FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Coming Soon: The 2012 Missal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(09-19-2011, 07:57 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you want the '62 missal to be "renovated"?  Tradition means "not changing".

Like I said on another thread - keep going this way and soon you are going to have TLMs with the rainbow vestments and the Our-Father-hand-holders.

If it was good enough for 500 years onward from Trent - it's good enough for me.

Tradition does not mean unchanging.  We're traditional not old fashioned.  We're not devoted to the TLM out of some antiquarian desire.  The calendar has changed many times over the past 500 years.  If you don't believe me look at this missal from 1815.  It's rather embarrassing that we're still using the 1962 missal.  That makes us our liturgy sound like it has died.  Now the ordinary of the mass must be protected, but the calendar has always been tinkered with. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=E3cWAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Missal+ROman&hl=en&ei=3dd3TqnQA4Tq0gH8lMnyDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

(09-19-2011, 08:01 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2011, 07:57 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you want the '62 missal to be "renovated"?  Tradition means "not changing".

Like I said on another thread - keep going this way and soon you are going to have TLMs with the rainbow vestments and the Our-Father-hand-holders.

If it was good enough for 500 years onward from Trent - it's good enough for me.

Tradition does not mean unchanging.  We're traditional not old fashioned.  We're not devoted to the TLM out of some antiquarian desire.  The calendar has changed many times over the past 500 years.  If you don't believe me look at this missal from 1815.  It's rather embarrassing that we're still using the 1962 missal.  That makes us our liturgy sound like it has died.  Now the ordinary of the mass must be protected, but the calendar has always been tinkered with. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=E3cWAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Missal+ROman&hl=en&ei=3dd3TqnQA4Tq0gH8lMnyDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

OK, I grant you that.  But not the calendar alone.  Do you want a 3-year cycle of readings like the NO?  Do you want options for the Canon?  Once the camel's got it's nose under the tent.....it's only a matter of time.
New prefaces and new saints would, I think, be a good thing, and have been added ever since the Roman Missal was first promulgated after Trent. Their inclusion would show that the Latin Mass isn't a museum piece or temporary concession to cranks, but is now regarded by Rome as a continuing expression of the faith of the Church. I doubt any bigger moves would be attempted in the near future - given the reaction it would trigger - but I'd love to see a movement to reverse the liturgical changes which occurred under Pius XII. Once you've experienced a pre-1955 Holy Week, it's hard not to want to see it restored. Likewise the vigils of Pentecost and the Epiphany, among other things we lost in the 1950s.

Quote:OK, I grant you that.  But not the calendar alone.  Do you want a 3-year cycle of readings like the NO?  Do you want options for the Canon?  Once the camel's got it's nose under the tent.....it's only a matter of time.

Heavens no! But, they're talking about adding a few saints and prefaces. I doubt they really want to piss off the SSPX right now by adding the NO calendar. 
(09-19-2011, 08:23 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt any bigger moves would be attempted in the near future - given the reaction it would trigger - but I'd love to see a movement to reverse the liturgical changes which occurred under Pius XII. Once you've experienced a pre-1955 Holy Week, it's hard not to want to see it restored.

This seems like a no-brainier to me.  Really, what trad would complain and what person at the NO would care?
I'm sure Commonweal and America would manage to rustle up a few outraged liturgists.
(09-19-2011, 08:30 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Commonweal and America would manage to rustle up a few outraged liturgists.

Does anyone, including Progressive Catholics, even read that crap?
Restore the Sequence of Christmas, Laetabundus.
I think that was dropped a little earlier than the 1950s. Still, if we're going back that far, I'd like to put in a good word for the Sarum Use.
I think there's something silly in this string of requests. Changes, even in the calendar, are to be regarded with trepidation.

That said... I'd like them to restore Epiphanytide!

(I'd say a return to the pre-1955 Holy Week is unlikely, even with the SSPX back in. Someone [anybody] correct me if I'm wrong, but the SSPX doesn't particularly push for the pre-55 Holy Week, does it?)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9