FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Best Missal For My Situation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I fell away from the Church as a young teen and just came back about 3 – 4 years ago (I am 33 right now).  I attend an NO Mass.  The NO is all I know.  The closest TLM is about 2 – 3 hours away.  Going there is simply not feasible.

Over the last year or so I have become increasingly “traditional” in my approach towards Catholicism.  I have been lurking around the forum here and just recently signed up.

Anyways, with the new translation being used starting the 1st day of Advent I am interested in buying a new Missal.

So…which one?

Can I use a pre-V II Missal and still be able to follow along?

Is there a Missal that maybe has traditional Latin and the new translation together side-by-side?

Which Missal should I get since I am interested in TLM but have no choice to go to an NO Mass?

:help:
Get the "New Roman Missal" by Fr. Lasance.
http://www.traditionalcatholicgoods.com/...duct_id=48&

All traditional missals have English and Latin side-by-side. There's no reason to buy a modern missal since it's all in English anyway.

My favorites are actually prayer books like the "My Prayer-book" by Fr. Lasance. It has the Ordinary from the Mass as a reference, but the best part is all the different methods of praying the Mass. It has appropriate prayers for you to say at each part of the Mass, so you unite yourself with the priest, but not with the same exact words. So you basically associate yourself with the essence of what's going on in the Mass as it applies to you as a layman. Historically, that's how people have traditionally assisted at Mass.

I would think it would be difficult to follow the traditional rite at the New Mass, since there's so much you have to do there--responses, singing, holding hands, etc. If you got a traditional missal, it would be with a view to studying the Mass and eventually getting to a traditional Mass regularly in the future.
charlesh provided a very good link. Get that Missal.

Rather than go to the NO "mass" that God does not like or want, stay home and read your prayer book (from the link above) best as you can. In time, God will take care of you once He sees you are sincere and will make it easier for you to get to the Holy Sacrifice.

One thing you or anyone should never do is participate in the abomination as though it (the NO) is a type of substitute or alternative to the Propitious Sacrifice.
(08-30-2011, 02:56 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Can I use a pre-V II Missal and still be able to follow along?

Not really.  The old missal's kalendar is annual, whereas the new missal is tri-annual.  Very few propers are the same.  The ordo, as you must have read by now, is also quite different.

(08-30-2011, 02:56 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Which Missal should I get since I am interested in TLM but have no choice to go to an NO Mass?

You always have the choice to stay home and avoid the evil of that blasphemous event.

As far as the best missal, the one charlesh linked to may be out of stock there, as it no longer appears in searches.  The reprint publisher will have another printing out in October.  From what I've gathered, that missal is especially popular among SSPV, CMRI and some independent trads as it lacks the Bugnini "innovations" and apparently retains the old octaves.  For a missal that conforms to the editio typica of 1962, you can't go wrong with Angelus Press's latest edition.  Baronius Press is fine.  St. Andrew is renowned for great notes.  Strange how the 21st century is a world of wonderful tradCath reprints!
You can learn about the TLM and pray along with it online, for example, at www.sanctamissa.org.  In the meantime, pray and discern whether you should be going to the NO that you can get to.  It is not the simple matter that other posters in this thread portray it as.  Stopping attending Mass is a drastic step.
I like this one a little better than my Fr. Lasance Roman Missal. it is St. Andrew Daily Missal. It has the same for each day, but it has very good expanations for the seasons or specific saints immediately preceeding the Feast or the Season. It's not made as well but here's the link.

http://www.libers.com/sam.htm

tim
There are still many reverently offered NO Masses that are valid, and if your only option to fulfill your Holy Day obligation is at an NO Mass than find the most reverently offered one.

Those who say to stay at home and pray on your own if there is no TLM available are wrong.

The First Precept of the Church require all Catholics to assist at Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of the year. [if physically able]

The Church does not teach to only fulfill your Sunday and holyday obligation when there is a TLM available.

And this comes from someone who has an extremely hard time going to any NO, even a reverently offered one.
Here is a copy of the Newly corrected Missal that will be offered in every NO Mass come Advent:

http://ctscatholiccompass.org/roman-miss...resources/
(08-30-2011, 02:56 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]The NO is all I know.  The closest TLM is about 2 – 3 hours away.  Going there is simply not feasible.

An Open Letter to Confused Catholics, Chapter 4:
http://www.sspxasia.com/Documents/Archbi.../index.htm

Furthermore it can be said without any exaggeration whatsoever, that the majority of Masses celebrated without altar stones, with common vessels, leavened bread, with the introduction of profane words into the very body of the Canon, etc., are sacrilegious, and they prevent faith by diminishing it. The desacralization is such that these Masses can come to lose their supernatural character, “the mystery of faith,” and become no more than acts of natural religion.

Your perplexity takes perhaps the following form: may I assist at a sacrilegious Mass which is nevertheless valid, in the absence of any other, in order to satisfy my Sunday obligation? The answer is simple: these Masses cannot be the object of an obligation; we must moreover apply to them the rules of moral theology and canon law as regards the participation or the attendance at an action which endan- gers the faith or may be sacrilegious.

The New Mass, even when said with piety and respect for the liturgical rules, is subject to the same reservations since it is impregnated with the spirit of Protestantism. It bears within it a poison harmful to the faith. That being the case the...Catholic of today finds himself in the conditions of religious practice which prevail in missionary countries. There, the inhabitants in some regions are able to attend Mass only three or four times a year. The faithful of  our country should make the effort to attend once each month at the Mass of All Time, the true source of grace and sanctification, in one of those places where it continues to be held in honor.
(08-30-2011, 05:23 PM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2011, 02:56 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]The NO is all I know.  The closest TLM is about 2 – 3 hours away.  Going there is simply not feasible.

An Open Letter to Confused Catholics, Chapter 4:
http://www.sspxasia.com/Documents/Archbi.../index.htm

Furthermore it can be said without any exaggeration whatsoever, that the majority of Masses celebrated without altar stones, with common vessels, leavened bread, with the introduction of profane words into the very body of the Canon, etc., are sacrilegious, and they prevent faith by diminishing it. The desacralization is such that these Masses can come to lose their supernatural character, “the mystery of faith,” and become no more than acts of natural religion.

Your perplexity takes perhaps the following form: may I assist at a sacrilegious Mass which is nevertheless valid, in the absence of any other, in order to satisfy my Sunday obligation? The answer is simple: these Masses cannot be the object of an obligation; we must moreover apply to them the rules of moral theology and canon law as regards the participation or the attendance at an action which endan- gers the faith or may be sacrilegious.

The New Mass, even when said with piety and respect for the liturgical rules, is subject to the same reservations since it is impregnated with the spirit of Protestantism. It bears within it a poison harmful to the faith. That being the case the...Catholic of today finds himself in the conditions of religious practice which prevail in missionary countries. There, the inhabitants in some regions are able to attend Mass only three or four times a year. The faithful of  our country should make the effort to attend once each month at the Mass of All Time, the true source of grace and sanctification, in one of those places where it continues to be held in honor.
THIS.  Pray
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9