FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Weeping with tears of joy...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This hymn literally makes me cry whenever I hear or sing it, thinking about our Lord's Sacrifice for us and His love for us as well.

Don't think it's a Catholic one and it's performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but it is truly sublime nonetheless!!

My favorite verses are the last two:

Crown Him the Lord of Peace,
Whose power a scepter sways,
From pole to pole, that wars may cease,
And all be prayers and praise.
His reign shall know no end,
And 'round His pierced feet,
Fair flowers of paradise extend,
Their fragrance ever sweet.

Crown Him the Lord of Love,
Behold His hands and side,
Those wounds yet visible above,
In beauty glorified.
All hail, Redeemer, hail!
For Thou hast died for me!
Thy praise and glory shall not fail,
Throughout eternity.
"Crown Him with Many Crowns" was written in 1851 by Matthew Bridges who was an Anglican that later converted to Catholicism.  An Anglican clergyman became concerned that his protestant congregation was singing a hymn that sounded so Catholic, so he added some more protestant sounding verses...I think altogether between the two composers there are 12 stanzas.

But it is truly wonderful, and a Catholic can sing the original verses with no problem.  One of my all time favorites that I can still love after my conversion  :)
(10-05-2011, 07:01 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: [ -> ]One of my all time favorites that I can still love after my conversion  :)

I'm with you, Iona.  I'd never heard this hymn until I went through my "Baptist phase" in college, even though I was brought up Episcopalian.  It's been probably my most favorite hymn ever since, even more so since I converted to Catholicism.

To me, the verses I quoted as my favorites sound very Catholic.