FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S5pczYtgcME/TB...-pope3.jpg

Does anybody know who the woman is wearing pants? I didn't realize women could wear pants in the presence of the Holy Father.

Elizabeth

The circle reopens.
Probably a nun...
(09-13-2011, 02:56 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]The circle reopens.

Wil the circle be unbroken, by and by Lord, by and by.

*wakes up*

Ooops, sorry, I was sleepwalking (and sleepsinging???).  Guess I'm not on the Opry at the moment.

Every Epiphany, His Holiness baptizes a dozen or so babies and the ceremony is broadcast.  The baptisms take place in the Sistine Chapel. 

At least half of the moms wear nice pants for their baby's baptism.  They're Italian and all look chic, mostly wearing black or brown, generally wearing a matching or coordinated soft style jacket.  Some veil but not all do.

Last January he had the fathers kneel at a Prie-Dieu to receive Communion while the mothers stood, holding the baby, and, like the fathers, received on the tongue.  I would guess this was done to avoid passing the baby back and forth and causing a cry that would get the whole chapel crying.

(09-13-2011, 02:51 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody know who the woman is wearing pants? I didn't realize women could wear pants in the presence of the Holy Father.

Elizabeth

I'm pretty sure women wearing pants around the Pope is a common occurrence.

And as Revixit suggested, there's a difference between "ugly fat American women in jeans or pantsuits", and "fashion-conscious Italian women in nice pants".

Revixit Wrote:At least half of the moms wear nice pants for their baby's baptism.  They're Italian and all look chic, mostly wearing black or brown, generally wearing a matching or coordinated soft style jacket.  Some veil but not all do.

Furthermore, judging by the pants-wearing lady's skin color (pic's too small to see anything else), she could be of South or Southeast Asian descent. In those cultures, women have been wearing pants for much longer than Vatican II, or even probably Trent.

At least Michelle had the decency to wear the required black, unlike the skank Cherie Blair, Red Tony's 'Catholic' wife, who wore white!
Since the President and Mrs. Obama are in the picture, I am guessing this is a state occasion. All the other women are in dresses/skirts, even Mrs. Obama. I would think anybody in that group would be part of the official group representing the US, and so, as an American, I would think she would wear appropriate clothing also.  I'm actually shocked Mrs. Obama wore a correct outfit!
(09-13-2011, 05:39 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: [ -> ]Since the President and Mrs. Obama are in the picture, I am guessing this is a state occasion. All the other women are in dresses/skirts, even Mrs. Obama. I would think anybody in that group would be part of the official group representing the US, and so, as an American, I would think she would wear appropriate clothing also.  I'm actually shocked Mrs. Obama wore a correct outfit!

That is indeed a possibility.

I'm just saying that as someone of Indonesian descent myself (also an American), I never really got the hangups that other people have about women in pants. They are normal even in traditional segments of Southeast Asian culture. Sometimes the pants are worn under dresses, sometimes not.
(09-13-2011, 05:39 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: [ -> ]I'm actually shocked Mrs. Obama wore a correct outfit!

I'm not at all. Even Raisa Gorbachev wore black when presented to John Paul II. The only woman I know who hasn't is Cherie Blair, who is theoretically a Catholic.
Pages: 1 2