FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bugnini quote.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone ever heard his quote from Bugnini?
Quote:We are going to make an Ecumenical Mass as we have made an Ecumenical Bible.

I saw it on the SSPX website and just wanted to know if anyone else had heard it before.
No, I have not. Do you have it in context? (Not that it would be too redeeming, but I would like to know what would precipitate such an admission.)
I'm afraid I don't. Archbishop Lefebvre said it in an interview. Here's that exchange if it helps:
Quote:Q. Who were these Protestants?

Archbishop Lefebvre: They were Protestant ministers representing different Protestant denominations who were called by Rome to participate in the reform of our Liturgy which shows clearly that there was a purpose to all this. They were Dr. George, Canon Jasper, Dr. Sheperd, Dr. Smith, Dr. Koneth and Dr. Thurian. Msgr. Bugnini did not hide this purpose. He spelled it out very clearly. He said, “We are going to make an Ecumenical Mass as we have made an Ecumenical Bible."

All this is very dangerous because it is our faith that is attacked. When a Protestant celebrates the same Mass as we do, he interprets the text in a different way because his faith is different. Therefore, it is an ambiguous Mass. It is an equivocal Mass. It is no longer a Catholic Mass.

I haven't found that Bugnini quote anywhere other than the interview with Archbishop Lefebvre or other sites that quote him but there are many others that point to Bugnini nefariously.

“We must strip from our Catholic prayers and from the Catholic liturgy everything which can be the shadow of a stumbling block for our separated brethren that is for the Prostestants.”  - Archbishop Annibale Bugnini, main author of the New Mass, L'Osservatore Romano, March 19, 1965
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/mode...gnini.html

Bishop Salvador L. Lazo wrote this in a May 21, 1998 letter to John Paul II, "The Novus Ordo Missae was a concoction of Monsignor Annibale Bugnini. Six Protestant ministers helped Monsignor Bugnini in fabricating it. The innovators saw to it that no Catholic dogmas offensive to Protestant ears were left in the prayers. They deleted all that expressed the Catholic dogmas fully and replaced them with very ambiguous Protestantizing and heretical things. They even changed the form of the consecration given by Jesus Christ. With these modifications, the new rite of the Mass became more Protestant than Catholic." ... "The process is this: From Catholicism To Protestantism; From Protestantism To Modernism; From Modernism To Atheism."
http://olrl.org/new_mass/lazolet.shtml

"The following conference was given by Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre at Montreal, Canada in 1982. It demonstrates by personal experience the tragic corruption of modernism right from the time of Pope Pius XI. The Archbishop describes the extraordinary influence of Monsignor Annibale Bugnini in the framing of the New Mass and how his unprecedented daring brought about the "approval" of this protestantized liturgy. We present it to our readers to allow them to share a more personal viewpoint of the Archbishop's battle for the Church and for the Faith."
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/mode...ernism.htm
(09-27-2011, 12:05 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone ever heard his quote from Bugnini?
Quote:We are going to make an Ecumenical Mass as we have made an Ecumenical Bible.

I saw it on the SSPX website and just wanted to know if anyone else had heard it before.

Not this exact quote. Abp. Lefebvre was probably paraphrasing the Osservatore Romano quote, which you can find in Work of Human Hands, available for $24.95 from…
Just kidding!

Here is it:

"The love for souls and the desire to ease in every way the path of union for separated brothers led the Church to make these difficult sacrifices, removing any stumbling block that could even slightly present an obstacle or a cause for discomfort."

“E tuttavia l’amore delle anime e il desiderio di agevolare in ogni modo il cammino dell’unione ai fratelli separati, rimovendo ogni pietra che possa consituire pur lontanamente un inciampo o motivo di disagio, hanno indotto la Chiesa anche a questi penosi sacrificii.” A. Bugnini, “Ritocchi ad Alcune ‘Preghiere Solenni’ del Venerdì Santo,” L’Osservatore  Romano, 19 March 1965, 6.
Father! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Didn't Bugnini also boast something to the effect of "the Roman Rite has been destroyed"?
(09-29-2011, 09:06 PM)AdOrientem Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't Bugnini also boast something to the effect of "the Roman Rite has been destroyed"?

No that was Fr Joseph Gelineau, SJ, (one of the periti on the Liturgy) who is said to have gleefully remarked, when the NOM was promulgated, 'The Roman Rite, as we have known it, has been destroyed'!
(09-29-2011, 09:06 PM)AdOrientem Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't Bugnini also boast something to the effect of "the Roman Rite has been destroyed"?

He labeled the liturgical changes "a major conquest of the Catholic Church."
Pages: 1 2