FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Susan Sarandon Calls the Pope a ‘Nazi’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Susan Sarandon Calls the Pope a ‘Nazi’
Posted on October 17, 2011

[Image: face.jpg]

Another week, another Nazi controversy. After Hank Williams Jr. stirred the pot by referencing Hitler earlier this month, now actress Susan Sarandon is raising eyebrows after calling the Pope a “nazi.” But whereas Williams’s comment was an analogy and not a comparison, Sarandon’s seems to be at best a misunderstanding of history and at worst an obvious comparison.

Sarandon made the remark during a Hamptons International Film Festival interview Saturday with actor Bob Balaban. Here’s how Newday, which first reported the exchange, reported it: She was discussing her 1995 film “Dead Man Walking,” based on the anti-death-penalty book by Sister Helen Prejean, a copy of which she sent to the pope.

“The last one,” she said, “not this Nazi one we have now.”
Balaban gently tut-tutted, but Sarandon only repeated her remark.

The outlet adds that it was “somewhat offhanded,” but given the fact that she repeated after being given the chance to recant, it does seem to pose some problems. It’s worth pointing out that the Pope, Benedict XVI, does have a history with the Nazis. He was a member of the Hitler Youth as a child. But that’s only becuase he was forced to join.

The comments have been met with some apprehension. “If the gaggle of celebs who have invoked Hitler’s name have taught us anything, it’s that comparing anyone to a Nazi is usually a bad idea,” writes Sarah Anne Hughes of the Washington Post. Newsday adds:

“Of all the places on largely Catholic Long Island, perhaps only in the Hamptons could Sarandon get a laugh with such a comment. She may have only used ‘Nazi’ to mean ‘dictatorial’ or ‘cold,‘ but it’s a dangerous word for public figures to throw around. In Cannes, after the director Lars von Trier randomly and jokingly called himself a Nazi, the French festival banned him and demanded an apology. He has since stopped talking to the media.”

We’ll see if any of her movies get pulled from TV.
Did she call him a nah-tzee or a na-zhee? 
The President of the Catholic league, Bill Donohue said;

“Susan Sarandon's quip about Pope Benedict XVI being a 'Nazi' bespeaks unparalleled ignorance. Joseph Ratzinger (the pope) was conscripted into the Nazi Youth the way every other 14-year-old German boy was at the time. Unlike most others, he not only refused to go to the compulsory meetings -- he actually deserted the Hitler Youth! Which is precisely why Jews today regard him as a friend, not as an enemy. In short, what Sarandon said is positively obscene.”
If he was Bishop Williamson could get promoted to head of the CDF instead of the homo loving Levada.
Who cares what some Hollywood parasite thinks.
We don't but it is fun to mock her.

The media wheel her out because she is a lapsed Catholic.

When I lapse I'm just going to shut the f**k up.  I've had a belly fully of religion.  I'll talk about anything else.
(10-18-2011, 06:38 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]When I lapse I'm just going to shut the f**k up.  I've had a belly fully of religion.  I'll talk about anything else.

How long do you give yourself before that happens? Another year? Five?
When they canonised JP2 I am going to hand my membership badge back in.  If God wants me to stay a Roman Catholic then I need JP2 to not be canonised.  God has to step in an prevent it.  Destroying Rome would achieve this of course as would the Garabandal Miracle and Warning.  Who knows, maybe they'll find some real dirt on JP2 which will stop it at the 11th hour.

I don't think I'll become an SV for several reasons not least that they are trying to preserve a Church that will have fallen into contradiction.  Orthodox I'd need to look at closely.  The problem with them however is that they are not unified, they are in 31 flavours like Baskin Robbins ice-cream.

