FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would you sneak into the NO Mass as a pastor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Friends :hello!: ,

Imagine you've just been made a rector of some NO parish, utterly disgusting in terms of architecture, aesthetics, vestments, and liturgy. Just pretend the FSSP, ICKSP, and SSPX don't exist, and that you're a poor conservative priest who finally finished NO-only seminary after many years of hiding your rosary and Latin devotions. What would you start to do over the course of months and years, assuming you don't know the TLM at all?

I'd get a cassock and surplice for every last server, and abolish female servers as best I could.
I would wear the biretta, cross the stole in an X-shape, tie a maniple to my arm, and use my own money to get any deacon(s) dalmatics.
I would make absolutely sure that the silly candles always on the flanks of the altar would start appearing ON the altar, at the eastern edge.
Every Mass would be ad orientem according to the rubrics in the 2011 Ordinary.
The celebrant's chair would immediately go from the apse to the sidelines, where it ought to be (I'm so sick of feeling like I'm worshiping the priest who's sitting behind the altar).
I'd fire the unkempt young guitarist with the long hair (whose shirt is never tucked in), and slit the bongo drums open with an Exact-o.
Since the organ would be in disrepair and the piano out of tune (and inappropriate), every Mass would be merely said until a choir existed and an electronic organ could be brought in.
The free-standing see-under table altar would be completely covered with a floor-length antependium frontal, and the altar cloth would extend as far down as possible, so it would at least give the appearance of a solid block for the Sacrifice, not a table for the Picnic.
The statutes of the Sacred Heart and our Lady would be taken out of the basement, dusted off, or bought anew and placed right outside the sanctuary.
The vigil candles would be either re-introduced or replaced with real ones (if electric).
I'd purchase the sanctus bells which had been stepped on and run over for 40 years by altar girls.
The altar rail would be either fished out of the harbour, torn off the local pub's walls, or purchased/fashioned anew by men of the parish to get them doing something goal-oriented for the parish.
We would say/sing the Ordinary entirely in Latin using chants from the PROPER Kyriale, except maybe the Credo because I believe the people ought to fully profess their beliefs in vernacular - though since almost no one knows the Creed by heart, I'd probably just end up doing it in Latin.
I'd replace the glass chalices with ones made of precious metals... the plastic ciboria with proper ones... start using palls, corporals, purificators, and burses that were not embroidered with rainbow colours...
Stand the Missale Romanum on a proper angle, rather than letting it sit on the altar like a library book.
I would proclaim the First and Second Readings from the ambo even if lay people asked to read, and I would sing the Alleluia.
The Lord be with you/and with your spirit - Lift up your hearts - and all the other minor responsories, would be in Latin.

Wow, I just realised I'd basically change everything... what an interesting exercise in recognising how effing crappy the changes have been!  :laughing:

What else would you change? I may have forgotten a few things...
a 45 minute sermon on Hell
What would also be fun would be if a NO priest were to sneak in the introductory rites into the new mass, and if anyone objects you could just say that mass hasn't really begun yet, that it isn't a part of the liturgy.
lol I'd read from the Summa where it says only consecrated hands should touch the eucharist, then preach on Hell for an hour and every mortal sin I can think of.
(09-01-2011, 03:26 PM)Sigfrid Wrote: [ -> ]What would also be fun would be if a NO priest were to sneak in the introductory rites into the new mass, and if anyone objects you could just say that mass hasn't really begun yet, that it isn't a part of the liturgy.

That's completely legitimate (at least it sounds so to me!).  So would be the Last Gospel.  Also for NO masses without music, do the Leonine prayers (it's not at Mass, it's after).
Good choices, and I would add:

Quote:I'd get a cassock and surplice for every last server, and abolish female servers as best I could.

Yes, and get them for all the choristers too. Though I personally prefer seeing acolytes in cassock, alb and cincture (tasteful, traditional forms). Note that cassock-and-surplice is called "choir dress". The surplice was meant to be easily thrown over a cleric's street clothes so he could attend services in choir with ease. Choir dress may be appropriate for acolytes at low Mass, but I always thought it peculiar that it became standard dress for acolytes even in solemn Mass. In military terms, the surplice is like wearing class B's, whereas the alb and cincture are class A's.

Quote:The celebrant's chair would immediately go from the apse to the sidelines, where it ought to be (I'm so sick of feeling like I'm worshiping the priest who's sitting behind the altar).

While I don't think a mere priest's chair has ever been in the apse, this was a traditional location for the bishop's throne in the early centuries of the Church. The Pope's cathedra in Saint John Lateran is in the apse, and the relic of the Chair of Peter is as well in Saint Peter's Basilica. And you can find the throne of Saint Augustine of Canterbury in the apse of Canterbury Cathedral. So there isn't anything inherently wrong with sitting behind the altar, but that honor may be more proper to a bishop than a mere priest.

The Lateran cathedra:

[Image: lateran+cathedra.jpg]

Quote:I'd fire the unkempt young guitarist with the long hair (whose shirt is never tucked in), and slit the bongo drums open with an Exact-o.

