FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict's quote on Assisi III...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What do you all think?

"I understand quite well" - Benedict XVI wrote on March 4, 2011 - "your concern regarding the participation at the Assisi meeting. However, this commemoration would have to have been celebrated in some way and, all things considered, it seemed to me that the best thing would be for me to personally go there being thus able to determine the direction of it all. I will nevertheless do everything in order that a syncretistic or relativistic interpretation of the event will be impossible and so that what will remain is that I will always believe and confess that which I had called to the attention of the Church with [the Declaration] 'Dominus Iesus'."

It sounds like he wishes he didn't have to go but feels obliged since JPII started it..and he's going to try to make the best of it..
(10-05-2011, 05:31 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: [ -> ]What do you all think?

"I understand quite well" - Benedict XVI wrote on March 4, 2011 - "your concern regarding the participation at the Assisi meeting. However, this commemoration would have to have been celebrated in some way and, all things considered, it seemed to me that the best thing would be for me to personally go there being thus able to determine the direction of it all. I will nevertheless do everything in order that a syncretistic or relativistic interpretation of the event will be impossible and so that what will remain is that I will always believe and confess that which I had called to the attention of the Church with [the Declaration] 'Dominus Iesus'."

Why? Why would it "have to have been celebrated in some way"? It could be entirely ignored.

And how do you celebrate a syncretistic and relativistic event without celebrating it - that is, without lauding it? The scandals of Assisi I & II demand clear, unambiguous condemnation and repentance, not celebration. Will there be any such condemnation and repentance? Will there be any condemnation and repentance at all? Unlikely. But there will be lots of nuance, plenty of equivocation. Count on it.

A good page:

http://www.sspx.org/news/assisi_iii/assisi_iii.htm

Pope Pius XI, Mortalium animos:

"Assured that there exist few men who are entirely devoid of the religious sense, they seem to ground on this belief a hope that all nations, while differing indeed in religious matters, may yet without great difficulty be brought to fraternal agreement on certain points of doctrine which will form a common basis of the spiritual life. With this object, congresses, meetings, and addresses are arranged, attended by a large concourse of hearers, where all without distinction, unbelievers of every kind as well as Christians, even those who unhappily have rejected Christ and denied His divine nature or mission, are invited to join in the discussion." (§2)

Follows immediately afterwards the pope’s condemnation of "the pan-christians", whose "fair and alluring words cloak a most grave error, subversive of the foundations of the Catholic Faith" (§3):

"Such efforts can meet with no kind of approval among Catholics. They presuppose the erroneous view that all religions are more or less good and praiseworthy (this is the error of indifferentism), inasmuch as all give expression, under various forms, to that innate sense which leads men to God and to the obedient acknowledgment of His rule. Those who hold such a view are not only in error; they distort the true idea of religion, and thus reject it, falling gradually into naturalism and atheism. To favor this opinion, and to encourage such undertakings is tantamount to abandoning the religion revealed by God." (§2)

Well at least Pope Benedict acknowledged that there was a concern about him going to Assisi.  Maybe he should wear his Papal Tiara?  If he did it would convey that he thinks that a "syncretistic or relativistic interpretation of the event will be impossible".  He did say that he would do "everything in order" to show this.
(10-05-2011, 06:27 PM)Jackson K. Eskew Wrote: [ -> ]Why? Why would it "have to have been celebrated in some way"? It could be entirely ignored.

This! He's the Pope, for God's sake! He is the Supreme Legislator of the Church and cannot be bound in matters not of Faith and Morals by any of his predecessors! Just ignore I & II and try to forget what abominations they were!
(10-05-2011, 10:47 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Well at least Pope Benedict acknowledged that there was a concern about him going to Assisi.  Maybe he should wear his Papal Tiara?  If he did it would convey that he thinks that a "syncretistic or relativistic interpretation of the event will be impossible".  He did say that he would do "everything in order" to show this.

His very presence will be yet another scandal and will only sow yet more confusion. The way to reject syncretism and relativism here would be to refuse to show up. This would be infinitely more eloquent than anything he'll say at the event.
(10-05-2011, 10:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2011, 06:27 PM)Jackson K. Eskew Wrote: [ -> ]Why? Why would it "have to have been celebrated in some way"? It could be entirely ignored.

This! He's the Pope, for God's sake! He is the Supreme Legislator of the Church and cannot be bound in matters not of Faith and Morals by any of his predecessors! Just ignore I & II and try to forget what abominations they were!

Remember when in March 2000 Pope John Paul II apologized for everything under the sun?  Maybe instead of going to Assisi III, Pope Benedict should apologize for Assisi I and II (and for Vatican II, if he's feeling ambitious).  :laughing:
(10-05-2011, 11:11 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]Remember when in March 2000 Pope John Paul II apologized for everything under the sun?  Maybe instead of going to Assisi III, Pope Benedict should apologize for Assisi I and II (and for Vatican II, if he's feeling ambitious).  :laughing:

Endless apologies and grovelling to everyone under the sun - except for those who rightly argued that the traditional Mass had never been abrogated. Incredible!
Pope Benedict Wrote:the best thing would be for me to personally go there being thus able to determine the direction of it all

Well maybe he's got a special speech planned for the infidels, heretics, and schismatics. I remember one pope's speech:

"Do penance, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
If there is no absolute truth just synthesis and anti-synthesis then in his relativistic mind there is nothing absolutely wrong either. It would be 'wrong' not to celebrate it and 'wrong' to turn it into a pan religious orgy of cuddles.

The real problem is that this man has no fire in his belly. He is a pragmatist, a caretaker Pope, and a compromiser par excellence.
Pages: 1 2 3