FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican II contradicts previous Church councils
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I keep seeing this claim made. Could someone show me, by direct quotation, a single example of a sentence or passage from Vatican II contradicting a sentence or passage from an earlier Church council?
I don't have the time to research various councils, But the following are in conflict with PiusX's Quanta cura

-The Church of Christ subsists in (not is) the Catholic Church (Lumen Gentium, §8),

-"... all men should be immune from coercion on the part of ... every human power so that, within due limits, nobody is forced to act against his convictions nor is anyone to be restrained from acting in accordance with his convictions..." (§2),

- "The Vatican Council declares that the human person has a right to religious freedom..." (Dignitatis Humanae, §2),

- "This right of the human person to religious freedom must be given such recognition in the constitutional order of society as will make it a civil right" (§2),

Quanta Cura isn't a Church council.

[Image: failed.gif]

I did specify Church councils. If people want to discuss tensions with previous papal encyclicals, that can be a separate thread. Perhaps.
According to Mons Brunero Gherardini in his book 'Vatican II a Much Needed Discussion", it departs from previous Church teaching:
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/mershon/101222

And Monsignor is a priest theologian in good standing with the Holy See.
(09-16-2011, 02:10 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]I keep seeing this claim made. Could someone show me, by direct quotation, a single example of a sentence or passage from Vatican II contradicting a sentence or passage from an earlier Church council?

The Councils of Constance and Vatican I contradict one another.  While undesirable, it wouldn't be a first.  Councils while carrying a good deal of weight are not infallible in and of themselves. 
You're a sad joke, archdiocesan.
(09-16-2011, 02:38 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]You're a sad joke, archdiocesan.

...and also with you.
Bishop Fellay in reference to Monsignor Gherardini:
"In a recent interview with Superior General Bishop Bernard Fellay of the Society of St. Pius X, he opined: "I just hope there will be more than one theology professor who would begin to say such things. I think it would be a great, great help in helping to restore the Church
"Monsignor Gherardini laments a “misguided ecumenism, in search of what unites, rather than of what divides. … We entered into a new spirit of conciliation, adaptation, resignation, wary of other people’s preconditions, almost as though we believed, perhaps without admitting it, that the truth was on the other side. Should somebody ask me whether modernism was ultimately let into the very fabric of the Council’s documents to the point that the Fathers themselves were infected by it, my answer would be yes and no. No, because the supernatural spirit is not at all absent from the Council thanks to its open profession of the Faith in the Trinity, the Incarnation, the universal redemption of the Word, along with its deep conviction about the universal calling to sanctity, its acceptance [of] and faith in the sanctifying effect of the sacraments, its particularly high regard for the liturgical and Eucharistic worship, the sanctifying role of the Church and a theologically nourished devotion to Mary. My answer is also yes, because modernistic ideas still can be found in several Council documents, notably in Gaudium et Spes, and a few prominent Council Fathers were openly sympathetic to old and new modernitsts. They wished to have a Church in a pilgrimage toward the Truth, like every other pilgrim, a friend and ally of every other researcher, endorsing even in the field of sacred studies, the same critical methodology applicable to every other science. In short, their Church was to be a kind of research laboratory rather than a dispenser of Truths from on high.”

From 'Catholicism.org"
Pages: 1 2