FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(09-25-2011, 08:27 PM)Albino_Luciani Wrote: [ -> ]"The Holy Spirit doesn't come down from the heavens to confirm a Pope (be it Pius V or Benedict XVI)."

God comes down from Heaven during every Mass, why not for a conclave? 

He comes down from Heaven (assuming you are referring to transubstantiation, but this could also refer to epliclesis I guess) because He promised so.

But why should he come for a conclave?  It's a matter of discernment.  We have had horrible popes.  Does the Holy Spirit directly intervene every time a bishop assigns a priest as pastor of a parish? 

Christ chose 12 apostles.  One betrayed Him.  One denied Him.

I think the Holy Ghost chooses popes and grants them many graces, including infallibility.  But like Judas, and like Peter, a Pope may sometimes fail to do God's will.  It doesn't show that a choice was not made, but that popes have free will. 
B16 was chosen by the Holy Ghost.
(09-26-2011, 07:49 PM)Doce Me Wrote: [ -> ]Christ chose 12 apostles.  One betrayed Him.  One denied Him.

I think the Holy Ghost chooses popes and grants them many graces, including infallibility.  But like Judas, and like Peter, a Pope may sometimes fail to do God's will.  It doesn't show that a choice was not made, but that popes have free will. 

Why do you think that?  Popes are clearly very fallible BTW, you give examples above.  Only the office of the papacy has infallibility attached to it, not the person, so it's not a personal "grace."

My own thought is that the Holy Ghost chooses a Pope in the same way that God controls everything -- often it's his permissive will.  In a conclave the cardinal electors, if they want to do their own will and not God's, can do so, God gave them free will too.
Holy Ghost.
(09-21-2011, 07:57 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I am very grateful that God gave us this Pope.  I love him and I pray for him every day.  

This
(09-22-2011, 04:17 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]I have read many Catholic books written well before the Council, some written centuries before, that use the term" Holy Spirit" to refer to the Third Person of the Trinity.
It is just hair splitting and not modernism or a threat to the Faith to say Holy Spirit.

True. Even the Litany of the Holy Ghost uses both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

It's on pg 507 here
http://www.saintsworks.net/books/Fr.%20F...%20God.pdf
(09-28-2011, 09:23 PM)Dominus est Wrote: [ -> ]True. Even the Litany of the Holy Ghost uses both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

It's on pg 507 here

Not arguing, but the Litany of the Holy Ghost is not an approved Litany for public recitation. That said, thanks for the link! Another Fr Lasance book, bookmarked!
(09-28-2011, 09:35 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2011, 09:23 PM)Dominus est Wrote: [ -> ]True. Even the Litany of the Holy Ghost uses both Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit.

It's on pg 507 here

Not arguing, but the Litany of the Holy Ghost is not an approved Litany for public recitation. That said, thanks for the link! Another Fr Lasance book, bookmarked!

lol, I didn't say it was. Just pointing out that both were used long before VII.
btw, I think that may be Shin's site
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13