FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Fr." Patrick J Conroy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Every heard of this priest? Hes the Chaplain for the House Of Representatives. Just appointed on May of this year.
I happened upon his name because I was looking into "military chaplains rank" to follow up on a different thread.
What got me off guard is a quote from him when it comes to public prayer:

Conroy's work with students of all faiths has helped him feel comfortable with prayers that are inclusive. "I never pray in the name of Jesus – except when I'm doing something Catholic – saying Mass, for example."

I know this guy is NO etc. etc. but you would think that he'd be Catholic...on the outside at least.

Wow.....

He was recommended to the current speaker by the previous speaker of the house. That's right this is a Nancy Pelosi recommendation. Now that should tell u quite a bit about this priest. Also says a lot about the type of Catholic education Mrs. Pelosi has been getting.
I was once admonished on this forum for putting 'Fr' in quotes regarding a priest of whose ordination their was much more doubt than I'm sure their is about Father Conroy's. Just sayin'.
Quote: "I never pray in the name of Jesus – except when I'm doing something Catholic – saying Mass, for example."

Isn't that pretty much how Catholic chaplains in the (US) armed forces operate?
Do you doubt this priests ordination?
Fr might be a bad priest, but if he was ordained he is indeed a Father, sans the scare quotes.
How is it that we can judge a priest's entire theology, his orthodoxy, and his politics by one quote?

I don't know the rules for the House of Representatives, but it might be the case that chaplains are bound to compose inclusive prayers.  I'd rather have an inclusive prayer spoken in the House, then no prayer.  (Lord, knows the politicians need all the help they can get.)
(09-15-2011, 04:16 PM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: [ -> ]How is it that we can judge a priest's entire theology, his orthodoxy, and his politics by one quote?

I don't know the rules for the House of Representatives, but it might be the case that chaplains are bound to compose inclusive prayers.  I'd rather have an inclusive prayer spoken in the House, then no prayer.  (Lord, knows the politicians need all the help they can get.)
Help? From whom?
Who would you be praying to?
I'd rather have an EXCLUSIVE prayer to Jesus Christ our Lord. and not to "kumbaya"
Was he ordained, or not?
(09-15-2011, 04:29 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Was he ordained, or not?

Dan, I think we can assume he was, but that doesn't stop certain people from using their 'right of individual interpretation' to decide differently! Smile
(09-15-2011, 04:29 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]Was he ordained, or not?
So is Fr. Pfleger. (at least to your standards)

Kumbaya, anyone?
Pages: 1 2 3