FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Preparation for Holy Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking through my missal and first the first time noticed a section called "Preparation for Holy Mass", containing antiphons, psalms, a hymn and references to the prayers of Saint Ambrose, Aquinas etc.  I also remember that there were mentions of preparatory prayers in the book of Roman Ritual 1962 on a DVD I have instructing priests in how to say Mass.  So are these the "official" preparatory prayers of the Latin Rite for Mass?  And how are they to be recited?  Would it be all right to do so as if you were saying one of the Hours in private?

By the way, it's the Baronius Press Daily Missal, p. 889 in my missal (not the smaller, genuine leather one, sadly!).
St. Aquinas and St. Bede prayers before Mass are excellent. I have a tendency to pray the St. Bede prayer more often after I have made my other prayers, intentions, etc.

The priest prepatory prayers are for priests as they vest. Cetainly worthy of home study, and to be aware of what is going on.

Now since you asked, I will address the greater preparation for Holy Mass, keeping in mind that time does not often allow, and that no mere mortal can ever claim to be completely prepared.

Read Goffine's Devout Instructions, preferably a version from the turn of the last Century.

Better and more comprehensive by far, is Dom Guaranger's Liturical Year. Read ahead and this will most definitely prepare a soul to assist at Holy Mass.

The next step is an understanding of the Psalms. Preferably through the Divine Office. Pray 1st Vespers the night before, Matins before Mass. Lauds is time allows.

But even if you don't have a copy, get familiar with the entire Psalter as so many prayers in Mass, Ordinary and Propers come from the Psalter.

It depends how far you want to take your preparation. But, I think I put them in the correct order for getting the most out of Mass.

Oh, another excellent source would be a '37 or '45 St. Andrew Missal with Vespers for Sundays and major Feasts. The insight for all Sundays is excellent. You can purchase a new copy from St. Bonaventure Press, believe they are in Montana. Might want to hurry as they recently printed up a new batch and it was unavailable for awhile. They also sell a reprint of The Liturgical Year.

Dominus tecum.
Thanks for the reply Adam.

I understand that there are vesting prayers, but I am asking more about certain Psalms that are in my missal uner the title "Preparation for Holy Mass", I am assuming for use immediately before Mass (although I appreciate your recommendations for the Divine Office, I'm sticking with my Little Office :P).  I am just curious if these are official preparatory prayers to be said immediately before Mass or not.  I would check the FSSP+EWTN DVD to see if I am remembering right, but I quite sure it stated there were Psalms in the 1962 Roman Ritual for a priest to use before Mass and I didn't get an idea that it was connected to the Divine Office.
(09-22-2011, 09:53 AM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking through my missal and first the first time noticed a section called "Preparation for Holy Mass", containing antiphons, psalms, a hymn and references to the prayers of Saint Ambrose, Aquinas etc.  I also remember that there were mentions of preparatory prayers in the book of Roman Ritual 1962 on a DVD I have instructing priests in how to say Mass.  So are these the "official" preparatory prayers of the Latin Rite for Mass?  And how are they to be recited?  Would it be all right to do so as if you were saying one of the Hours in private?

By the way, it's the Baronius Press Daily Missal, p. 889 in my missal (not the smaller, genuine leather one, sadly!).

They are awesome prayers, and it is totally okay to recite them privately like the hours.  They are more intended for the priest, but there is no reason why you can't say them, and they are in the lay missals for a reason.
(09-22-2011, 02:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]They are awesome prayers, and it is totally okay to recite them privately like the hours.  They are more intended for the priest, but there is no reason why you can't say them, and they are in the lay missals for a reason.

I'd love to say them.  I don't know if I would be able to when I attend the EF though.  Church opens at 09:20, and Mass starts at 09:45.  Problem is.. I'm a s server!  I need to get in, get everything ready in the sacristy and then set up the altar.  Barely got time for a few quick prayers before Mass!
(09-22-2011, 03:02 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2011, 02:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]They are awesome prayers, and it is totally okay to recite them privately like the hours.  They are more intended for the priest, but there is no reason why you can't say them, and they are in the lay missals for a reason.

I'd love to say them.  I don't know if I would be able to when I attend the EF though.  Church opens at 09:20, and Mass starts at 09:45.  Problem is.. I'm a s server!  I need to get in, get everything ready in the sacristy and then set up the altar.  Barely got time for a few quick prayers before Mass!

1. Say them at home.
2. Say them on the commute (if you are on a train or something).
3. Say just part of them.
4. Say them on the Church steps.
There are no "official" prayers to be said before or after Mass for the laity. The beautiful prayers in the Missal are proposed but not obligatory or official in the strict sense.

There are many ways to prepare for Mass. My only suggestion is that you should stick with what works for you.

Personally, I prefer to arrive half an hour or fifteen minutes before Mass just to have enough time to be able to leave my worldly preoccupations truly outside the Church. The prayers I say vary but I usually stick with the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory with some personal converse with God following it.
(09-22-2011, 03:03 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]1. Say them at home.

Not an option sadly.  I need to get up early enough to get in my morning office, the Little Crown, general spiritual reading before Mass, get dressed and then commute!

Quote:2. Say them on the commute (if you are on a train or something).

Too distracting trying to pray whilst my mother speeds down a Glasgow motorway asking me every second which exist we take for all we've been going constantly every Sunday this year  :laughing:.

Quote:3. Say just part of them.

I think I need to see a doctor because I'm sure I'm borderline-OCD.  I would feel wrong not doing them all  ;D.

Quote:4. Say them on the Church steps.

Not a very safe option.  For my self or my books!

(09-22-2011, 03:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]There are no "official" prayers to be said before or after Mass for the laity. The beautiful prayers in the Missal are proposed but not obligatory or official in the strict sense.

I know they're not official for the laity.  But are they the "recommended" for clergy and religious?

Quote:Personally, I prefer to arrive half an hour or fifteen minutes before Mass just to have enough time to be able to leave my worldly preoccupations truly outside the Church. The prayers I say vary but I usually stick with the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory with some personal converse with God following it.

I'd like to be able to go an hour before Mass for just sitting silently collecting my self.  The best I can get is half-an-hour at the Ordinary Form where I don't have to be busy around getting everything sorted out.
When you serve, you can try to do what I often try to do: make serving a prayer.  Pray when you put on the cassock and surplice, pray setting up the altar cards, for attention, reverence, a pure heart, pure intentions, and so on.