FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: IH(a)S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen the christogram IHS at times written with a lower case a in between the last two letters: IHaS. I've seen this a few times on older buildings, as far as I remember only in France. I have a few pictures of it, but can't find them now. The letters are generally quite spaced and look more like this: I  H a  S, often with the usual cross on the bridge of the H. 

The christogram stands for Iesus Hominum Salvator or the Greek for Jesus (iησυς). Why then would there be an additional a added to it? Any thoughts?
The "a" is for awesome.

Because Jesus is awesome.

Don't say he isnt.

:laughing:

"Those French, they have a different word for everything!"

I have never seen that form of Christ's Monogram.  Could it mean something else, something not related to Jesus but to the Revolution, or something profane?  You didn't mention seeing it on churches so perhaps there's a secular meaning.

I looked up "IHS" at the main Fish Eaters site.  You'll notice it says that the "Iesus Hominum Salvator" ("Jesus Saviour of Men") or "In His Service" … are false interpretations, but common nonetheless.  Maybe what you've seen on French buildings is a French false interpretation.

Here's the entire quote:

IHS  Monogram of Jesus's Name. Many believe the letters mean "Iesus Hominum Salvator" ("Jesus Saviour of Men") or "In His Service." These are false interpretations, but common nonetheless. This monogram is iconographically associated, too, with St. Bernardine of Siena, St. John Capistran, St. Vincent Ferrer, and the Jesuit Order. Sometimes also written as "IHC" or "JHS."

Another Christogram (from the Fish Eaters site) is

IC XC  Jesus Christ (from the Greek)

The search at the main site gave four other hits having to do with the Holy Name but shedding no light on your question.  Have you tried a web search?