FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Spiritual Maxims of St Therese of Lisieux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Little Flower shows us the Path to sanctity through her "Little Way"

In her Own Words

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40888098/St%20Th...Maxims.pdf
(10-05-2011, 11:47 PM)sky1 Wrote: [ -> ]The Little Flower shows us the Path to sanctity through her "Little Way"

In her Own Words

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40888098/St%20Th...Maxims.pdf

Speaking of St. Therese, she apparently loved this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Present-World-Mysteries-Future-Life/dp/1933184388/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IO5GEROM9QONZ&colid=35BOZVQDLDPMR

Ever read it?
I read a good portion of it, and have tried on other occasions to read other stuff of hers and I'm left kind of cold by it all.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what the attraction is? 

I don't want to offend anyone's preferences for the things that work for them. But I personally find something disturbing about reading these things and it's  not a good disturbing.  I've tried to write it out about 3 times, but I think it best to read what other people think and absorb that before I make a conclusion or hold to one publicly. 
(10-06-2011, 12:35 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I personally find something disturbing about reading these things and it's  not a good disturbing.  I've tried to write it out about 3 times, but I think it best to read what other people think and absorb that before I make a conclusion or hold to one publicly. 

The very first one bothers me. It sounds awfully presumptuous, rather like her words to Abbé Bellière: "and I, with my way, will do more than you, so I hope that one day Jesus will make you walk by the same way as me". Well, jeez.
At my old Parish I had a friend that was obsessed with this Saint, when I started to return to Paganism she gave me her material to read...

In all honesty the Little Flower's writings reminded me of the snobby, stuck-up kids in an all Baptist Youth Group back in High School. Highly egotistical, childish (not to be confused with child like) and utterly full of there piety.
Pope St. Pius X called her "the greatest saint of modern times"

There is nothing self-seeking or egoistical about St Therese.....people should look at themselves and see if they are willing to suffer one-hundredth of the pain and trials that she underwent for souls, priests and the Church. She bore great spiritual, mental and physical trials all at once during the last few years of her illness.

It is true that she did say things like: "You are taking care of a saint here"  and other phrases hinting of her future fame to her sisters while ill, together with "My way is a sure and perfect way" to her novices. These things seem contrary to humility, but we must remember that humility is truth. She was chosen and especially enlightened by God to be a model of sanctity for modern times. The Blessed Virgin herself was the most humble of creatures, and yet she said "All generations shall call me blessed" in her Magnificat.

And have we not the testimony of so many Popes, theologians and spiritual writers who have said that her way of sanctity was a true and tested path? See what Dom Gueranger OSB says: "The Way of Spiritual Childhood stresses again that love & not great outward achievement is the fulfilling of the law...Beneath St Therese's childlike phrasing the saint has portrayed a life which calls for an unflagging generousity & courage which, united with the humility & confidence of a little child, is heroic indeed. Benedict XV has called her way "the secret of sanctity."

And again,

‎"Others have walked the same path to heaven before St Teresa of Liseux, but to her it has been given to show it once more to a self-sufficient, sophisticated world, and that in such wise that, to men of good will, it may be a sure and safe highway wherein even the foolish cannot err."

Shall we say that she was childish when so many of her other writings, and above all, her own actions, testified to her desire of not seeking herself as much as she could out of love of Jesus?

This is an excellent sermon that should clear up any misconceptions: http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/201104...-Arms.html
She is in my top five favorite saints listed on my profile, along with Francis de Sales, Francis of Assisi, Vincent de Paul and John the Baptist. You don't have to be attracted to her spirituality or her writings, it's really nothing to feel guilty about. But of course I'll try to get you to change your mind LOL

Like Francis of Assisi, Therese changed the face of the church and how we think about sainthood. Although her “Little Way” isn't “new” (it's as old as the Gospel) –  the way she expressed it, is. She understood that love and abandonment is the way to perfection and a straight elevator to heaven (God) – no stops on the floors of purgatory.

St. Therese Wrote:I understand so well that it is only love that can make us pleasing to God..... and this road is the abandonment of the little child who sleeps without fear in his Father's arms....“Whoever is a little one, let him come to me.” The Prophet Isaiah reveals that on that last day: “the Lord will lead his flocks into pastures, he will gather together the little lambs and will press them to his bosom, and as though all these promises were not enough, the same prophet, whose inspired glance was already plunged into the eternal depths, cried out in the Lord's name: “ As a mother caresses her child, so will I comfort you; I will carry you on my bosom, and I shall rock you on my knees.”.... After language like this, there is nothing to do but be silent and weep with gratitude and love! Ah, if all weak and imperfect souls felt what the littlest of all souls feel, the soul of your little Therese, not one would despair of reaching the summit of the mountain of love, since Jesus does not ask for great actions, but only abandonment and love.”

Therese had it right. She doesn't allow for a minimalist approach to God.. We don't say “I'll be lucky if I scoot past purgatory.” Our aim is to run head long into the arms of Jesus, like a lost child runs into the arms of his mother, the thought that we might be punished for wandering off is non-existent. Loving God for God's sake melts away all fear.

The reason some people shy away from Little Therese is because the image of God as a father rocking the baby on his knees is too close for comfort. We say it is too saccharine, we say we are in awe of God's majesty, but we don't want to become “that close.” We are still afraid because we still hold on to sin. Then we become oddly “comfortable” in our state of fear, because judgment is on our minds, yet we do nothing to change what we are suppose to change.

St. John Wrote:God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this is love brought to perfection in us, that we may have confidence on day of judgment... There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out all fear because fear has to do with punishment, and so one who fears is not yet perfected in love. We love because he first loved us...”. (1 John 4: 16-20).

This kind of love is NOT presumption! It's complete abandonment and trust. Someone here once described people on the road to heaven: Some are walking forward, toward and facing Jesus. Others are walking backwards, away from hell. They are both headed in the same direction, but one is motivated by fear, and the other by love.

At some point, those walking backwards are going to have to turn around on their journey. They are going to have to focus on the God who “loved us so much that he gave his only begotten son” – instead of focusing on hell and fear.  When I was young, I used to walk backward. St. Therese's “Little Way” - as well as the devotion to the Sacred Heart – helped me to turn around on that road when I was about 22 years old. And I've never looked back.
(10-06-2011, 05:36 AM)AuberonDraenenWen Wrote: [ -> ]At my old Parish I had a friend that was obsessed with this Saint, when I started to return to Paganism she gave me her material to read...

In all honesty the Little Flower's writings reminded me of the snobby, stuck-up kids in an all Baptist Youth Group back in High School. Highly egotistical, childish (not to be confused with child like) and utterly full of there piety.

Dude...
I'm surprised to see that a Saint is being described so negatively.  ??? Since St Therese was canonized due to miracles of intercession, it means she *is* a Saint in Heaven.

well St Therese just happens to be probably my favourite Saint :) she has helped me many times with her prayers. She wasn't proud. It's not humility to say "oh I hope I'll just sneak into Purgatory..." - it's humility to trust in God despite one's weakness. :) St Therese said, that she would like to be a Saint but there is such a distance between her and the Saints that she felt this is almost impossible.. but she still believed that all things are possible with God. Her path to holiness was simply letting God bring her to holiness, so it's something that depended on His strength, not on hers. So she wasn't proud.. she just trusted God a lot, which is not wrong.

God bless
Pages: 1 2 3 4