FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. McBrien: Adoration Is a "Step Backwards"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-07-2011, 09:09 AM)StevusMagnus Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Since the Latin rite is the rite of the holy Roman church and this church is mother and teacher of the other churches, the Latin rite should be preferred to all other rites.

A papal opinion, nothing more than that :)
(09-07-2011, 09:35 AM)StevusMagnus Wrote: [ -> ]"No one eats of this flesh without having first adored it . . . and not
only do we not sin in thus adoring it, but we would be sinning if we
did not do so".

St. Augustine

He wasn't speaking of Eucharistic adoration as we know it today.
(09-07-2011, 03:10 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]I could see Benediction being done in the East since they could have their hymns, incense, etc. But, adoration I can't see happening.

This is accurate.  I could see a more Latin style benediction actually being considered as an add on to the Byzantine liturgy.  "Holy hours" never will.  But, I had never thought about this before, but your comment made me think of it.  We actually do have benediction in our liturgy, just in the Roman rite it is much more ornate and given more attention.  If you pay attention, in our liturgy, immediately after communion, the priests enter back in through the royal doors, some prayers are said and a cloth is placed over the diskos and chalice.  The priest then turns with them, comes to the royal doors and holds the diskos and chalice up to the congregation.  They are then taken to the table of preparation, and this next part isn't really seen unless you are an acolyte, the remaining Eucharist is incensed, more prayers are said, and the priest initiates a "bow wave" that moves through the whole congregation, and then the remaining Eucharist is consumed by the deacons.

Also, as you genuflect before receiving the Eucharist, we make 3 metanias, two prior to reception and once after.  So to say we neither have adoration nor benediction is false.  It just doesn't look anything like the Latin form.
(09-07-2011, 04:58 PM)Dominus est Wrote: [ -> ]Do Easterners adore the Eucharist before they consume it ?

Yes.
(09-07-2011, 05:23 PM)radartek Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

So Fr. McBrien is not that way off.

Vetus,
Interesting you say this because I recently attended a Antiochian Catholic Church of the West Syrian Maronite rite (St. Sharbel Las Vegas, NV).  And they have a Eucharistic Adoration chapel.  This church has the mass in both Arabic and Aramaic.  If the Eastern Rite churches never had Eucharistic Adoration I wonder how this one picked it up?  Maybe I'll ask on my next visit there.

Because they're Maronites, the most latinized of all Eastern Catholics, save maybe the Syro-Malabar or Malankara Catholics.
I'm glad that I burned some of his works in a recent book burning at my residence.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6