FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: lay person doing sermon a TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-11-2011, 01:14 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:12 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:09 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]If "Blessed" John Paul II can do it with with half-naked women, so can ayone else.

I don't like JP2 anymore than you probably do, but he's a beatus nonetheless. It lacks prudence to question the validity of his beatification, which was proclaimed by the pope according to the traditional formula.

Of course.

*buries head in the sand*

Do you question that Benedict is pope?

Or do you question the authority of the pope in general to beatify?

Or do you question the authority of Pope Benedict specifically to beatify?

Or do you simply question the validity of the action of beatifying John Paul II?

I'm trying to understand your logic.

Logic? Precisely.

You guys boast of Christianity being a religion that is not contrary to reason, a religion that believes in the eternal logos, etc., and rightfully so. But when faced with things like John Paul II getting away with murder and being beatified on top of it, many of you will just bury your heads in the sand and repeat ad nauseam: "if the pope said so or did so then it must be so," etc.

So much for logic and reason, right?

My quip is simple: if John Paul II is really "blessed," then most of us will be just fine. Don't worry too much. In fact, it's a liberating thought.
(09-11-2011, 12:41 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this was incorrect too, but today a lay missionary from some Haiti group spoke during the sermon at the TLM parish I was visiting.

Same thing happened. 
(09-11-2011, 01:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:14 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:12 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:09 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 01:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]If "Blessed" John Paul II can do it with with half-naked women, so can ayone else.

I don't like JP2 anymore than you probably do, but he's a beatus nonetheless. It lacks prudence to question the validity of his beatification, which was proclaimed by the pope according to the traditional formula.

Of course.

*buries head in the sand*

Do you question that Benedict is pope?

Or do you question the authority of the pope in general to beatify?

Or do you question the authority of Pope Benedict specifically to beatify?

Or do you simply question the validity of the action of beatifying John Paul II?

I'm trying to understand your logic.

Logic? Precisely.

You guys boast of Christianity being a religion that is not contrary to reason, a religion that believes in the eternal logos, etc., and rightfully so. But when faced with things like John Paul II getting away with murder and being beatified on top of it, many of you will just bury your heads in the sand and repeat ad nauseam: "if the pope said so or did so then it must be so," etc.

So much for logic and reason, right?

My quip is simple: if John Paul II is really "blessed," then most of us will be just fine. Don't worry too much. In fact, it's a liberating thought.

Res created a new thread on this topic:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33590036
(09-11-2011, 01:24 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 12:41 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this was incorrect too, but today a lay missionary from some Haiti group spoke during the sermon at the TLM parish I was visiting.

Same thing happened. 

I got lucky.  I attended my first Solemn High Mass today :D 

Nice to see three priests up there on the sanctuary :) 
(09-11-2011, 01:24 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]

Same thing happened. 
I think you were sitting behind me.
(09-11-2011, 12:34 PM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]I was in a Diocesan Latin Mass today and a layman went up and did the sermon.  I don't think this is legit.  I left the church.  I believe they can't mix rites. Lay people are not allowed to speak in the sanctuary in the TLM.
Although it certainly is a bad idea, I don't think its a violation of the rubrics, because the TLM has no rubrics for the sermon, the sermon is an interruption of the Mass.
It is prohibited in the NO, but ironically I don't think it's prohibited in the TLM (I'd be happy to be proven wrong).
(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 12:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

The sermon is an interruption of the mass, which is why the priest takes off the maniple during the sermon. I am not quite sure what rubrics if any exist for the TLM regarding the sermon. In the NO a lay person may occasionally give a few words (but not the sermon) if they have something very important to share (such as the work of a missionary).
Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)
It was customary in some countries before Vat. II that a priest would read the readings in Latin silently while a layman read the vernacular translation, so this can't be correct. The SSPX in France still practices this.
(09-11-2011, 02:00 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 12:46 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

The sermon is an interruption of the mass, which is why the priest takes off the maniple during the sermon. I am not quite sure what rubrics if any exist for the TLM regarding the sermon. In the NO a lay person may occasionally give a few words (but not the sermon) if they have something very important to share (such as the work of a missionary).
Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)
It was customary in some countries before Vat. II that a priest would read the readings in Latin silently while a layman read the vernacular translation, so this can't be correct. The SSPX in France still practices this.

The SSPX doesn't wear the biretta properly either.  They are the modernists of tradition!!! 
(09-11-2011, 02:00 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)
It was customary in some countries before Vat. II that a priest would read the readings in Latin silently while a layman read the vernacular translation

From the sanctuary?

I have seen, in the NO, that when a layman does an announcement about missionary work etc., he would do it in front of the sanctuary steps (where the rail would be). This is not ideal (I find it distracting), but it's definitely better than a layman stepping in the sanctuary and speaking from the pulpit.
Boy I don't know about this. I remember missionaries before Vatican II preaching from the pulpit but they were priests, and usually had said Mass. I though all of this was NO.

tim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6