FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Which language do you use when praying the Holy Rosary?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
If you use English, would you prefer to pray in Latin? Can a self-respecting traditional Catholic pray the Holy Rosary in anything other than Latin? Illiterate peasants used to (there's a beautiful scene in one of my favourite films showing this), so is there really any excuse for us?

EDITED TO ADD:

Text and recordings of the individual prayers in Latin.
(09-25-2011, 03:58 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]Can a self-respecting traditional Catholic pray the Holy Rosary in anything other than Latin?

Either the answer is yes, or I am not a self-respecting Catholic.
latin
i have prayed it in ASL, as well
sip
It would depend on where I am. If in Germany, as an Englishman I'd pray in Latin so Catholic unity may be observed with my brethren. When by myself, I pray it in the language which most allows me to understand what I am saying and to speak with earnestness. I do not speak earnestly in Latin, so it's English... Smile We are addressing real persons, real glorified humans and angels and God our Lord, not reciting poetry to the air or formulae.
(09-25-2011, 04:04 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]latin
i have prayed it in ASL, as well
sip

lol

Serious?
Vernacular.  Latin as the language of prayer should only be observed in the official prayers of the Church (Mass and Divine Office, including the smaller offices).  However, Laetare makes a good point, so I would happily pray my rosary in Latin with Catholics in Germany, or Spain etc.
yes mythmandandylion serious
sip
(09-25-2011, 04:13 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]yes mythmandandylion serious
sip

Woo-hoo, Mithrandylan can add another line to his sig!

I pray the Rosary (every day and twice on Sunday) in English only. I think it's important to understand what you're saying, and English is the only language where that works for me.
Sometimes I pray it in Latin and sometimes in English.  The different languages emphasize different aspects of it.
I voted Latin, with a caveat. Since I have neither the Credo nor the Fatima Prayer memorised in Latin, I say those in English. I always say the Pater, Ave and Gloria in Latin whether in the Rosary or outside of it.

And I'm trying to learn to say it in French as well. Anybody got a link to an MP3 I can download?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7