FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prevent traditional style Church buildings from being shut down in Michigan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I found this on Facebook.  For what it's worth, I'd thought I'd share it with Fisheaters in case some may want to take a moment to email the Archdiocese of Detroit to support traditional style Church buildings, and ask them to pick the modern, multi-purpose "worship space" buildings to close down.
------------------------------------------
The Archdiocese of Detroit, under a project titled "Together In Faith", is about to evalute which parishes should be closed down. The beauty of a church is very inspirational and soothes the soul. A parish that has classic traditional architecture can be more inspirational and feeds the faith better than a parish that has a bland, generic building. Even more so the interior. A parish that has a grand altar, many statues, is ornate, can be far more important to one's faith than a parish that is plain and empty with only felt banners hanging on a wall.

What I am saying is, when choosing a parish to close, whether it has a lot of registered families who turn in their envelopes, whether the staff is very efficient, may not be as important as the building itself. Parish staffs can be overhauled, pastors can be rotated, but a glorious church being shut down, while down the road a bland "worship center" remains open, is more unforgivable. To see the parishes in the Archdiocese, go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patriciadru...918377317/

Parishes I think should be put on the list for closure include
St Teresa of Avila (Warren)
St Barnabas (Eastpointe)
St Matthias (Sterling Hts)
St Thomas Aquinas (Detroit)
St Alan (Troy)
St Edmund (Warren)
St Anthony (Belleville)
St Colman (Farmington Hills)
St Dunstan (Garden City)
St Elizabeth Ann Seton (Troy)
St Jane Frances (Sterling Hts)

Two parishes, Our Lady of Czestochowa and St Rene Goupil, both in Sterling Hts, are said to be in danger. Both are very beautiful buildings with many statues. Our Lady has a gorgeous full wall sized marble icon of varous saints. To consider closing either of these parishes down when there are generic and plain buildings like St Matthias and St Jane Frances in the same neighborhood is unforgivable.

I encourage everyone who is interested in speaking up to keep architectually sacred parishes off the close list, and to put the modern and plain parishes on the close list instead, please contact Archbishop Allen Vigneron and the TIF committe at TogetherInFaith@aod.org

Encourage them to support the three T's: Traditional, Timeless, and Transcendent.  Encourage them to shut down the Three M's: Modern, Multi-purpose, and Mediocre.

See Canon 1222.  The closings of churches out East were rejected because the bishops didn't give grave enough reasons to relegate the churches to profane use.  Even the ugly churches have devoted members.  Although I'm not a fan of ugly churches, if people are willing to pay to maintain these churches, the diocese should not close them down.  The Catholic Church has been notoriously incompetent with money.  As if the massive abusive scandal weren't enough, now we have these large-scale church closings.  It never ends. 
I hope that the new, in-coming bishops will no longer approve new churches that submit plans for plain and generic buildings.  I hope they begin demanding that new churches being built actually look like Catholic churches.  I know many of the historic church buildings, if built today would cost several million dollars, but that still does not excuse that the architects could still design sacred and inspirational buildings at a lower cost... they just may not be as ornate as the historic ones, but they can still have a sacred look.  No reason why a church should look like a pre-school building or a medical building.
It looks like the Orange County diocese lost its bid to buy the Crystal Cathedral. 
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=12215

I'm not too familiar with the Crystal Cathedral, but by looking at some on line photos, in some pics it looks like a regular glass office building, but in others it looks like a futuristic church.

Another article says the court has the final say as to who buys the Cathedral, so there is still a chance the OC diocese may still get it, since they offered a larger bid.
http://www.ocregister.com/news/cathedral...rsity.html
While it's a nice idea to preserve all the beautiful old churches I don't think it's financially feasible.  What I would rather see is that the Archdiocese pledge to preserve as many of the interior items as possible.  Such as stained glass windows, statues, High Altars and side altars, tabernacles, pews, stations, etc..  While some buildings themselves, or in churches this age probably most if not all, are beautiful, it would be impossible to keep them all open if they aren't financially viable.  I'd be happy if they just saved all the treasures inside and spread them around the Archdiocese to churches that could benefit from some beautiful art.  I wouldn't feel so bad about old churches closing if I knew the furnishings were going to good use.

And if you're going to write to the Cardinal (?) or Archbishop, please be kind and respectful.  Calling him a philistine and iconoclast won't help any cause.  (Even though he really may be since he's responsible for that monstrosity in Oakland.)
(10-28-2011, 03:35 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]What I would rather see is that the Archdiocese pledge to preserve as many of the interior items as possible.  Such as stained glass windows, statues, High Altars and side altars, tabernacles, pews, stations, etc..  While some buildings themselves, or in churches this age probably most if not all, are beautiful, it would be impossible to keep them all open if they aren't financially viable.  I'd be happy if they just saved all the treasures inside and spread them around the Archdiocese to churches that could benefit from some beautiful art.  I wouldn't feel so bad about old churches closing if I knew the furnishings were going to good use.

I like this idea.  So many of the newer churches have no statues, no icons... only some felt banners hanging on a bare wall, and maybe some cloth streamers.  And the stain glass windows are usually abstact designs that no one can figure out.  It would be so great to be able to "recycle" the furnishings of the older churches that are going to be shut down.

I did not know Archbishop Vigneron had a part in the "Oakland monstrosity".

And , love your avatar.  "Going My Way" is one of my favorite movies.
Do your homework folks, most of the suburban churches are not traditional style buildings. They are ugly at best. Have you even looked at the pictures?
I like how they call the effort "Together in Faith."  They're as good as the Democratic party in  heart-warming BS.
(10-28-2011, 07:01 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]Do your homework folks, most of the suburban churches are not traditional style buildings. They are ugly at best. Have you even looked at the pictures?

Non-sequiter of the year.  :tiphat:
Did anyone else click on the pictures of the supposedly beautiful parishes they want to save? They're completely hideous as well. I hope that's not the best church architecture this diocese has to offer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4