FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditional take on chaplets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MICHAEL FELLINA

Friends Hi!,

In building my faith on the physical united with the spiritual (the perfection that is Catholicism), I want to take up the physical sacramentals more fully. As an aspirant toward Traditional Catholicism, it would be good to come closer to our Lord Jesus through the great, powerful weapons of prayer He has let trickle down like dew from Heaven. The rosary is obvious, but I'm wondering about chaplets and your experience with them, especially the "traditional" take on them.

Example 1: do you pray chaplets in Latin? Did the laity ever really pray chaplets in Latin, or were they meant for popular vernacular devotion?
Example 2: how can you be sure what the true form of Chaplet X is, to merit grace and life from God? St. Anne's chaplet sites variously instruct you to say "Jesus, Mary, and St. Anne, grant the favour I ask" after each Hail Mary, but some put the prayer after each set of Hail Marys.
Example 3: will I know which chaplet is some weird heretical modernist invention: i.e. the "Rosary of the Father"?

There are so many souls to pray for, so much evil to be undone by contemplative warfare. Given the state of the Church, I have no idea what to trust regarding chaplets. Any stories, experiences, fulfilled promises, or such like?
I never pray anything in Latin except saying the Ave during the Rosary. I have a recording of the Rosary in Latin to help me learn it.

I suggest just praying the chaplet in your native language. God understands all languages and praying it in Latin doesn't make it more "powerful" or better.  Smile
I often pray my Rosary in Latin, but I think that the laity have been praying private devotions in the vernacular for centuries. In fact, I once read a comment to the effect that the "Spirit of Vatican II" did not have much enthusiasm for the Rosary partly because the it was ALREADY said in the vernacular, so there was no way to "improve" it.

Yes, there was a time centuries ago when chaplets were prayed in Latin. Before the Dominican Rosary, there were prayer beads called paternosters, because a Paternoster was prayed for each bead. Over time, the Ave replaced the Pater as the most common prayer per bead.

That being said, in the Middle Ages the average peasant probably didn't pray much in Latin besides the Paternoster, Ave, Credo and maybe a handful of other prayers considered essential at the time. Especially devout nobles could pray abbreviated forms of the Office.