FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Now I know what the Latin Mass is all about ( I hope)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
  Yesterday at Mass as I looked at the high altar with the Mass cards, a sudden thought hit me.  The Mass is supposed to be a sacrifice, right?  It's about Calvary, not the Last Supper, am I right?  If so, then the priest should face the altar and not the people.  The OF has the priest and servers around the table as if they're sharing a "meal".  I used to think that's what the Mass was all about.  But now, I know better.  And I know now why I love the Latin Mass so much.  And not just because the OF has too much lay participation ( which it does).  I know have new respect for the reasons the SSPX did what they did.    And I apologize to all you SSPX folks I might have offended.  If I'm still not right about what Mass is about, please let me know.  Thanks for hearing me out.  And pray that if I move to a new apartment complex, that I can still get a ride to Mass, and that there will be more Latin Masses at other churches here in Fort Worth.  Pray
   Idea : Incense Monstrance
THIS!

Whoopee!  Smile
God Bless.  Your thinking of the New Mass is spot on - and the reason you once believed the previous way is very simple.  Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi =  The way we pray is the way we believe.  The Mass is the highest prayer, and the New Mass teaches a new religion that calls itself "Catholicism" but most certainly is not.  The New Mass uses a table, like the Protestant heretic Cranmer demanded, to emphasize a meal instead of a quiet sacrifice being made to God.  The New Mass doesn't teach that a sacrifice is being made - only a memorial supper.  A sacrifice is made on an altar, not a table.  A sacrifice is made facing God, not facing man.  Praise God that you now know the truth of it.  I once had the same revelation that you just had.

Concluding, the New Mass is the reason why the Church is in shambles.  The "spirit of Vatican II" allowed for the New Mass to usurp the Latin Mass.  The New Mass is passed off as the "Ordinary Form" and it has taught people a different religion.  This is why we should avoid it and help make others aware of this truth.
I had a priest this weekend, firmly entrenched in the Novus Ordo lala land, tell me that he would strongly oppose a Mass while a "Catholic" campus ministry goes on retreat (ie, have Mass during the retreat for the retreatants), because one of the important and great things about weekend Mass is the community.

What the eff.
(09-05-2011, 12:44 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]one of the important and great things about weekend Mass is the community.

What the eff.

Yeah, many NO churches have turned into gathering hall's. It's more of a place for all the people (mostly older) to meet on Sunday mornings and then go out to breakfast or something after. It's a shame.

There is little to no feeling of a sacrifice at the NO. Even during funerals (the last NO I went to was a funeral) there is this happy hold hands and sing together atmosphere.

Very few people seem to understand that it's not a community meal, it's not a community gathering, it's not a meet up before breakfast thing. Christ is truly there and reverence needs to be restored.

People obviously have no idea of whats supposed to be. When 25 people in the parish go to confession once a month, yet a couple of thousand go to mass during that time, you know something is really wrong.
Deo Gratias!

Now you can tell your friends not to get offended that the priest has turned his back on them.
The Ottaviani Intervention, on the definition of the New Mass
Quote:Let us begin with the definition of the Mass given in No. 7 of the "Institutio Generalis" at the beginning of the second chapter on the Novus Ordo: "De
structura Missae":

"The Lord's Supper or Mass is a sacred meeting or assembly of the People of God, met together under the presidency of the priest, to celebrate the memorial of
the Lord. Thus the promise of Christ, "where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them", is eminently true of the local
community in the Church (Mt. XVIII, 20)".

The definition of the Mass is thus limited to that of the "supper", and this term is found constantly repeated (nos. 8, 48, 55d, 56). This supper is further
characterised as an assembly presided over by the priest and held as a memorial of the Lord, recalling what He did on the first Maundy Thursday. None of this
in the very least implies either the Real Presence, or the reality of sacrifice, or the Sacramental function of the consecrating priest, or the intrinsic
value of the Eucharistic Sacrifice independently of the people's presence. It does not, in a word, imply any of the essential dogmatic values of the Mass
which together provide its true definition. Here, the deliberate omission of these dogmatic values amounts to their having been superseded and therefore, at
least in practice, to their denial.

