FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict XVI to retire next April, 2012?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(09-28-2011, 12:24 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2011, 12:18 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Pope St Celestine V retired after an absolutely calamitous Papacy in 1294 and Pope Gregory XII resigned in 1415 as part of a compromise to end the Great Schism.

Compromise with whom, the Patriarch of Constantinople?

I've actually never heard this before.

The Great Western Schism. At that point, IIRC, we had three different Popes running around, Gregory and two anti-Popes. It got very confusing! Gregory authorised the election of a new Pope to replace all three and then resigned
(09-28-2011, 12:27 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]The Great Western Schism. At that point, IIRC, we had three different Popes running around, Gregory and two anti-Popes. It got very confusing! Gregory authorised the election of a new Pope to replace all three and then resigned

Ahh, I thought you were talking about some sort of deal made with the East just prior to the Council of Florence.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know much about that situation with the multiple anti-popes either, but at least he fixed it.
(09-27-2011, 11:06 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: [ -> ]Can/do Popes retire? Have they in history?
They can "abdicate" but not "retire".
(09-28-2011, 01:06 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2011, 11:06 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: [ -> ]Can/do Popes retire? Have they in history?
They can "abdicate" but not "retire".

Semantics, Dan. They have usually 'retired' to a monastery after 'abdicating'. :)

I can't imagine why a pope couldn't resign as any other bishop can. In fact IIRC all Catholic bishops are required to submit their resignation when they reach a certain age. I think there's a really good reason popes have not resigned very often in history and that has to do with the tremendous temporal power they have enjoyed at times. Think about it; how often do emperors and monarchs resign?
(09-28-2011, 02:49 PM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]In fact IIRC all Catholic bishops are required to submit their resignation when they reach a certain age.

True, but only since Vatican II and totally untraditional. A bishop used to be 'married' to his diocese, just as a pastor was 'married' to his parish. In the bishop's case, there might be a minor diocese or two on the way, whereas with a pastor, he usually stayed in his first appointment 'til death, but it took the Vatican 'reforms' to introduce the idea of retirement and switching people around.
I hope he doesn't retire :(
Unbelievable Jeff!
How could this have been known about six months in advance?!?!
(12-21-2013, 03:59 PM)LiberaNosIesu Wrote: [ -> ]Unbelievable Jeff!
How could this have been known about six months in advance?!?!

:'( :((
There is nothing surprising about that speculation, which, in any event, was inaccurate as to the timing.
'
Pope Benedict had been quoted about the appropriateness of a papal resignation under certain circumstances.  As a consequence, there was speculation that he himself would quite possibly resign.
Pages: 1 2 3