FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interesting look into evangelical NO Psychology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friends :hello!:

I want to see your opinions on this 24-page PDF letter from a priest in our entirely NO archdiocese (not one TLM for miles around). I find his attitude very interesting - putting down pastoral/evangelical practices in the Church "in the last 50 years" as "essentially unchanged" since before Vatican II, and this is why we're failing so hard. He gets into theological reasons after the introduction, and I find this a very fascinating look into NO psychology. To see how they explain away losses in attendance in a way that doesn't tie to loss of tradition, is very twisty-turny.

http://www.saintbenedict.ca/?s=pastoral+care+of+the+sacraments&search=Search

First Paragraph (the whole thing is there in PDF after the second paragraph)

"Over the last fifty years our society has witnessed what can arguably be called the most accelerated social change in human history. As we have moved through several paradigm shifts in the last generation the pastoral practice of the Catholic Church in Western Civilization remains, for the most part, unchanged from what existed prior to this state of flux. In the last decade, the result of this failure to adapt and recognize what the Second Vatican Council referred to as “the signs of the times” is finally becoming evident. As a result, Church leaders are openly calling for deep change in our pastoral methods and courage to implement new models of faith formation, discipleship and Christian living."

He calls for a "new Pentecost", a "personal encounter with Jesus Christ", and the "empowerment of the Holy Spirit". Just as an aside, I've met our Archbishop many times in the last year, sometimes daily, and he is a bureaucrat entirely. It's somewhat farcical for a man who hides his clerical collar behind a scarf and dresses like your old granddad, to "call" all Catholics to new evangelisation and living the Gospel.

This is all a bad joke or dream or nightmare, surely? I can't get away from the lesbian gay feminist liberal ideal... I'll have to move out of this entire province or I'll go mad.

Any opinions or observations or insights into his mindset? :)
Here are a few parts in the opening of the theological part:

"Traditional Catholic sacramental theology has been disproportionately influenced by the counter-Reformation theology and subsequent tridentine definitions."

"Post-Tridentine sacramental theology is built upon a reaction to the theology of the Reformers. These perspectives continue to shape our perception and experience of the sacraments to this day, particularly the dogmatic definition that Sacraments work ex opere operato, and the consequence disproportionate stress on the concept of validity of the sacraments, as opposed to their fruitfulness."

"Another Tridentine focus on how the the sacraments communicate sanctifying grace and bring about ontological change (with regard to Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders) has led to a de-emphasis on the existential dimension of the sacraments" (!!!!!) "especially with regard to the ecclesial, communal dimension. Lastly, the predominance of more than fifteen centuries of infant baptism has also had adverse effects on how the sacraments are experienced."

"The practice of infant baptism, although an ancient one, has accelerated the negative impact of post-Tridentine sacramental theology." !!!!!!!!! ANATHEMA?

Anyone want to make up a list of saints who were baptised as infants?

LOL, "the issue of sacramental validity has become abstracted from actual human experience and the ontological dimension holds sway over the existential". Does he think the oldies in his parish just won't understand his big words? We're not subjectivists...
(09-26-2011, 06:20 PM)Laetare Wrote: [ -> ]Here are a few parts in the opening of the theological part:

"Traditional Catholic sacramental theology has been disproportionately influenced by the counter-Reformation theology and subsequent tridentine definitions."

"Post-Tridentine sacramental theology is built upon a reaction to the theology of the Reformers. These perspectives continue to shape our perception and experience of the sacraments to this day, particularly the dogmatic definition that Sacraments work ex opere operato, and the consequence disproportionate stress on the concept of validity of the sacraments, as opposed to their fruitfulness."

"Another Tridentine focus on how the the sacraments communicate sanctifying grace and bring about ontological change (with regard to Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders) has led to a de-emphasis on the existential dimension of the sacraments" (!!!!!) "especially with regard to the ecclesial, communal dimension. Lastly, the predominance of more than fifteen centuries of infant baptism has also had adverse effects on how the sacraments are experienced."

Anyone want to make up a list of saints who were baptised as infants?

That is just so much head-in-the-sand crap that I don't even know what to say.

They are not just bureaucrats, they are bad bureacrats.  A good one should be able to look at the thriving trad orders and say, "we'll just do that."  They are ideologues.
Quote:the predominance of more than fifteen centuries of infant baptism has also had adverse effects on how the sacraments are experienced.

[Image: 923facepalm.gif]

Perhaps you should drop him a note asking whether the predominance of dreadful seminary formation for five decades has had adverse effects on how priestly ministry is experienced.
Wow, please read the sections in the PDF 2-3 pages in where he totally deconstructs Infant Baptism.

I seriously want to write a Thomistic 123-sed contra-respondeo-123 against this. This is despicable tearing down of ancient beliefs of the saving power of God's holy sacraments.
I found it interesting to read the parish explanation of why they baptise children:

[Image: childrenbaptism.jpg]

I'm sensing something may be missing here.
I ache for you, but many of us are in like situations. Pray for Faithful Priests and Bishops and keep yourself pure in your Faith. This neo-protestant crap will be short lived....i hope and Pray. :pray:
(09-26-2011, 07:06 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: [ -> ]I found it interesting to read the parish explanation of why they baptise children:

[Image: childrenbaptism.jpg]

I'm sensing something may be missing here.
Like the cleansing of original sin?