Yeah, sure. But it's just as possible to have a well-kempt Gregorian chorister with a ponytail. I'm in this schola video clip here:

Quote:Since the organ would be in disrepair and the piano out of tune (and inappropriate), every Mass would be merely said until a choir existed and an electronic organ could be brought in.

Personally, I would go with either a true pipe organ, or nothing at all. It takes training, but our schola which I posted above does a cappella the vast majority of the time. We don't have an organist on the team. And as I'm sure our Eastern friends would agree, there's something to be said for this approach in tradition.

If I were a pastor just starting out, I would immediately look for a competent cantor. You can have a sung Mass with only one singer, and this is still preferable to a recited Mass. It might take him a while to teach his skills to others, but you don't need a full choir to start with.

Quote:The free-standing see-under table altar would be completely covered with a floor-length antependium frontal, and the altar cloth would extend as far down as possible, so it would at least give the appearance of a solid block for the Sacrifice, not a table for the Picnic.

Glad someone besides me cares about antependia. Even many trad churches don't have proper altar frontals.

Quote:I would proclaim the First and Second Readings from the ambo even if lay people asked to read, and I would sing the Alleluia.

I'm probably one of the few trads who thinks the current practice of having the priest-celebrant read all the Scriptures is a bad trend. They must be read by men of dignity, but it is not actually the priest's office to do these things. They are for servers: in the context of the traditional Mass, the subdeacon for the Epistle, the deacon for the Gospel, and the lector for any extra readings that come up such as on Ember days.

Since we live in an age where solemn Mass is hardly the norm (even though it is, on paper), the priest tends to just do these things himself. But the 1962 Missal has provision for assigning a lector to read the Epistle, which I believe is an ideal task for either a well-trained acolyte or one of the choristers. Or an extra priest or deacon onboard, though if you have two extras there's no excuse for not having solemn Mass.

In the context of the Novus Ordo, I would likewise expect a lector to read the Lesson and Epistle (since the subdeacon no longer exists in the NO context). But make sure they're male, well-trained, and wearing either a surplice or an alb. There is really nothing wrong with lay lectors in theory (no more than having lay acolytes, as even 99% of all trad chapels do), but in practice there is much to be desired.

"What would you sneak into the NO Mass as a pastor?"

Having sex with women on the side instead
(09-01-2011, 03:33 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]"What would you sneak into the NO Mass as a pastor?"

Having sex with women on the side instead

LOL.
Dominus est, I love you! That's a perfect idea, and no one can object that your suggestion isn't "part of the Mass", because technically it is in the 1970. The rubrics, though, do not include the Sign before or after the homily, so doing what is done in the EF would probably not be legitimate. Could a priest make the Sign before and after his homily even though the rubrics don't call for it? They aren't too specific either:

After the Gospel, 17. "Then follows the Homily, which is to be preached by a Priest or Deacon on all Sundays and Holydays of Obligation; on other days, it is recommended." There's nothing saying we can't go all "Father/Son/Holy Spirit: Amen."! You could even finish each homily with a good blessing like in the EF, rather than just trailing off into the Credo like the OF generally does. Imagine that 45 minute sermon on Hell ending with "May God bless you and keep you all from the eternal flames, in the Name of..."

Sigfrid, I was thinking about that too. It's always been on my mind... even rehearsing a quiet Introibo and Psalm 42 by myself before an imaginary altar makes me wish to be a priest more and more, rather than just stumping up to the table and starting the Mass with the Sign.

newyorkcatholic, hey, that'd be great. I totally forgot about Leo XIII's prayers. We might mention specific parishioners' intentions or pray the St. Michael prayer for those for whom the Mass has been offered. Since the NO Mass rubric No. 146 says "If any liturgical action follows immediately, the rites of dismissal are omitted", a priest could extend the Sign until after these prayers kneeling before the altar. Maybe even bring a prie-Dieu to the base of the sanctuary so the priest may descend, ask all to kneel, say the prayers, and then go back up to the altar so he may bless everyone as a server moves the prie-Dieu away.

I'd do anything to sanctify the NO Mass and make it more beautiful, because I have high hopes for it when done properly. We could make saints with it...

H.K., you make quality posts.  ;D I hadn't even thought of putting the choir in proper vestments (which the Anglicans are good at). I've never seen a cassock and an alb on servers - wouldn't the alb cover the cassock, or make it ungainly? Perhaps I don't know the difference and we're thinking of different things entirely... isn't it called a surplice, the thing worn by altar servers/acolytes in every EF video and photo I've ever seen? The long hair of the chorister wasn't my problem, so much, just that they always look unkempt, heh. Dress codes have become null in NO Masses, usually. Also: wow, finding a male cantor around here would be dreadfully difficult - they're all old women with intense vibrato. I do concur entirely with the Eastern mode of using voices alone; it reminds me of the angels, who surely need no instruments, and also compares our glorified human state (by the Resurrection) to the angelic brethren.

Antependia are my favourite parts of an altar, hehehe...

OH, that's a really good point: vesting lectors. I acted as a lector in the NO cathedral in several weekday Masses, but when I asked whether vestments were required, I was given a "no"...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5