FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would your religious suffix be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(09-09-2011, 07:34 PM)Josué Wrote: [ -> ]is that my your name is Laetare?

Rolling eyes

Yes, it's telling myself to overcome melancholic tendencies at all times. My favourite epistle is Philippians 4:4-7 because it's God specifically telling we melancholics to combat it and rejoice in peace.

(09-09-2011, 07:45 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]To answer the original question, I am a third order Franciscan.  We were supposed to choose a Franciscan patron saint when we joined. I chose St. Anthony of Padua. I later learned that traditionally third orders used a religious name so I thought about what mine would be.  I decided that I would use my patron's with my own, making me Sr. Jane Anthony.  I didn't put a suffix with it though.  If I had to choose one, I would pick "of the Incarnation".  God reveals Himself to us by becoming one of us.  This is so important that we genuflect at the references to it in the Creed, the final Gospel and the Angelus.  "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us."

That's interesting, because my Franciscan friend tells me to always read St. John 1:1-14, as often as possible, and meditate on it. The Incarnation really does seem to be a central "tenet" of the Seraphic Order. It's a shame their other charisms are absolute poison to me. Any other spirituality that is big on the Incarnation?

(09-09-2011, 07:46 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]Those first couple pages were laugh out loud funny.  "Pius the Knife" was great.  It's just too bad more people didn't give real answers too.

They're not LOL-funny when it's your own perfectly-crafted, emotionally-invested thread being ruined.  Wink Jokes would be fine if real answers accompanied them, but being dismissive is just irritating, especially among Catholics; we're brothers and sisters, in a special way. We ought to be sober and walk as in the day, hehe...
(09-09-2011, 07:46 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 07:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]It is one thing to come into a fun thread and try to turn it into something serious.  It is fair to call that "being a party pooper".  To start a serious thread in a sub-forum designed for serious threads is reasonable. In this case, the people who refuse to be serious are committing a parallel faux pas to the "party pooper".  Bubble-heads who do not want to be serious about anything should go post in Pig Roast and leave serious threads alone.  People have a right to have serious discussions here.

I don't know.  Those first couple pages were laugh out loud funny.  "Pius the Knife" was great.  It's just too bad more people didn't give real answers too.

None of them made me laugh.  At any rate, there isn't something wrong with the OP for resenting having his thread derailed.  That is a perfectly normal reaction.  People are sympathetic when light thread gets derailed by seriousness, but when a serious thread gets derailed by jokes, people act like everyone should accept it.
(09-09-2011, 07:52 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 07:45 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]If I had to choose one, I would pick "of the Incarnation".  God reveals Himself to us by becoming one of us.  This is so important that we genuflect at the references to it in the Creed, the final Gospel and the Angelus.  "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us."

That's interesting, because my Franciscan friend tells me to always read St. John 1:1-14, as often as possible, and meditate on it. The Incarnation really does seem to be a central "tenet" of the Seraphic Order. It's a shame their other charisms are absolute poison to me. Any other spirituality that is big on the Incarnation?

I don't know about other orders.  Would you share what you see as Franciscan charisms that are poison to you?
(09-09-2011, 07:10 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate your straightforwardness Smile, but I actually am a party-pooper. I firmly believe everyone falls into classes, especially the four dispositions. Melancholia is exactly my temperament, and I've never been a very joyful person; but there is joy in my heart, buried deep. Perhaps we M-types don't show it as easily as those who are phlegmatic (brutally neutral) or sanguine (always cheery). If you're a melancholic, you've certainly balanced it well!

I don't define it as good, clean fun when an expressly serious question is turned into a joke, especially when it's a lame, dismissive joke. Every subject deserves a serious scrupulous examination, and I treat serious threads seriously. "Y so serious?" - well, because some people more easily gravitate to Jansenism/Calvinism/Puritanism, and they must fight it; I'm one of those. It certainly doesn't help to have your serious questions thrown into the ground by jesters, though, especially if they don't even use smilies to indicate sarcasm! Sticking tongue out at you

The hope for this thread was that people would say "of the X", and explain their philosophy behind it. Yes, it's a pious exercise... but when we live in a world so completely non-pious and full of emptiness (hehe), you need this sort of thing. Save your jokes for the political forum...  LOL

And I appreciate your thoughtful response.  Smile I suppose we have different ways of viewing things, because I didn't really see those responses as being lame or dismissive. I thought they were pretty clever, but I can see that you would be offended at someone not actually answering your question seriously. Although, you have to admit... Pius the Knife was pretty frickin' good.  ;D

I'm a person who generally enjoys jocularity (and alliteration!). I'm aware that it's a genetic defect, but it also helps me to deal with regular bouts of situational depression. When your natural temperament lies somewhere between Daria and Mrs. Bennett, you learn to take good humor where you can get it.

All that being said, I am willing to extend the olive branch (and get this thread back to some semblance of order) by giving your original prompt an actual, honest-to-goodness answer. Here goes (and believe it or not, this is me being serious):

If Roger the Shrubber finally kicked the bucket and I hied myself to a nunnery, I suppose I would try to join the Capuchin Poor Clares under one of these names:

Sister Anthony of the Holy Face – I love, love, love St. Anthony of Padua. He’s my spiritual big brother. I first started my devotion to St. Anthony because of the fact that I’m always losing and forgetting everything, but when I started to learn more about his life, I couldn’t help but fall more in love with him. And also, the miracle of the fish! ‘Nuff said.

