FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: In what circle of Hell does "a certain Martin Luther" belong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
For those of you who may be familiar with the Divine Comedy and of course the "Inferno" I would like your opinion as to what circle does he go in. Also if you have any other recommendations as to other "reformers" and their place in "the dark world."

I know of you think that the obvious place would be the 6th circle which is just inside the City of Dis, however Muhammad is in the 8th along with Ali. Remember of course that islam was and in some circles is still considered a heresy.
How do we know he's in Hell?
(10-06-2011, 06:44 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]How do we know he's in Hell?

For the sake of this exercise let us assume that he is.  ;)
(10-06-2011, 06:47 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe I'm a little stiff, but I'm not comfortable with that at all.  Sorry.
(10-06-2011, 06:50 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2011, 06:47 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe I'm a little stiff, but I'm not comfortable with that at all.  Sorry.

Okay fair enough, any actual takers on this?
I'm not sure where in hell he might be in terms of Dante's vision. Do you have a certain circle you think he might be in based on your understanding of the nature of Luther's heresy? All I know is I think he is somewhere in hell unless he made a serious confession prior to his death. The evil tree of heresy he planted is still bearing bitter and noxious fruit but I suppose it is my duty as a Catholic to hope and pray that he did make a good confession and at least got time in purgatory but I'm doubtful.
For every soul he steals from God, he goes down another ring.  Just my .02
This is a pretty disturbed question to ask.
Let's be honest: if Martin Luther is in heaven we're all taking this faith stuff way too seriously...
Dante's model of the inferno has been a worthwhile model of hell for centuries of pious Catholics.

I think there's a BIG difference in saying that Luther is absolutely in hell (which is the sin of despair) and saying where in Dante's model is appropriate for sinners such as Luther (which is a hypothetical speculation).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13