FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rite of Betrothal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
is this done much today in the TLM churches?

Has anyone heard of this?

http://laudatedominum.net/files/bet.pdf
My husband and I had a betrothal just like this. I know two other couples who did the same thing. All of these were in Pittsburgh.
Never heard of it.

Neat. :)
(10-08-2011, 11:46 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Never heard of it.

It's an ancient practice, but one that also led to confusion as many couples mistakenly believed sexual relations could commence after the betrothal. 
(10-08-2011, 11:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's an ancient practice, but one that also led to confusion as many couples mistakenly believed sexual relations could commence after the betrothal. 

It's also interesting because at least in the East, a betrothal is treated canonically the same as a marriage. If you break off a betrothal you are ineligible for ordination.
An excellent idea! Neat!
It seems like a pointless rite that detracts from the sacrament of marriage.
(10-09-2011, 03:08 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like a pointless rite that detracts from the sacrament of marriage.

Except that is extremely traditional, like even St Joseph and the Blessed Mother did it! How traditional can you get?
My husband and I did had a Rite of Betrothal with the SSPX - the priest who married us, did the blessing.

We also have a signed certificate. 

http://laudatedominum.net/files/bet.pdf

(10-09-2011, 12:04 AM)Silouan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2011, 11:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's also interesting because at least in the East, a betrothal is treated canonically the same as a marriage. If you break off a betrothal you are ineligible for ordination.

It's not treated exactly equally.  A betrothal would require an annulment if one wanted to remarry, but as someone said earlier, sexual relations are still not permitted until the crowning.  This is why betrothal and crowning are done together nowadays.
Pages: 1 2 3