FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Missa Cantata, two servers, no incense!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help.

I'll be serving my second Missa Cantata tomorrow at Crossraguel Abbey (the first Mass celebrated there in centuries!).  It's going to be a simpler form with just myself and another server (who will be acting MC) and no incense (Historic Scotland wont allow it).  Now I've served at a Missa Cantata before, but I was just a cross-bearer and stood in the corner nice and quiet.  So I really have no clue what I'm doing tomorrow.  I can do a Low Mass no problem, so I've got the basics.  What will I need to add tomorrow?
(09-23-2011, 11:08 AM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]Help.

I'll be serving my second Missa Cantata tomorrow at Crossraguel Abbey (the first Mass celebrated there in centuries!).  It's going to be a simpler form with just myself and another server (who will be acting MC) and no incense (Historic Scotland wont allow it).  Now I've served at a Missa Cantata before, but I was just a cross-bearer and stood in the corner nice and quiet.  So I really have no clue what I'm doing tomorrow.  I can do a Low Mass no problem, so I've got the basics.  What will I need to add tomorrow?

It will really not be that different if there is no incense.  When the priest chants a verse, respond with chanting.  E.g., chant "et cum spiritu tuo," "dignum et justum est," and so on.  If the other server is more experienced, follow his lead as to when to sit and stand.

There is a Gospel procession, so you and the other server should each carry the acolyte candles in front of the altar, genuflect and go to the gospel side for the priest to chant the Gospel.  Sometimes before this, one of you will have to move the missal in the usual way.

No prayers after low Mass.

If the priest sits after reciting certain parts but while the choir is still singing (e.g. the Creed, if there is one tomorrow) you can also sit.  The MC will help the priest with the biretta at these times.

My #1 suggestion is to watch a few youtube videos of Sung Masses.  Ignore the parts with incense.  Almost all of them will have more than 2 servers, so you'll have to figure out how to make sure the essential things are done by you and your fellow server.
Yes, the other server is much more experienced than I (he teaches priests to celebrate the Mass).  He should have been able to tell me what's what on the way down, but he's got the altar in his car so I wont be able to go with him.

Thanks for the tips though.
(09-23-2011, 11:16 AM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the other server is much more experienced than I (he teaches priests to celebrate the Mass).  He should have been able to tell me what's what on the way down, but he's got the altar in his car so I wont be able to go with him.

Thanks for the tips though.

In that case, do what I said, but also relax and remember he will cue you in for everything :-).