FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would your religious suffix be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carmalghts  have changed. Sadly rhe revoltuion did not spare them

anyway a bit rude to call people retards foe having a sense o humur
sip sip
(09-09-2011, 03:42 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 03:14 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]While my experiences with both Orders of Carmelites has been less than encouraging (I've posted on it before) my name in Religion as a Tertiary is Jovan Marya (English=John Mary) of the Immaculate Conception, T.O.Carm. For those who've read my conversion story, you'll realise I took the name in honour of OL finally convincing me of the Dogma so I could become a Catholic!

Wow, tertiaries can take religious names? Those wacky Carmelites...  Smile

Don't know about others, but we do. Also, I would point out that Carmelite Tertiaries are the only ones allowed to choose to take simple, public Vows upon Profession. All others make Promises.
When my mother and father were dating at El Camino College, my father would sometimes call my mom "Sister Marsha Eucalyptus of E.C.C.". Get it? 'Cause E.C.C. sounds kinda like Asisi? Get it? ...heh heh... um... *slinks away*

(09-09-2011, 01:26 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]What a retarded bunch of replies. This is Friday, for goodness' sake. Why can't you be serious about such a lovely and pious tradition? Religious suffixes you choose define your whole spirituality: what you ask God for the grace to understand more fully, in view of His holiness. If you can't be serious about this most glorious idealism, this innocent hopefulness, then it's hard to see how you could be serious about the Eucharist or anything else!

Grow a sense of humor, Laetare. Being serious all the time will turn you into a sour-faced Jansenist with plugged-up bowels. And it'll make your future homiles really super boring.

I would only join a religious order that required me to take on a dude's name. Something pretty sweet like Sister Dunstan of the Holy Parakeet.

SIGH. Or, since McSeriousface here has to be such a wet blanket, something a little more serious like Sister Anthony of the Holy Face, P.C.Cap.

Happy?

[Image: y_so_serious_cat-12947.jpg]
(09-09-2011, 06:08 PM)Begorra Wrote: [ -> ]Grow a sense of humor, Laetare. Being serious all the time will turn you into a sour-faced Jansenist with plugged-up bowels. And it'll make your future homiles really super boring.

I would only join a religious order that required me to take on a dude's name. Something pretty sweet like Sister Dunstan of the Holy Parakeet.

SIGH. Or, since McSeriousface here has to be such a wet blanket, something a little more serious like Sister Anthony of the Holy Face, P.C.Cap.

When you make a serious subject on a sub-forum about Catholic Culture, you expect serious replies. This isn't /b/, or some random talk forum. A person who's serious on the internet doesn't necessarily have to be a Jansenist in person, you know. I laugh when something's funny, but derailing a perfectly straightforward thread about religious names with answers like "John Doe" is ridiculous. Perhaps it's the people who are not wet blankets who are too damned frivolous? Our culture's a sewage heap because everyone has to have a laugh and no one wants to get serious. May God damn frivolity and such earthly obsessions with getting a good swipe in! We're supposed to love and serve Him in this life and be happy with Him in the next.

I'm very happy to be a sourpuss; it's who I am. It's certainly better than living in modern vanity, jumping from joke to joke...
(09-09-2011, 06:46 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]When you make a serious subject on a sub-forum about Catholic Culture, you expect serious replies. This isn't /b/, or some random talk forum. A person who's serious on the internet doesn't necessarily have to be a Jansenist in person, you know. I laugh when something's funny, but derailing a perfectly straightforward thread with answers like "John Doe" is ridiculous. Perhaps it's the people who are not wet blankets who are too damned frivolous? Our culture's a sewage heap because everyone has to have a laugh and no one wants to get serious.

