FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would your religious suffix be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
When I was in the monastery I was Brother Peter of the Most Holy Trinity.

Pius the knife.

Br Elias of Mount Carmel
If I were to have become a religious I would gone with something like

Br. Edward Mary of Our Lady, Star of the Sea O.C.D.

or

Br. Edward Mary of Our Lady of Sorrows O.C.D.

~~~~~~~~~
I would suggest going with of the Incarnation
(09-09-2011, 12:17 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Pius the knife.

He related to Mack?
What a retarded bunch of replies. This is Friday, for goodness' sake. Why can't you be serious about such a lovely and pious tradition? Religious suffixes you choose define your whole spirituality: what you ask God for the grace to understand more fully, in view of His holiness. If you can't be serious about this most glorious idealism, this innocent hopefulness, then it's hard to see how you could be serious about the Eucharist or anything else!

We ought to carefully consider the serious appearance of our approach to God, the curtains and shades with which we adorn ourselves to honour the things He has done; clothe yourself in noble and majestic robes of the soul to celebrate His workings for our sake. "Of the Cross" shows an appreciation of and focus on His Passion, and how God has redeemed us. "Of the Ascension" denotes a love for the souls of the just who were not able to hear Christ's words in life, and the mercy of God in bringing up good gentiles with Himself. "Of the Resurrection" could, perhaps, indicate joy over the proof God has given us that we will rise again. "Of the Incarnation" (thanks, Roger!) connotes a focus on the beauty of God's own work in ontologically changing the human species forever; after the Incarnation, there is no such thing as a "mere man"!

I've only met two friars with suffixes... the others didn't seem to care for one. Interestingly, the two with the suffixes are the most intensely religious, humble, and holy men you could have the privilege to meet!

(09-09-2011, 10:26 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]When I was in the monastery I was Brother Peter of the Most Holy Trinity.

I likes me that. Big Grin

Interesting to see a lot of Carmelites...
(09-09-2011, 01:26 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting to see a lot of Carmelites...

I think it's because carmelites never change. 

(09-09-2011, 01:49 PM)Josué Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 01:26 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting to see a lot of Carmelites...

I think it's because carmelites never change. 

True.

All the OCD's I've met have been as solid as stone.  A very good order here in the States, with very few exceptions.  These guys particularly are awesome:  http://www.carmelitemonks.org/

[Image: 200611DSC_0026.jpg]

so young
While my experiences with both Orders of Carmelites has been less than encouraging (I've posted on it before) my name in Religion as a Tertiary is Jovan Marya (English=John Mary) of the Immaculate Conception, T.O.Carm. For those who've read my conversion story, you'll realise I took the name in honour of OL finally convincing me of the Dogma so I could become a Catholic!
(09-09-2011, 03:14 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]While my experiences with both Orders of Carmelites has been less than encouraging (I've posted on it before) my name in Religion as a Tertiary is Jovan Marya (English=John Mary) of the Immaculate Conception, T.O.Carm. For those who've read my conversion story, you'll realise I took the name in honour of OL finally convincing me of the Dogma so I could become a Catholic!

Wow, tertiaries can take religious names? Those wacky Carmelites...  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7