FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. McBrien: Adoration Is a "Step Backwards"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-07-2011, 12:07 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]This fallen priest hasn't been Catholic for decades!

That is the criteria for being considered for publication on that site.  :laughing:
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

So Fr. McBrien is not that way off.

Vetus,
Interesting you say this because I recently attended a Antiochian Catholic Church of the West Syrian Maronite rite (St. Sharbel Las Vegas, NV).  And they have a Eucharistic Adoration chapel.  This church has the mass in both Arabic and Aramaic.  If the Eastern Rite churches never had Eucharistic Adoration I wonder how this one picked it up?  Maybe I'll ask on my next visit there.
(09-06-2011, 08:43 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what his issue is it.  He doesn't explain it well at all.  I do know that I have found great comfort spending time with Our Lord in Eucharistic adoration chapels.
Ditto, Miss fluffy.  In fact, I went to Adoration today.  I had a hard few weeks, and it helps to be with Our Lord, even if it's just sitting there.
:monstrance: :monstrance:
Have not read much more than Original Post.

Soul Chilling.

I will never forget this from Richard McBrien ...
Sorry to say but Fr. McBrien typlifies so many of todays academics. They are enclosed in a cocoon of self righteous ignorance as to think themselves
invincible. I see more wisdom in a sparsely educated Grandmother visiting the Blessed Sacrament while clutching her Roary Beads, than all the so
called writings of Fr. McBrien.
(09-07-2011, 06:05 PM)thomas sweeney Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to say but Fr. McBrien typlifies so many of todays academics. They are enclosed in a cocoon of self righteous ignorance as to think themselves
invincible. I see more wisdom in a sparsely educated Grandmother visiting the Blessed Sacrament while clutching her Roary Beads, than all the so
called writings of Fr. McBrien.

Amen.

It's 5-10 minutes later now since my last post  ... and I just feel horrified.

The damage that a man like this can do.
Adoration really helped me when my husband was killed. I felt far closer to God in Adoration, crying til the tears ran out, than I did at Mass even. As I looked to the Blessed Sacrament encased in the Monstrance I knew that I was united with my God, and with my husband whi is now with Him for eternity.
(09-07-2011, 06:34 PM)justawoman Wrote: [ -> ]Adoration really helped me when my husband was killed. I felt far closer to God in Adoration, crying til the tears ran out, than I did at Mass even. As I looked to the Blessed Sacrament encased in the Monstrance I knew that I was united with my God, and with my husband whi is now with Him for eternity.

Although I am so sorry to hear of what you speak ... and have never known such loss ...

I do know what you mean.

Gazing in silent adoration is an incredible, incredible devotion.

I have also been sustained in times of suffering, though not I fear like yours. I will pray for you.

And on this subject, I will just say this is why all this chills my soul ... McBrien's words ...

I know from experience what Adoration is ...

I lived in Ireland where so many churches still had chapels set aside for adoration throughout the day. So moving ...

The thought of people following McBrien, getting rid of those chapels say ... and depriving people of the solace of Our Lord.

Just horrifying. God bless you.
(09-07-2011, 06:34 PM)justawoman Wrote: [ -> ]Adoration really helped me when my husband was killed. I felt far closer to God in Adoration, crying til the tears ran out, than I did at Mass even. As I looked to the Blessed Sacrament encased in the Monstrance I knew that I was united with my God, and with my husband whi is now with Him for eternity.

When I was sad and went it always helped. I used to go often, or if no adoration, just go to the church for an hour. That was LA/OC Calif. Then I moved to the desert in 08, and its rare for a church to even have the doors unlocked during the day, adoration maybe once a month. Dont take it for granted, use it often. We are planning to sell and move, and get back to being near a church where its available.

(09-07-2011, 07:15 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: [ -> ]

When I was sad and went it always helped. I used to go often, or if no adoration, just go to the church for an hour. That was LA/OC Calif. Then I moved to the desert in 08, and its rare for a church to even have the doors unlocked during the day, adoration maybe once a month. Dont take it for granted, use it often. We are planning to sell and move, and get back to being near a church where its available.

What a shame. The church here is always open and I go in every day - usually for Mass but even if I can't I still pop in. If I have my son with me I only stay a few minutes but alone I will often stay an hour or more. Once my son starts school Monday I will need to look for work, though, as the payout won't last forever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6