FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Do Relics of the Virgin Mary Exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Obviously since she was assumed into heaven there are no relics of her body, but are there any first, second or third class relics of her?
We must think alike in some terms, because I was thinking of this earlier during the week. But, I don't know about any relics of the BVM.
(09-11-2011, 05:32 PM)TradCathYouth Wrote: [ -> ]We must think alike in some terms, because I was thinking of this earlier during the week. But, I don't know about any relics of the BVM.

Small world! I was thinking relics could exist of items she touched, but I have never heard of any. 
There are relics of her veil and some of her other clothing in some churches, and allegedly some of her hair.

http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/questions/yq2/yq323.html
Sorry, I'm kind of skeptic about relics in general - if we gather all the wood from the Cross we would have a forest. The few I believe in are from the more modern saints and the Shroud, of course.
(09-11-2011, 06:50 PM)patricia m. Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I'm kind of skeptic about relics in general - if we gather all the wood from the Cross we would have a forest. The few I believe in are from the more modern saints and the Shroud, of course.

Actually all the relics of the true cross would only make up about half the cross. 
I've personally held a relic of Our Lady's veil, so I can say that such relics do exist. :)  As far as I'm concerned, if the Church provided this relic to us, with certification that it is authentic, then . . . that's good enough for me!
There are many alleged relics, but I doubt there are any true relics.
(09-11-2011, 06:52 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2011, 06:50 PM)patricia m. Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I'm kind of skeptic about relics in general - if we gather all the wood from the Cross we would have a forest. The few I believe in are from the more modern saints and the Shroud, of course.

Actually all the relics of the true cross would only make up about half the cross. 

Very true! I've been privileged to venerate two of them and they are tiny slivers. It was the archheretic and Freemason, Voltaire who coined the lie that '(I)f we gather all the wood from the Cross we would have a forest'.
(09-11-2011, 07:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Very true! I've been privileged to venerate two of them and they are tiny slivers. It was the archheretic and Freemason, Voltaire who coined the lie that '(I)f we gather all the wood from the Cross we would have a forest'.

It was Calvin:

"There is no abbey so poor as not to have a specimen. In some places there are large fragments, as at the Holy Chapel in Paris, at Poitiers, and at Rome, where a good-sized crucifix is said to have been made of it. In brief, if all the pieces that could be found were collected together, they would make a big ship-load. Yet the Gospel testifies that a single man was able to carry it."
— Calvin, Traité Des Reliques.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6