FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is this for real?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found this article on a Catholic site.  Is it really part  of Catholic culture that a woman shouldn't appear in public toward the end of her pregnancy? 

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultura...ernity.htm

"Maternity clothing as a specialized fashion item only appeared at the beginning of the 20th century. In general, it was designed to cover – in as dignified way as possible – the growth of the baby in the woman’s womb. Objectively speaking, during pregnancy the body becomes misshapen. Therefore, it is appropriate, according to Catholic morals, to be discreet in showing that temporary distortion, while not being ashamed of it.

This change in the body results from a woman’s high mission to be a mother. Nonetheless, that change in the body is normally unpleasing to the sensibilities of the woman and, I would add, of the man as well. I believe that this sublime body irregularity is an invitation for the mother to be less active socially and stay at home more doing all she can to best influence the small being she is shaping in her womb."

also:
"Having a baby has become a public affair, and we are all obliged to assume the unpleasant burden of watching every inch growth of the burgeoning abdomen of the modern pregnant woman."

No.

Pay no attention to that crazy website.
To be fair, 8-9mos pregnant women wandering around in skin tight tops squick me out a bit... But I suspect that's not what the author of that site meant.

"Nonetheless, that change in the body is normally unpleasing to the sensibilities of the woman and, I would add, of the man as well."

I don't think that is true of most women or most men. 

I don't think that anybody who likes babies thinks that "during pregnancy the body becomes misshapen."  That sounds like an argument for contraception or abortion.

Marian would apparently like pregnant women not to leave their homes in the third trimester -- or wear a burka.

I find big pregnant bellies very attractive. I love how someone who doesn't know me can tell me what opinion I currently hold.
Stop reading TIA.
(09-08-2011, 10:50 AM)GeorgeT Wrote: [ -> ]I find big pregnant bellies very attractive. I love how someone who doesn't know me can tell me what opinion I currently hold.

Italians once (maybe they still do) found pregnant women to be cause for celebration and coddling.  I remember hearing from a friend's mother that a pregnant woman was treated as if she was made of glass, but in a very respectful, I-love-mama kind of way.  I can't prove it, but the idea that a pregnant woman has to hide her pregnancy smacks of protestant squeamishness, bordering on puritanism, to me.  Catherine of Aragon was once described by the Spanish ambassador, in a letter to her father as being full-bellied, like a sailing ship.  She certainly didn't hide her pregnancy, but who could doubt her obedience to the Church?  Since this was her vocation in life (providing heirs to the throne), and since it is the vocation of most women to marry and have children, why is TIA all bunched-pantied over this?  Oh, wait, it's TIA.  The real news would be if they weren't getting their knickers in a knot over something.
(09-08-2011, 11:45 AM)HolySouls Wrote: [ -> ]I can't prove it, but the idea that a pregnant woman has to hide her pregnancy smacks of protestant squeamishness, bordering on puritanism, to me.
I can't prove it either, but I think you nailed it down pretty well.
It's a perplexing statement. But if Marian is simply calling for good taste in maternity wear and knocking the way some of these Hollywood stars go about parading like slobs, I can see her point.

I am also troubled by the "obligatory" pregnancy glamour shots of celebrities on magazine covers. Especially when one considers what the majority view of these types are concerning abortion.

Even if they are Pro-Life, these magazine covers and celebrity type tabloid shows have a tendency to cheapen the beauty of it.
(09-07-2011, 10:21 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Pay no attention to that crazy website.

agreed
Pages: 1 2