FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Group: Prosecute Pope for Crimes Against Humanity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quote:An international group for victims of sexual abuse by priests said Tuesday it was asking the International Criminal Court to prosecute Pope Benedict XVI for crimes against humanity.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) said it had filed a complaint calling on the ICC to "take action and prosecute the pope" for "direct and superior responsibility for the crimes against humanity of rape and other sexual violence committed around the world."

International law experts said the case may not go very far because the ICC prosecutor only investigates complaints if asked to do so by the United Nations Security Council, by a state that has ratified the Rome Statute, or on the prosecutor's own initiative. The ICC also investigates crimes, not people.

But in their statement, the hardhitting organization said the ICC's jurisdiction "names rape, sexual violence assault, and torture as crimes against humanity."

"It also provides for individual criminal liability for those with command or superior responsibility over those who directly commit such crimes," it said.

SNAP said that based on this criteria, members from Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and the United States had travelled to The Hague to urge prosecutors to investigate the head of the Roman Catholic church.

The U.S.-based victims network submitted more than 20,000 pages of supporting materials including "reports, policy papers, and evidence of the crimes by Catholic clergy committed against children and vulnerable adults," it said.

Marco Politi, Vatican expert and commentator for Il Fatto Quotidiano paper, said "the legal situation is not yet clear," but that the dossier submitted "re-opens the question over a cover-up in the 1980s and 1990s. The problem remains that the Vatican has not opened its archives and has not even launched an international investigation into its dioceses around the world."

SNAP members were accompanied by lawyers from the non-profit U.S. Centre for Constitutional Rights.

"Crimes against tens of thousands of victims, most of them children, are being covered up by officials at the highest level of the Vatican. In this case, all roads really do lead to Rome," the centre's lawyer, Pam Spees, said in the statement.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Vict...z1Xw9OM9Mb
Oh, yes, I saw this in the news, too. I suppose I expected it one day or another.

The world hates the Faith. It will persecute anything that is even remotely associated with Catholicism.
Oh it's time now! Pope Benedict XVI should offer every Catholic Vatican citizenship, and form an Army. It's time to beat back all the enemies of God. I've had enough. I can't run like I used to but I could easily sit in a Huey and fire a 50 caliber machine gun.

tim
(09-14-2011, 10:46 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Oh it's time now! Pope Benedict XVI should offer every Catholic Vatican citizenship, and form an Army. It's time to beat back all the enemies of God. I've had enough. I can't run like I used to but I could easily sit in a Huey and fire a 50 caliber machine gun.

tim

First step: recapture the papal lands?
You know, I heard about this a few months back.  Is this the same group or is this now happening again?
These efforts never go anywhere. Just activists using the courts to generate some anti-papal headlines. Nothing new.
I think the reason so many are still mad at the Church hierarchy is because no real justice--other than the alms donated by hardworking parishioners--has been doled out (and the fact that the alms meant for the poor are being used instead as sex abuse pay-outs just adds insult to injury).  A public penance (like the flogging that Henry II got) and a long stay in a remote monastery for the perpetrators would probably go a long way to restore confidence in the Church and her clergy (personally, I'd like to see a few broken knees).
(09-14-2011, 10:51 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]I think the reason so many are still mad at the Church hierarchy is because no real justice--other than the alms donated by hardworking parishioners--has been doled out (and the fact that the alms meant for the poor are being used instead as sex abuse pay-outs just adds insult to injury).  A public penance (like the flogging that Henry II got) and a long stay in a remote monastery for the perpetrators would probably go a long way to restore confidence in the Church and her clergy (personally, I'd like to see a few broken knees).
I am in agreement with UD on this one.........

If one of my kids was raped by a priest someones getting hanged. >sad
(09-14-2011, 10:48 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]You know, I heard about this a few months back.  Is this the same group or is this now happening again?

The group actually filed a case at the ICC now. 
(09-14-2011, 10:54 AM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-14-2011, 10:51 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]I think the reason so many are still mad at the Church hierarchy is because no real justice--other than the alms donated by hardworking parishioners--has been doled out (and the fact that the alms meant for the poor are being used instead as sex abuse pay-outs just adds insult to injury).  A public penance (like the flogging that Henry II got) and a long stay in a remote monastery for the perpetrators would probably go a long way to restore confidence in the Church and her clergy (personally, I'd like to see a few broken knees).
I am in agreement with UD on this one.........

If one of my kids was raped by a priest someones getting hanged. >sad

Truth.  And knowing what we know about the nature of people who have attractions to children there isn't a rehabilitation.  Sure, some people are able to just be self-disciplined but by and large, if you've got the bug you've got the bug.  Once a raper of kids always a raper of kids.

Only two options I see are snip snip or zap zap. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9