FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mass at home.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who has had a priest offer Mass in their home, and what Form of Mass was it?
A long time ago, we had the priest say the NO at our place. I was just in elementary school at the time.

My life won't really be complete until I've had pontifical solemn Mass celebrated at my house at least once. Should add that to the bucket list.
(09-21-2011, 11:11 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]My life won't really be complete until I've had pontifical solemn Mass celebrated at my house at least once. Should add that to the bucket list.
I was waiting for someone to say that!
The second TLM I ever assisted at was offered in my grandparents home by my SSPX priest uncle.
Yes.  It was in the 80s, it was my parents' idea and it was weird.  Novus Ordo, of course.

They used pita bread for communion.  No idea if that was licit or not.  Does pita bread have yeast?

For an "altar", father offered mass at dad's high-top bar table.  I think they put out the nice table cloth.
(09-21-2011, 11:23 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.  It was in the 80s, it was my parents' idea and it was weird.  Novus Ordo, of course.

They used pita bread for communion.  No idea if that was licit or not.  Does pita bread have yeast?

For an "altar", father offered mass at dad's high-top bar table.  I think they put out the nice table cloth.
I believe it was not only illicit but invalid if pita bread was used, so you really didn't go to Mass at all.
Pita bread does indeed have yeast.
(09-21-2011, 11:25 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2011, 11:23 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.  It was in the 80s, it was my parents' idea and it was weird.  Novus Ordo, of course.

I believe it was not only illicit but invalid if pita bread was used, so you really didn't go to Mass at all.

Easterners validly use leavened bread.  The validity is not bound by the absence of yeast.  The Mass was as valid as any other American Novus Ordo Mass of the 1980s (read that however you like).

I'm pretty sure it was illicit though-- for a number of reasons.
(09-21-2011, 11:29 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2011, 11:25 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]

Easterners validly use leavened bread.  The validity is not bound by the absence of yeast.  The Mass was as valid as any other American Novus Ordo Mass of the 1980s (read that however you like).

I'm pretty sure it was illicit though-- for a number of reasons.
You said it was a NO
That is in the Latin Rite.
Yeast used in the host in the Latin Rite makes it invalid.
Pages: 1 2 3