FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gerry Matatics' a sede?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Oh dear, here we go again. You will get rather different answers from me and Maurice, as I like and admire Charles, who is one of America's leading monarchists and whose fascinating website has been a major influence on my own thinking, while Maurice believes him to be a dangerous occultist.

First of all, as an aside, Charles does not expect to be referred to as "Sir"; the correct designation is KCStS after his name, as he was made a member of the Order of St. Sylvester by Pope John Paul II, which honor presumably is as valid as JPII's papacy...

Briefly, I think it is fair to say that Charles's enthusiasm for folklore, mythology and fantasy, and his conviction that given these common interests with people who are involved in gnostic and occultic type movements it is his calling to evangelize them and convince them that what they are looking for can in fact be found only in the Catholic Church, have led him to develop contacts and associations which some believe that no Catholic should have.

In an attempt to be objective, I will provide the following two links so that you can make up your own mind.

Here is Thomas Drolesky's rather hostile interview with Charles:
http://www.christorchaos.com/CoulombeQuestions.html

and here is Charles's own satirical and somewhat tongue-in-cheek response to the whole controversy:
http://www.cheetah.net/~ccoulomb/confessions.html

Regarding Gerry Matatics, I am not sure what Maurice means by him being "involved" with Charles; I know that they have been on friendly terms.
royalcello Wrote:... as he was made a member of the Order of St. Sylvester by Pope John Paul II, which honor presumably is as valid as JPII's papacy...
That is correct, royal[Image: laff.gif], but I thank you for the info, including the links.[Image: tiphat2.gif]

gladius_veritatis Wrote:... I think I recall the name of Coulombe from the Catholic Treasures catalogs.  What, briefly, is his story, Maurice (or anyone else who knows)? 

In his words:

Quote:  

"...for if the Mass is not magical, then what is?'"

"Many of the best known humanists of the Renaissance -- (Johannes) Reuchlin and Pico della Mirandola...were at once Cabalists and good Catholics.

"One cannot tell with complete accuracy what will happen. But we can know what must happen if the Church is to function properly. She must return to the... magical view of life; and the process of baptizing Hermeticism, interrupted by the Reformation, must be completed." (Charles Coulombe, The Esoteric Orthodoxy of Catholicism, Gnosis Magazine, Summer 1990)

Matatics and Coulombe "Fireside Chats"

Thanks to both of you, Maurice and royal, for the info.  I am sorry if I derailed the thread by asking for info herein, but I did not know much about the man in question. 

If G.M. is indeed of the same mind as the Dimonds on the issue of e.e.n.s, it is sad, as there can be no doubt his natural gifts surpass those of many others, and they ought not be used to propagate such erroneous ideas.

Sorry, but may I bother you, again: this time for a brief definition of Hermeticism?
Quote:Sorry, but may I bother you, again: this time for a brief definition of Hermeticism?

Oy vey!

Here we go....:crazy:
gladius_veritatis Wrote: 

Sorry, but may I bother you, again: this time for a brief definition of Hermeticism?

Hermeticism is a core doctrine of the occult tradition associated with the mythical "Hermes Trismegistus," identified with the Egyptian moon-god, Thoth, of Hermopolis.

However, a brief definition does the matter no justice. I've gone into further detail HERE about 2/3 of the way down the page.
Avalonik Wrote:
Quote:Sorry, but may I bother you, again: this time for a brief definition of Hermeticism?

Oy vey!

Here we go....:crazy:

You're still pimping for Coulombe and Hermeticism even despite having been confronted with condemnations of it from St. Thomas and St. Augustine as well as expositions from the Catholic Encyclopedia of it's connections to Freemasonry, Rosicrucianism and Kabbalah. You cling obstinately to your errors. And your "defense," as usual, is a meaningless, dismissive remark.

That "crazy" emoticon suits you very well.

The mysterious Taauth (Thoth), the Hermes Trismegistus of antiquity, was regarded the earliest teacher of astrology in Egypt. He is reputed to have laid the foundation of astrology in the "Hermetic Books"; the division of the zodiac into the twelve signs is also due to him. In classic antiquity many works on astrology or on occult sciences in general were ascribed to this mythical founder of Egyptian astrology. (Catholic Encyclopedia, "Astrology")

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02018e.htm 

Hermeticism, along with Kabbalah are at the core of Rosicrucian and Freemasonic philosophy.

Quote:
After 1750 occult Rosicrucianism was propagated by Freemasonry, where it led to endless extravagant manifestations (St. Germain, Cagliostro, Schropfer, Wollner etc.). In the system of high degrees in "Scottish" Freemasonry, especially in the Rosendruez degree, the Rosicrucian symbols are still retained with a Masonic interpretation ... According to the definition of the president of the London (Rosicrucian) branch (Supreme Magus), Brother Dr. Wm. Wynn Westcott, M.B., P.Z., it is "the aim of the Society to afford mutual aid and encouragement in working out the great problems of life and in searching out the secrets of nature; to facilitate the study of philosophy founded upon the Kabbalah and the doctrines of Hermes Trismegistus, which was inculcated by the original Fratres Roseae Crucis of Germany, A.D. 1450; and to investigate the meaning and symbolism of all that now remains of the wisdom, art, and literature of the ancient world".  (Catholic Encyclopedia, "Rosicrucians")

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13193b.htm