FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St. Faustina, Doctor of the Church?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

By Anita S. Bourdin

KRAKOW, Poland, OCT. 4, 2011 (Zenit.org).- St. Faustina Kowalska may become the fourth woman doctor of the Church.
Cardinals and bishops gathered in Krakow-Lagiewniki for the 2nd World Congress of Divine Mercy have sent a letter to Benedict XVI requesting this recognition.
This news was published live last Sunday by Radio Esperance, which is transmitting the conference through its stations, through WorldSpace satellite and through the Internet.
Polish St. Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938) would join Spanish Carmelite Teresa of Avila, Italian Dominican Catherine of Siena, and French Carmelite Thérèse of Lisieux, the only three women recognized as doctors.
After praying the Angelus in St. Peter's Square last Sunday, Benedict XVI addressed a message to the close to 2,000 participants in the congress, making reference to its topic.
"Dearly beloved, reinforce your trust in the Lord through common reflection and prayer so that you will take effectively to the world the joyful message that 'mercy is the source of hope,'" he exhorted.
Following the message was the announcement of an Italian-language letter with signatories including some of the prelates present, among them Cardinals Stanisław Dziwisz, Franciszek Macharski, Stanisław Ryłko, Audrys Juozas Backis, Philippe Xavier Barbarin, Christoph Schönborn, and Joseph Zen.
These prelates thanked Pope Benedict XVI for the beatification of the "Servant of Mercy" John Paul II.
And they added a request: that he allow the opening of the cause to recognize St. Faustina as a doctor, to promote the message of Divine Mercy worldwide.
Cardinal Dziwisz announced that participants in the congress would be invited to sign the petition in favor of the recognition.
Just last August, Benedict XVI bestowed the honor of doctor of the Church on St. John of Avila, who will become the Church's 34th doctor.
St. John of Avila -- not to be confused with St. John of the Cross, who was St. Teresa of Avila's partner in reforming the Carmelites -- is known as the Apostle of Andalusia. He is the patron of Spanish diocesan clergy.
--- --- ---

http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-33593

On ZENIT's Web page:
More information on the Divine Mercy congress: www.zenit.org/article-32980?l=english

This does not seem like a good idea to me.  She was just canonized in 2000.  It seems that the Church is rushing things a lot. 

I wish they had capped the list of Doctors of the Church at 33 since Christ lived to be 33.  It's been 33 since St. Therese of Lisieux was named a Doctor of the Church in 1997.

St. John of Avila will be # 34.  I don't know how many Pope John Paul II added but definitely all three of the women who are Doctors (Ste. Therese, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila.)  No, I was mistaken, looked them up and Pope Paul XVI named Teresa of Avila and St. Catherine of Siena Doctors of the Church in 1970, on different dates.  Pope JP II only named St. Therese of Lisieux. I want to find a list of all the Doctors, and when they were named, to see how long it took to get the first 30.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors_of_...lic_Church

And I think it's an absolutely horrible idea! I know of no Doctor of the Church whose works were placed on the Index!
(10-07-2011, 02:03 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]And I think it's an absolutely horrible idea! I know of no Doctor of the Church whose works were placed on the Index!

This.

Brick by brick, I suppose.

If I recall correctly, St. Faustina was only partially literate.  To elevate her to level of Doctor of the Church would be to cheapen the many already declared.

This is typical modernism: Emotion trumps basic sense and to highen emotion, novelty is required.  Like a drug addict, modernists need more hits of 'smack' or as Bishop Williamson has called it 'spiritual junkfood.' 

All of this concophany of stuff is to give different groups some hit of temporary, cheap relief.  Want some hand waving and imaginary (or worse) babbling?  You got it!  Desire a syncretic Aztec-Saint spiritual inculturation?  No problem!  Want an illiterate Sister whose works when originally transcribed were placed in the Index to be declared a Doctor of the Church, to be on par with St. Thomas Aquinas?  Let's do it!  And while we're at it, let's pray with, I mean be with while praying, any number of schismatics, infidels, and pagans!

And then it's our turn.  They tell us we can have the Traditional Latin Mass - as long as we stick to our cell and leave the pagans, infidels, apostates, et. al. alone to their own devices.  This is the failure of most conservatives: They think the hierarchy is with us, when in fact it is given to modernistic Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis views on everything.  We have been permitted the TLM, and the SSPX possibly being declared what we already know it to be, only because in their minds the end goal for the Church is to simply declare united everyone on Earth without a formal or corporate conversion.

Does anyone have the quote from Pope Benedict on the 'new concept' of conversion, that we have to stop thinking of conversion as a formal change but rather some amorphous acknowledgement of a universal Church?
Heh, the shortest wait before Vatican II for a Doctor was St. Alphonsus, died 1696, given the doctorate in 1871. Now, it's just anything you please!
More of the same is all. Pope John Paul II had to re-write her stuff, to promote her devotion, next she's a Doctor.  I'm probably a cynic but it seems it's another attempt to keep Fatima in the past.

tim
(10-07-2011, 02:03 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors_of_...lic_Church

And I think it's an absolutely horrible idea! I know of no Doctor of the Church whose works were placed on the Index!

dang, you're good. only 5 minutes between my question and your reply.  :)

good point about the index.

and i believe that St. Therese had been dead a century before she was named a Doctor.