“of the Holy Face” because I was born on a Friday at 3:00pm, so I think it’s pretty much required that I have some sort of Passion-related devotion. Besides, I’m such a lackluster Catholic that the image of the broken, bleeding face of the dying Christ would serve to constantly accuse me for my lukewarmness.

Sister Anthony of the Sacred Heart – Again with the Passion theme, this one because the Sacred Heart was my first devotion as a wee 11-year-old n00b Catholic. I’ve also had a particular devotion to the Divine Mercy Chaplet since that time, so I feel especially close to the Sacred Heart.

See, I can be a good girl when necessary. It must be wearing pants for so long that’s made me so cheeky (pun intended). Sticking tongue out at you

Edited to add:

(09-09-2011, 07:10 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]They're not LOL-funny when it's your own perfectly-crafted, emotionally-invested thread being ruined

PLEASE don't become emotionally invested in an internet forum, of all things! It's just not good for your health, my dear.
(09-09-2011, 07:58 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about other orders.  Would you share what you see as Franciscan charisms that are poison to you?

The whole focus of the Order as I understand it does not appeal to me; for one, it seems to paint poverty as a goal in of itself, whereas Dominicans never call it an end. Also, their blackfriar peers are more naturally focused on study and intellectual contemplation, placing abstract Truth above the Franciscan abstract Love. Bonaventure says only when we love do we see the truth, but Aquinas says that seeing the truth, be it the factual truth, leads immediately to true love of that truth, because truth is good (it has being), and good is diffusive automatically. Franciscan spirituality tends towards emotionalism and noise, from my experience.

Now, this is all from what I've seen and read. Perhaps "Franciscanism" is really different, but I go by founders. St. Dominic appeals to my temperament much more than St. Francis. I can't stand the fact that the latter purposefully sent out "apostles" two-by-two, almost as if He was taking our Lord's command to be like Him a little too seriously. Something about the cult of Francis bothers me too: the focus on Francis himself is a big part of being Franciscan, whereas Dominicans will speak of Dominic only in terms of the virtues he displayed, then go back to contemplating absolute truths of theology.  ;D

A serious, stoic, melancholic man cannot deal with Franciscan uppityness (to be flippant, but I mean no harm).

(09-09-2011, 08:13 PM)Begorra Wrote: [ -> ]All that being said, I am willing to extend the olive branch (and get this thread back to some semblance of order) by giving your original prompt an actual, honest-to-goodness answer. Here goes (and believe it or not, this is me being serious):

If Roger the Shrubber finally kicked the bucket and I hied myself to a nunnery, I suppose I would try to join the Capuchin Poor Clares under one of these names:

Sister Anthony of the Holy Face – I love, love, love St. Anthony of Padua. He’s my spiritual big brother. I first started my devotion to St. Anthony because of the fact that I’m always losing and forgetting everything, but when I started to learn more about his life, I couldn’t help but fall more in love with him. And also, the miracle of the fish! ‘Nuff said.

“of the Holy Face” because I was born on a Friday at 3:00pm, so I think it’s pretty much required that I have some sort of Passion-related devotion. Besides, I’m such a lackluster Catholic that the image of the broken, bleeding face of the dying Christ would serve to constantly accuse me for my lukewarmness.

Sister Anthony of the Sacred Heart – Again with the Passion theme, this one because the Sacred Heart was my first devotion as a wee 11-year-old n00b Catholic. I’ve also had a particular devotion to the Divine Mercy Chaplet since that time, so I feel especially close to the Sacred Heart.

That's more like it!  LOL I was born Friday Nov. 11, 1988, at 4:30 PM so I missed out on the hour of mercy... but I've always had a strange attraction to images of our Lord being removed from the Cross....

Quote:Edited to add:
... PLEASE don't become emotionally invested in an internet forum, of all things! It's just not good for your health, my dear.

I wasn't being especially serious there...  Smile though I'm not known for treating my health well.
(09-09-2011, 08:57 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't being especially serious there...  Smile though I'm not known for treating my health well.

...Which is exactly why you need to join a religious community, if indeed you are called to take orders! They'll take good care of you in spite of yourself. Smile
Laetare, were I not a Carmelite, I would be T.O.P, but never forget that the Archconfraternity of the Cord of St Francis took its origin from the two Saints exchanging their girdles and that St Dominic wore St Francis' girdle under his own habit until the day he died!
Sr. Therese Joseph, Sisters of the FSSPX.  If I had to add an "of the" to it, it would be Of The Holy Passion. Smile  Being part of the Third Order of SSPX, my name is Dymphna Joan.
no one is ruining your thread. get a grip. my answer was honest. you may find it funny. you may not.  that would be the name id  choose. if you do not want peoplel to answer a question
sip
DO NOT ASK IT!!
I should like to be known as Sister Maximilian of the Holy Souls.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7