FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Leading theologian finds "downright Pelagian terminology" in Vatican II document
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A snippet from the commentary on Gaudium et Spes written by Pope Benedict back in 1969:

[Image: ratzgs.jpg]

Unless his views on this have changed since (and I can't find any evidence of that), this Pope does not have a problem with criticism of formulae found in Vatican II's documents.
1. Was he quoting someone else? There are single quotation marks around the expression.

2. "downright" is not a very theological term, and I am quite surprised at how loose the language of expression is here, if it is supposed to have been written in a serious work of theology. Maybe the source and context would help?
The quotation marks around "downright Pelagian terminology" are not in Ratzinger's original commentary; the snip above was taken from someone (Tracey Rowland) quoting the passage, and she seems to have added them. (Perhaps to accentuate the phrase?) The relevant section of the original source can be seen - in snippet view, which is why I took the longer passage from Rowland - by clicking on the link for "back in 1969".
(09-16-2011, 07:27 AM)maldon Wrote: [ -> ]1. Was he quoting someone else? There are single quotation marks around the expression.

2. "downright" is not a very theological term, and I am quite surprised at how loose the language of expression is here, if it is supposed to have been written in a serious work of theology. Maybe the source and context would help?

This is a known quote of his....and no...he was not quoting someone else.  It was his assessment

Why is this quote being posted for no reason?
To show that "this Pope does not have a problem with criticism of formulae found in Vatican II's documents" - he's done it himself.