FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. McBrien: Adoration Is a "Step Backwards"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

So Fr. McBrien is not that way off.

But you don't like that we don't have eucharistic adoration.
(09-06-2011, 09:02 PM)StevusMagnus Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

I doubt easterners would say that adoration is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward.

We wouldn't say it's a spiritual step backwards so much as a spiritual step off course.  But it's not a huge swing off course, it's just not viewing the Eucharist in it's most proper purpose, from our perspective. 
[quote='StevusMagnus' pid='867645' dateline='1315354991']
http://ncronline.org/blogs/essays-theolo...-adoration

[quote]The practice of eucharistic adoration began in the 12th century, when the Real Presence of Christ was widely rejected by heretics or misunderstood by poorly educated Catholics. The church saw eucharistic adoration as a way of reaffirming its faith in the Real Presence and of promoting renewed devotion to it.[/quote]

In the 21st century, the Real Presence of Christ is widely rejected by heretics or misunderstood by poorly educated Catholics.

Hasn't he noticed this?  Heretics are always going to reject it unless they reject their heresy for the Catholic Faith.  And poll after poll shows that American Catholics don't believe in the Real Presence, though it may be more accurate to say that they don't understand what it is that they're supposed to believe because it's never been properly explained to them.  We need Adoration today as much as it was needed in the 12th century or any succeeding century.

[quote]Notwithstanding Pope Benedict XVI's personal endorsement of eucharistic adoration and the sporadic restoration of the practice in the archdiocese of Boston and elsewhere, it is difficult to speak favorably about the devotion today.[/quote]  

Hmm, I'm far away from Boston, in a largely Baptist part of the country, but Adoration has become more and more common here.  Many of us could explain to Fr. McBrien how to speak favorably about  Adoration, tell him how it's helped us.

[quote]Now that most Catholics are literate and even well-educated, the Mass is in the language of the people (i.e, the vernacular), and its rituals are relatively easy to understand and follow, there is little or no need for extraneous eucharistic devotions. The Mass itself provides all that a Catholic needs sacramentally and spiritually.[/quote]

If the Mass provides all we need, why don't all Catholics go to Mass regularly?

[quote]Eucharistic adoration, perpetual or not, is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward, not forward.[/quote]

Backward to a time of greater faith.

(09-06-2011, 10:08 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

But you don't like that we don't have eucharistic adoration.

True, although I'm more for a standardization of customs as you know.
(09-06-2011, 10:13 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2011, 09:02 PM)StevusMagnus Wrote: [ -> ]

I doubt easterners would say that adoration is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward.

We wouldn't say it's a spiritual step backwards so much as a spiritual step off course.  But it's not a huge swing off course, it's just not viewing the Eucharist in it's most proper purpose, from our perspective. 

Your perspective is wrong
(09-06-2011, 09:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]But given that it's just an extra-liturgical custom that developed quite late in the Western church, questioning it does not make Fr. McBrien per se a heretic. Unfortunately, Eucharistic Adoration is not even a universal custom in the Church.

"If anyone saith that, in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist, Christ [. . .] is neither to be worshipped with a special festive solemnity, nor to be solemnly borne about in processions [. . .] or is not to be put forth publicly to the people to be adored [. . .] let him be anathema." (Council of Trent)
(09-07-2011, 12:55 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2011, 09:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]But given that it's just an extra-liturgical custom that developed quite late in the Western church, questioning it does not make Fr. McBrien per se a heretic. Unfortunately, Eucharistic Adoration is not even a universal custom in the Church.

"If anyone saith that, in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist, Christ [. . .] is neither to be worshipped with a special festive solemnity, nor to be solemnly borne about in processions [. . .] or is not to be put forth publicly to the people to be adored [. . .] let him be anathema." (Council of Trent)

I don't think that the East not practicing adoration is heresy.

It's not part of their tradition at all. If they want to adapt the practice they can, but they don't have to.

We don't really have all that many "Byzantinizations" that I can think of (besides those who claim the NO practice of receiving under both species is one and stuff like that).
(09-07-2011, 01:05 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2011, 12:55 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]"If anyone saith that, in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist, Christ [. . .] is neither to be worshipped with a special festive solemnity, nor to be solemnly borne about in processions [. . .] or is not to be put forth publicly to the people to be adored [. . .] let him be anathema." (Council of Trent)

It's not part of their tradition at all. If they want to adapt the practice they can, but they don't have to.

It is not heretical not to practice Eucharistic adoration. But saying  that Eucharistic adoration is not to be practiced would cause one to fall under Tridentine anathema.
(09-07-2011, 01:05 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2011, 12:55 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Vetus Ordo' pid='867739' dateline='1315360660']
But given that it's just an extra-liturgical custom that developed quite late in the Western church, questioning it does not make Fr. McBrien per se a heretic. Unfortunately, Eucharistic Adoration is not even a universal custom in the Church.

We don't really have all that many "Byzantinizations" that I can think of (besides those who claim the NO practice of receiving under both species is one and stuff like that).

[/quote

] Well there ya go. Thats it. Eucharistic Adoration has been a comfort for me many times,  and will always be.
When is Trent II going to be convened? That is what I want to know?

I live next to a forest and have been seasoning wood for a while now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6