Fr. Gommar de Pauw shows how the Anglican schismatics of the 16th century are the origins of the Novus Ordo
Quote:when an investigating committee reported to Edward VI that 90% of the English people were still clinging to the Catholic Faith of their Fathers, and they were
still hoping that the old Catholic religion would be restored – it is then that King Edward VI decided to abolish the Mass. And then we have the famous
decision of the King’s “Reformation Commission” of 1547. And that is the decree, ladies and gentlemen, where the tables that are now disgracing our
sanctuaries originated. Oh, yes, now your new Greek clergymen, they tell you that that was all authored by the “Constitution on the Liturgy” in the Second
Vatican Council. Now, believe it or not, if I may just say that, as I was an advisor, an attendant at the Second Vatican Council sessions, maybe I know a
little more about it than your new Greek clergy in the parishes that are now trying to contradict me. And while I’m not exactly a Rockefeller at this moment,
I’ll give them any nickel I still have left if they can show me WHERE in the Constitution on the Liturgy it says that our altars must be replaced with tables.
It doesn’t say so in the Constitution on the Liturgy, the Constitution that passed in 1962. But it says it in 1547 all right – yes!

All altars in every church or chapel must be taken down, and instead of them a table must be set up to move the people from the superstitions of the popish
Mass and to the right use of the Lord’s Supper. The use of an altar is to sacrifice upon; and the use of a table is to eat upon. Altars were erected for the
sacrifice, which, being now ceased, the form of an altar must cease together with it.
” And that still didn’t go over too well with the good believing people
in Great Britain, and 5 years later, in 1552, it was necessary to enforce – and literally do so – the second act of the uniformity, “so that the sinful people
may form from the old superstition of the Sacrifice of the Mass to the right use of the Lord’s Supper, all altars shall be replaced with tables. The presiding
minister must stand, not as in the old Mass with his back to the congregation, but facing the congregation so that the people can see. The use of all English
text must also be imposed for the same reason – to emphasize the change in the view taken of the Sacrifice.
” And all Catholic bishops but one, went down the
drain and sold out their responsibility and their beliefs – except one. And that’s the only one whose name we still remember – Saint John Fisher.
My friend who started serving the altar for his pastoral year, last year, arrived in June and put a floor-length altar cloth down with an antependium/frontal which reached the floor. Within a week it disappeared...  LOL I never heard or saw a reason for its inclusion and disappearance, but I immediately intuited that it made the "communal table" look too much like a solid altar. Perhaps I'm wrong, but given the atmosphere of this cathedral parish... that's the reason, more likely than not.

Whenever I see even the humblest ad-orientem altar set up properly, I feel great peace knowing that God is present or will be present in sacrifice. Only in the TLM do we see the combination of Incarnation, Preaching, Teaching, Supper, Agony, Crucifixion, and Resurrection. I've always known from the start that the Introit/Sign is the Incarnation of the blessed Trinity among us through the Son, Readings/Lessons are of His truth, the Gospel of His glorious teaching, the Offertory His march into Jerusalem/up to Calvary, the Canon the Last Supper, the Elevation His Crucifixion, and even in Communion we are in His eternal Resurrection. As He ascends, so we pray the Last Gospel, ever reminding ourselves of what God did and is doing, and praying as a united Church.

The NO Masses I've been to always feel like a community sit-in, listening to how good we are, and then some munching and sipping. There's no spiritual component to most of them... it's community!
(09-05-2011, 01:18 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Deo Gratias!

Now you can tell your friends not to get offended that the priest has turned his back on them.
LOL
(09-05-2011, 01:18 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Deo Gratias!

When someone complains about the priest turning their back on the crowd...I say...would you rather have the priest turn his back on God?

Pages: 1 2