FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditional Acts of Piety Among the Laity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What traditional acts of piety outside of Mass would you like to see come back?  I will start:

1. People Crossing themselves when they pass a Catholic Church or cemetery.

2. People bowing their heads whenever the name of Jesus is spoken.

Thought?
They still happen!
(09-02-2011, 08:46 AM)justawoman Wrote: [ -> ]They still happen!

That's awesome that you still see those in your community. Unfortunately I don't ever see this this stuff. I wish I did.
(09-02-2011, 08:12 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]What traditional acts of piety outside of Mass would you like to see come back?  I will start:

1. People Crossing themselves when they pass a Catholic Church or cemetery.

2. People bowing their heads whenever the name of Jesus is spoken.

Thought?

I was once on a tram going past the diocesan cathedral in my city when I noticed an old man crossing himself. I didn't understand why he did it, although I figured that the sign of the cross and passing the cathedral were connected. A few months later when I found Fish Eaters, I read about that 'act of piety' and remembered the old man. I think it's pretty awesome that one can still see things like that nowadays.
(09-02-2011, 08:57 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2011, 08:46 AM)justawoman Wrote: [ -> ]They still happen!

That's awesome that you still see those in your community. Unfortunately I don't ever see this this stuff. I wish I did.

Yes it happens regularly in a few towns at least as I have moved a few times in the last few years. People tend to cross themselves when an ambulance passes too and I always say a quick prayer with my little boy whenever any emergency vehicle goes by with blues on - just 'Dear Jesus, please keep people safe' (he is only 4!)

LOL! I'm the only person I ever saw do this (though technically I didn't see it  ;)). The only reason I knew to do it was because Fr. Ripperger said we ought to have respect for the monuments of the Church. I figured that the blessed Sacrament is the greatest Monument, and since a Catholic Church is likely to contain an inhabited Tabernacle, there's no reason to ignore Him. Whenever I pass a cemetery, I make sure to Cross and say "Thank you Lord for the gift of death, that by it we may attain eternal life, if we are diligent in faith, hope, and charity - May the souls of all the faithul departed...", and I've never seen anyone stare at me (not that I'd notice). In fact, I once crossed before a modernist Church which I knew had a Tabernacle, and the old man next to me on the bus actually followed suit, which illustrates Voris' point that the young must make up for what the old were taught to avoid loooong ago.

Regardless, I doubt any of the youth who go to the 5 PM Guitar Mass would even know to cross themselves around a church.
I've never just "seen" this stuff happen.  I have done it, I've been with people who have done it (family who I knew would do it) but never just out and about.

But these are good.  Crossing yourself at a cemetary and saying Eternal Rest....

I always (or at least usually- it's the goal, anhyow) pray the St Michael prayer for ambulances. 

I cross myself when walking past a Church, but not usually when I'm on the train and I pass one.  But recently I was passing a Church on the train and a man near me crossed himself, so I crossed myself too, then I told him I saw him do it and it reminded me I should do the same.
Also whenever you see a funeral procession.
I forgot what country but someone said at noon , the entire country stopped to say the Angelus in the mall.
Pages: 1 2 3