FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It's Ember Wenesday: Don't Eat Meat or More Than One Full Meal!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Today is Ember Wednesday, traditionally a day of fasting and abstinence. 

This means you should refrain from eating meat AND eating more than one meal or you will reveal yourself as a manifest modernist.  Traditionally a light breakfast was allowed if you decided you would be unable to keep the fast without it, but it is encouraged you not eat breakfast unless absolutely needed to keep the fast.  In addition ONE collation (a light meal) was also permitted. 

I am posting this late Tuesday evening so you have a chance to eat a little extra in anticipation of the fast. 

Fish Eaters article on Ember Days: http://fisheaters.com/emberdays.html
I was going into adoration tonight and ran into one of my friends who doesn't usually follow the traditional calendar too closely, but nonetheless enjoys the TLM and goes to it on occasion. He said "Hey, don't forget the ember days start tomorrow." Needless to say I was pretty happy that he is doing it even though he normally only goes to the new mass.
(09-20-2011, 10:11 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: [ -> ]I was going into adoration tonight and ran into one of my friends who doesn't usually follow the traditional calendar too closely, but nonetheless enjoys the TLM and goes to it on occasion. He said "Hey, don't forget the ember days start tomorrow." Needless to say I was pretty happy that he is doing it even though he normally only goes to the new mass.

Ember Days are still part of the NO, but like everything with the NO they are optional and few people pick the right right options. 
Isn't it fast and partial abstinence?
(09-20-2011, 10:14 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it fast and partial abstinence?

Not according to the 1888 missal I am looking at. 
I fast and abstain on every Wednesday anyways. But fill me in, what is Ember Wednesday?
(09-20-2011, 10:14 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it fast and partial abstinence?

Apparently "partial abstinence" was an indult U.S. bishops started granting in the 20th century. Sounds like modernism to me.  

Just say no.  Don't eat meat...or the modernists win.  
(09-20-2011, 10:19 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]I fast and abstain on every Wednesday anyways. But fill me in, what is Ember Wednesday?

Click on the article in my original post.  Ember Days are penitential days that mark the turning of the seasons. This week is the fall Ember week. 
"Don't eat meat or the modernists win."

Is chicken meat?
(09-20-2011, 10:23 PM)Albino_Luciani Wrote: [ -> ]"Don't eat meat or the modernists win."

Is chicken meat?

Yes. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6