That may very well be true, my dearie, but that doesn't mean that you have to be so put off by people having a bit of good clean fun. It's bound to make you look like a party-pooper (no pun intended, of course). Calling people's responses "retarded" and whining about posters despoiling your beautiful pious thread seems a bit in poor taste, does it not? I certainly hope you weren't so upset because it was your thread that wasn't being answered in grave earnestness.  Smile

That being said, I think the religious name you are considering is very pretty. I've always had a fondness for dear, doubtful St. Thomas, and the Incarnation has always been one of the more difficult aspects of Catholicism for non-believers and heretics to swallow.
(09-09-2011, 06:56 PM)Begorra Wrote: [ -> ]That may very well be true, my dearie, but that doesn't mean that you have to be so put off by people having a bit of good clean fun. It's bound to make you look like a party-pooper (no pun intended, of course). Calling people's responses "retarded" and whining about posters despoiling your beautiful pious thread seems a bit in poor taste, does it not? I certainly hope you weren't so upset because it was your thread that wasn't being answered in grave earnestness.  Smile

That being said, I think the religious name you are considering is very pretty. I've always had a fondness for dear, doubtful St. Thomas, and the Incarnation has always been one of the more difficult aspects of Catholicism for non-believers and heretics to swallow.

I appreciate your straightforwardness Smile, but I actually am a party-pooper. I firmly believe everyone falls into classes, especially the four dispositions. Melancholia is exactly my temperament, and I've never been a very joyful person; but there is joy in my heart, buried deep. Perhaps we M-types don't show it as easily as those who are phlegmatic (brutally neutral) or sanguine (always cheery). If you're a melancholic, you've certainly balanced it well!

I don't define it as good, clean fun when an expressly serious question is turned into a joke, especially when it's a lame, dismissive joke. Every subject deserves a serious scrupulous examination, and I treat serious threads seriously. "Y so serious?" - well, because some people more easily gravitate to Jansenism/Calvinism/Puritanism, and they must fight it; I'm one of those. It certainly doesn't help to have your serious questions thrown into the ground by jesters, though, especially if they don't even use smilies to indicate sarcasm! Sticking tongue out at you

The hope for this thread was that people would say "of the X", and explain their philosophy behind it. Yes, it's a pious exercise... but when we live in a world so completely non-pious and full of emptiness (hehe), you need this sort of thing. Save your jokes for the political forum...  LOL
It is one thing to come into a fun thread and try to turn it into something serious.  It is fair to call that "being a party pooper".  To start a serious thread in a sub-forum designed for serious threads is reasonable. In this case, the people who refuse to be serious are committing a parallel faux pas to the "party pooper".  Bubble-heads who do not want to be serious about anything should go post in Pig Roast and leave serious threads alone.  People have a right to have serious discussions here.
(09-09-2011, 07:10 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]Melancholia is exactly my temperament, and I've never been a very joyful person; but there is joy in my heart, buried deep. Perhaps we M-types don't show it as easily as those who are phlegmatic (brutally neutral) or sanguine (always cheery). If you're a melancholic, you've certainly balanced it well!

is that my your name is Laetare?

Rolling eyes
To answer the original question, I am a third order Franciscan.  We were supposed to choose a Franciscan patron saint when we joined. I chose St. Anthony of Padua. I later learned that traditionally third orders used a religious name so I thought about what mine would be.  I decided that I would use my patron's with my own, making me Sr. Jane Anthony.  I didn't put a suffix with it though.  If I had to choose one, I would pick "of the Incarnation".  God reveals Himself to us by becoming one of us.  This is so important that we genuflect at the references to it in the Creed, the final Gospel and the Angelus.  "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us."
(09-09-2011, 07:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]It is one thing to come into a fun thread and try to turn it into something serious.  It is fair to call that "being a party pooper".  To start a serious thread in a sub-forum designed for serious threads is reasonable. In this case, the people who refuse to be serious are committing a parallel faux pas to the "party pooper".  Bubble-heads who do not want to be serious about anything should go post in Pig Roast and leave serious threads alone.  People have a right to have serious discussions here.

I don't know.  Those first couple pages were laugh out loud funny.  "Pius the Knife" was great.  It's just too bad more people didn't give real answers too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7