(10-07-2011, 07:14 AM)kingtheoden Wrote: [ -> ]Brick by brick, I suppose.

If I recall correctly, St. Faustina was only partially literate.  To elevate her to level of Doctor of the Church would be to cheapen the many already declared.

This is typical modernism: Emotion trumps basic sense and to highen emotion, novelty is required.  Like a drug addict, modernists need more hits of 'smack' or as Bishop Williamson has called it 'spiritual junkfood.' 

All of this concophany of stuff is to give different groups some hit of temporary, cheap relief.  Want some hand waving and imaginary (or worse) babbling?  You got it!  Desire a syncretic Aztec-Saint spiritual inculturation?  No problem!  Want an illiterate Sister whose works when originally transcribed were placed in the Index to be declared a Doctor of the Church, to be on par with St. Thomas Aquinas?  Let's do it!  And while we're at it, let's pray with, I mean be with while praying, any number of schismatics, infidels, and pagans!

And then it's our turn.  They tell us we can have the Traditional Latin Mass - as long as we stick to our cell and leave the pagans, infidels, apostates, et. al. alone to their own devices.  This is the failure of most conservatives: They think the hierarchy is with us, when in fact it is given to modernistic Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis views on everything.  We have been permitted the TLM, and the SSPX possibly being declared what we already know it to be, only because in their minds the end goal for the Church is to simply declare united everyone on Earth without a formal or corporate conversion.

Does anyone have the quote from Pope Benedict on the 'new concept' of conversion, that we have to stop thinking of conversion as a formal change but rather some amorphous acknowledgement of a universal Church?

brick by brick indeed.  wonder what fr. z will say about this move…

yes, she was barely literate and the sisters of her order re-wrote her journal but it was still a mess, it's said.  it probably improved quite a lot when cardinal wojtyla worked on it… 

but i've read it online and some of it's creepy.  she said she told Jesus she wished her order would have a saint and He told her she was that saint.  she really knew how to play a guy but would Jesus Christ be a "guy" who allowed Himself to be played that way?

another time she was alone in the chapel and a Host kept jumping from the tabernacle into her hands.  she put Jesus back but when she knelt down again, the Host popped into her hands again.  i don't remember how many times this happened but Jesus told her He just wanted to rest in her hands. 

in a time when only priests touched the consecrated Hosts, Sr. Faustina was not shocked about the Host jumping into her hands. that seems odd to me.

also, once she was going on an outing with other sisters and Jesus didn't want her to go so He took her heart.  they had to come back very soon as she wasn't feeling well, her heart being missing.

i didn't feel inspired by her diary, just troubled.

since the Polish pope had Totum Tuus as his motto and proclaimed himself a Marian, why didn't he promote devotion to Our Lady of Lichen?  that apparition in Poland in 1839 has

Church Approval

A special episcopal committee examined the apparition. At the request of the parish priest, Florian Kosinski, the committee decided to move the portrait to the parish church in Lichen. This took place on September 29, 1852. Until 1939, three-thousand answers to prayers were recorded, among them miraculous recoveries.

Pope Paul VI issued an edict announcing the confirmation of the gracious image of Our Lady of Lichen as miraculous and ordered its crowning with the Pope’s crown.

In 1967, on the Feast of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski, then Primate of Poland, crowned the miraculous image of Our Lady of Lichen, in the presence of the Ordinary of the Wroclawska Diocese, Bishop Antoni Pawlowski. Many other bishops, hundreds of priests, religious, and about 150,000 lay people attended the ceremony.

A new Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lichen was built in remembrance and thanksgiving for the two-thousandth anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. Pope John Paul II consecrated Poland's largest church on June 7,1999.

http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_appa...index.html

but i'll bet most Fisheaters have never heard of OL of Lichen.  i happened across it a year or two ago, doing a search about lichens.  i don't recall if there's any relationship between lichens and the town of Lichen.

I have always liked St Faustina.  But, I agree, this seems to be getting ridiculous. 
(10-07-2011, 08:20 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]More of the same is all. Pope John Paul II had to re-write her stuff, to promote her devotion, next she's a Doctor.  I'm probably a cynic but it seems it's another attempt to keep Fatima in the past.

tim

you'll like this, tim.  fr. z has up a poll asking about whether people say the Fatima prayer when saying the Rosary

When I pray the Rosary, after each decade ...

... I usually or I prefer to add the Fatima Prayer. (86%, 4,017 Votes)
... I usually do not or do not prefer to add the Fatima Prayer. (10%, 460 Votes)
... errrr.... I am Catholic, I know what you mean, but I never or rarely pray the Rosary. (4%, 174 Votes)
... ummm... I'm Catholic but I don't know what you are talking about. (0%, 31 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,682

i am worried about the 31 who didn't know what he was talking about but some people may say it and not know it's called the Fatima prayer.  of course, that's disturbing but ignorance can be cured -- quick, somebody tell them! 

parishes really need to have programs about Fatima and other Marian apparitions.  adults entering the Church are always interested in the Rosary and Mary. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5