FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: President Kennedy's Missal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I wrote to the LBJ Library earlier this month inquiring about the book on which Johnson swore his Oath of Office November 22, 1963, as there had been some disagreement on this forum and apparently between different published accounts regarding what exactly Johnson had used for his Oath.  The Library has responded, informing me it is, indeed, John F. Kennedy's Missal (!!!), and included the following information and pictures. 

Title: Saint Joseph Sunday Missal
Maker: Hoever, Hugo H.; Cassidy, Bernard A.; Catholic Book Publishing Co.
Description: Hardcover book, no jacket. Leather slip cover. Gilt page edges. Copyright 1953, 1957, 1960 by publisher.  "A Simplified Arrangement of Praying the Mass on all Sundays and Feast Days with a Treasury of Prayer / Large Type / Latin-English Edition / Edited by Rev. Hugo H. Hoever, S.C.Cist, Ph.D." Illustrations. 479 pages. The front of the black leather cover has a simple untooled cross against a textured background. There is a simple chalice on the back of the cover. Spine and borders are plain and untooled. Inside front cover there are large letters: "JFK" against a textured background. The edges of the cover are overcast with black leather thong. Label added to title page: "The leather cover designed and hand-tooled in genuine calfskin by Bernard A. Cassidy / 38 Roosevelt Road / Medford, Mass." No inscription.
Measurements: 6 3/4" x 4 1/2" x 1 1/8"

[Image: 1979.4.1.jpeg]

[Image: 1979.4.1_%25255B1%25255D.jpeg]

If anyone would like the pictures in their original, larger size, PM me your email.
That is awesome Tmw! We have to give a tip of the hat to the people at the Johnson Library for actually responding (did they also supply you with the pictures?). 

So, Lyndon Johnson got sworn in on a Pre-Vatican II missal.  That's kind of funny.

Perhaps more shocking was that Kennedy was using the 1956 missal instead of the 1962 missal!  Perhaps he was a sede in the making!!!

Also, I use the same missal as President Kennedy (although I use the 1961 Saint Joesph Daily missal) Big Grin 
Pics were also provided by the LBJ Library.  For all the info and the pics, they are my inaugural People of the Week.

The last copyright being 1960, it would have featured all the Bugnini innovations (minus St. Joseph in the Canon, of course) - hardly a fit Missal for most sedes!
(08-31-2011, 09:19 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]Pics were also provided by the LBJ Library.  For all the info and the pics, they are my inaugural People of the Week.

The last copyright being 1960, it would have featured all the Bugnini innovations (minus St. Joseph in the Canon, of course) - hardly a fit Missal for most sedes!

Some sedes use the 1956 missal (for example Wulfrano).  A 1960 missal should still be missing the changes promulgated by John XXIII regarding the the new classification of the feasts, certain feasts days in addition to lacking Saint Joseph in the canon. I know because I use a 1961 Saint Joesph missal and on the cover page (just like the one displayed in your picture) it's states in bright red text that the new changes are reflected in the missal (it's still missing Saint Joseph from the canon though since that change was promulgated after the 1960 changes). 

What is your People of the Week? I don't see a thread with that name?
President Kennedy was no friend of Catholicism period , he helped with his family to start the public downfall of the faith.
LBJ  was swore in as President before Vatican II made any changes. We still had the TLM, though he was a Texan.

tim
This is ironic.  I actually have, at least according to the picture you've provided this exact same missal.  Found it in the bowels of the basement.  Took it to mass and the english translations were completely different than what I was used to, especially the prayers at the foot of the altar. 

I will go into the altar of God
To God, my goodness and Joy (or something like that) and so on.  I don't know what's up with it.  Maybe I'm the modernist and taht's how it's supposed to be but in over ten years of tlm I've never seen a translation like that, not diocesan or sspx.  who knows,.
(08-31-2011, 09:42 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]President Kennedy was no friend of Catholicism period , he helped with his family to start the public downfall of the faith.

So what do you make of this then? That JFK was carrying a Missal around just for show? Kind of like Bill Clinton's Bible with the extra large Cross so TV cameras and newspaper photographers can pick it up?
I think that RE Kennedy, Salus and I are in complete agreement.

I find it interesting that it's a strictly SUNDAY (+ other holy days of obligation) Missal, and that Kennedy had a special leather cover on the book - simple cross on the front, chalice on the back.  Seeing him carry this book around, with only a faint cross on the front cover and no title showing on the spine, it would be easy to mistake for a Bible.

And Someone, there is no thread... yet.  ;D
Oh please.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5