FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What would your religious suffix be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(09-10-2011, 01:20 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]JD is the civil law degree (juris doctor), JCD is canon law and SSD is the doctorate in Sacred Scripture  Smile.

Just go for the JUD, juris utriusque doctor, of both Civil and Canon Law, granted only by the Pontifical Lateran University! LOL
(09-10-2011, 02:55 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Interestingly, my husband is a third order Dominican.  We are constantly having these "compare and contrast" discussions of the two orders.

And I'm sure that the Blessed Founders of your two Orders, good friends that they were (and are in Heaven, I'm sure) are chuckling over your discussions! Smile
(09-10-2011, 04:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 01:20 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]JD is the civil law degree (juris doctor), JCD is canon law and SSD is the doctorate in Sacred Scripture  Smile.

Just go for the JUD, juris utriusque doctor, of both Civil and Canon Law, granted only by the Pontifical Lateran University! LOL

I want one!
(09-10-2011, 04:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 02:55 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Interestingly, my husband is a third order Dominican.  We are constantly having these "compare and contrast" discussions of the two orders.

And I'm sure that the Blessed Founders of your two Orders, good friends that they were (and are in Heaven, I'm sure) are chuckling over your discussions! Smile

I suspect that me being a Franciscan at all is somebody-up-there's idea of a joke.  ;D
(09-10-2011, 02:37 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 02:33 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 01:42 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 01:41 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]US, I think the left/right model isn't very applicable here.

Why not. The left right spectrum in this instance is not in any way for political or 'right wrong' argument. It is only for use of studying the relation between the two philosophies.

It's not applicable because we can and must be both.  We must leave our attachment to things to serve God.  We serve others only to serve God.  We would be willing to suffer anything in order to be close to God, to let Him draw us to Him without putting in any obstances in the way.  Poverty, detachment from the world, silence, contemplation -- it's all related.

On a left-right spectrum, you would expect that as you leave one extreme you necessarily approach the other.  Rich and poor, tall and short, generous and stingy, proud and humble.  They are opposites of a sort.  But poor and contemplative?  They go together!

Carmelites emphasize love and contemplation but to do this, they must be poor.

Franciscans must be poor, but they do this for the love of God.

Both of them study even though they are not Dominicans, and we have Franciscan and Carmelite Doctors of the Church.

This

I'm not saying one side is better than the other. We need both sides. Some orders place more stock in contemplation, others in works of charity.

(09-10-2011, 08:24 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 02:37 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 02:33 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 01:42 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2011, 01:41 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]US, I think the left/right model isn't very applicable here.

Why not. The left right spectrum in this instance is not in any way for political or 'right wrong' argument. It is only for use of studying the relation between the two philosophies.

It's not applicable because we can and must be both.  We must leave our attachment to things to serve God.  We serve others only to serve God.  We would be willing to suffer anything in order to be close to God, to let Him draw us to Him without putting in any obstances in the way.  Poverty, detachment from the world, silence, contemplation -- it's all related.

On a left-right spectrum, you would expect that as you leave one extreme you necessarily approach the other.  Rich and poor, tall and short, generous and stingy, proud and humble.  They are opposites of a sort.  But poor and contemplative?  They go together!

Carmelites emphasize love and contemplation but to do this, they must be poor.

Franciscans must be poor, but they do this for the love of God.

Both of them study even though they are not Dominicans, and we have Franciscan and Carmelite Doctors of the Church.

This

I'm not saying one side is better than the other. We need both sides. Some orders place more stock in contemplation, others in works of charity.

Each Religious Order, and Religious Congregation, has a School of Spirituality they prefer.

Each approved School of Spirituality has produced Holy Saints.

It is all a matter of personal preferences because, ultimately, it has to do with the Vocation of each Soul - what each one is called to do for God - Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam - For the Greater Glory of God.

Therefore, by nature, some Souls prefer the Active Life, others the Contemplative Life. 

I was reading where it frequently happens that the devils tempt those in the  Active Life that they are wasting their time, and would save more Souls if they were to become members of the Contemplative Life, while other devils tempt those in the Contemplative Life that they are wasting their time, and would save more Souls if they were to become members of the Active Life!

A deeper analysis finds that Souls of Religious have a Vocation to vastly different kinds of the Religious Life.  For example, some have a Vocation devoted to meditation on the Passion of Christ, others prefer to be Missionaries, others prefer to Preach, others to Teach, other to give Parish Missions, others to be Nurses, other to propagate a certain devotion, whether to Christ or Our Blessed Mother, etc., etc.

Many Religious Orders and Religious Congregations have had their share of writers who have written on many different subjects.

It is somewhat similar in civil society because not everyone has the same exact Vocation.  Thus, not everyone is a member of the police force, or fire department, or a white-collar worker, or a blue-collar worker, or an employee of a company, or the owner of a company, etc., etc.

Thanks for Reading!  Smile

God Bless You!  Pray

A Catholic Catholic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7