preached justice in suffering, forgiven the evil in mercy, and bathed the wicked in His Blood. Therefore, while the sun rises on this crimson day, immolating the holy Lamb of God, I exult in penitential joy and beg Thy clemency on me, ever hoping in Thy providence. With my brethren the Saints, with the silent Angels and Archangels, and with all the mourning spirits who fill the ranks of the celestial army, I shall honour the sacrifice of Thy Son, humbly glorify Thy sanctity, and surely proclaim the Kingdom as Thine, in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, through Whom Thou hast redeemed the World.

RESOLUTION ON SATURDAY MORNING

Almighty Father, it is truly fitting that I should, rising on this expectant day, give humble supplication to Thee: holy and eternal God. He Whom Thou, patiently and meekly, saw lowered into a tomb, has silenced the proud by His lowliness, fulfilled all righteousness by His majesty, and freed the lost by His humility. Therefore, while the stars dwindle into morning light, illuminating the hope that is buried in the Earth, I exult in whispers and humbly put my life before Thee, ever watching for Thy Son. With my brethren the Saints, with the Angels and Archangels in arms, and with all the militant spirits who fill the ranks of the celestial army, I shall honour Him Who has descended into chaos, keep my soul in quiet prayer, and fight with confidence in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, through Whom Thou hast cast down the ruler of this World.
(08-30-2011, 02:15 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]Recently, agnostics and atheists have put up a unified front against the Church I was just baptised into on April 23. It has been a tough battle, but the faith of our Fathers is still with me. I've been thinking of a way to keep the faith: relying on the saints for help, on the blessed Virgin for protection, and upon God our Holy Lord for salvation and heavenly aid. Here's an idea: a personal morning and evening para-liturgy in my heart!

I want to find a good manner of arranging prayers so as to get the maximum courage, energy, and love of God out of rising each blessed morning and going to my rest each night.

Interesting. I'm sure a reading of the daily Martyrology would also help with that; "Fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell."
The soul always comes first, my friend.  ;D Lovely idea! Let's see...
nice. have you considered the divine office for the layity put out by the SSPX?

not the entire offcie mind you. but it is a great way to train for the offcie and it has the best introduction ever written on the office
sip
and its cheap, for the quality of bindings and paper it is produced on

I begin each day by starting the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary very early(Matins) and finish the day with the last prayers of the Little Office (Compline). Being retired makes it easy for me to complete about 12-15 Rosaries a day.

The Little Office of the BVM is shorter and less complicated than the Liturgy of the Hours but is very similar.  Maybe someday I can learn the LOTH.
DK,

Could you provide a link for the Divine Office for the laity by the SSPX. I'm interested in it for my children. Did quick search and I am coming up with links to LOTH?

Is it available at Angelus Press? On my phone now, but thought I would ask before it slipped my mind.
It is NOT the loth.
Thats for sure. The précis for theboaity p put by sspx is amazing
it is the offcie just shrunk dos. For the laity. 7 days a week with only 3 hours per day but a full Sunday ickuding vespers
again I cannot stress it enough
expeccally for begginers orthose who do not have thr time forthright full office
in Latin and English
very sturdy bindings and lare ttxt, and the best I troductjon wver written fr it
I csnt seem to fin a link page
I'm o. My phone too.
In sure icsn get it through angelus
when I'm home I'll call it up
I csn stress it enough
a perect way to train yourself for the full offcie
sip
(08-30-2011, 06:44 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]It is NOT the loth.
Thats for sure. The précis for theboaity p put by sspx is amazing
it is the offcie just shrunk dos. For the laity. 7 days a week with only 3 hours per day but a full Sunday ickuding vespers
again I cannot stress it enough
expeccally for begginers orthose who do not have thr time forthright full office
in Latin and English
very sturdy bindings and lare ttxt, and the best I troductjon wver written fr it
I csnt seem to fin a link page
I'm o. My phone too.
In sure icsn get it through angelus
when I'm home I'll call it up
I csn stress it enough
a perect way to train yourself for the full offcie
sip

Any chance for a link?
ok

http://www.angeluspress.org/oscatalog/advanced_search_result2.php?PHPSESSID=&keywords=divine+office&x=0&y=0

NOTE
it i snot the entire Office. but its in my opinion a stupendous achievement. as its accessible to everyone. and a great way to train yourself for the entire office.
sip sip

(08-30-2011, 09:08 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]ok

http://www.angeluspress.org/oscatalog/advanced_search_result2.php?PHPSESSID=&keywords=divine+office&x=0&y=0

NOTE
it i snot the entire Office. but its in my opinion a stupendous achievement. as its accessible to everyone. and a great way to train yourself for the entire office.
sip sip

Thank you DK, I would have never known as it is not very descriptive. But I will take your rave reviews to the bank and put in an order for my oldest child.
Pages: 1 2