At that stage I'll think I'll read the Gospel from start to finish with a pair of fresh eyes and an honest intention.  I still think Jesus was real enough and that the Gospels are a great code for living your life.  There are pearls of Wisdom in the Gospel that are either Divinely inspired or way about any morality I could come up with.  I'll basically become my own boss for the simple reason that sinner though I am I would not break the first commandment or cover up for paedo-priests.  It's dangerous being your own Pope, but when the Pope is making it up as he goes along then it is no more dangerous than following him.

Frankly for the last 20 years I've had serious reservations about what has been taken from the Gospels and leveraged and what has been ignored and left out.  Christianity seems to have been heavily influenced by the emperor Constatine who as far as I understand it wasn't even a converted Christian until his deathbed.

For example, Jesus seems to make multiple statement that poverty is good and holy and that Christians should seek to have just enough and then give the rest to the poor.  Give your coat to a man who needs it and trust in providence.

Hardly any Christians do this however, myself included and the Church has been pretty quiet on the subject for the last 1500 years, and seems to mostly have sided with the Lords and Nobles and Kings, who were little more than the local warlords and mafia strongmen.

The only thing I've done is to live a way below my means and give the difference away, but I still eat nice food and have a comfortable live.  I've always driven 12 year old cheap cars rather than brand new ones.  I get all but my business clothes from charity shops.  I've stayed in budget hotels when I could have afforded 5 star hotels.  I don't drink much and I don't smoke either.

I've got major reservations about Traditional Catholicism too.  There are some real arseholes in the Traditionalist Camp who lack charity, don't really give a crap about poor, lock themselves into a compound with a sort of bunker mentality (or dream about doing this if they had the money), take a delight in chastizing people over the clothes they wear to mass, or revel in their intellectual superiority.  A lot of these asshats can't hold down a full time job and are living at home with their mother until 35 and claiming a welfare check.  They ponce around like they are minor nobility.  They are no the sort of people I'd want to hang around with.  If after all those sacraments, all that prayer and all that grace they turn out like that I tend to wonder whether there is much positive effect from that stuff.

Conversely I've got friends who are evangelical Christian types, Baptists and Methodists who are very pleasant people to have around.  They have good sized families, their children love them, they are always willing to come over and help you paint your house, weed the garden etc.  Some of them are models of virtue.  This leads me to believe that their lives on earth must be pleasing to God.

Not all Christians are good or course.  Not all Muslims are evil.  The observation of my eyes and my 43 years of life on this planet suggests to me that there are good and bad people everywhere.  Selfish people who know the Gospel inside out and back to front and kind, charitable, decent and good people who've never got around to reading it.

I certainly DO have a problem with the idea that 90%+ of people who reach the age of reason are damned to Hell for all eternity.  God designed the system.  He new what humans were before the fall and understood what their nature would be like after the fall.  Any God who creates intelligent beings without asking them first and then damns most of them to hell is to my way of thinking an evil monster.

Universal salvation is horseshit.  Clearly Hitler and Stalin went to Hell if one exists.  But near universal damnation seems totally unjust to me bearing in mind what I observe in the lives of those people around me.
Maybe as punishment they'll press her into service like Ratzinger and his fellows were. This is what happens when you put microphones in front of idiotic people.
(10-18-2011, 08:11 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]When they canonised JP2 I am going to hand my membership badge back in.  If God wants me to stay a Roman Catholic then I need JP2 to not be canonised.  God has to step in an prevent it.  Destroying Rome would achieve this of course as would the Garabandal Miracle and Warning.  Who knows, maybe they'll find some real dirt on JP2 which will stop it at the 11th hour.

I don't think I'll become an SV for several reasons not least that they are trying to preserve a Church that will have fallen into contradiction.  Orthodox I'd need to look at closely.  The problem with them however is that they are not unified, they are in 31 flavours like Baskin Robbins ice-cream.

At that stage I'll think I'll read the Gospel from start to finish with a pair of fresh eyes and an honest intention.  I still think Jesus was real enough and that the Gospels are a great code for living your life.  There are pearls of Wisdom in the Gospel that are either Divinely inspired or way about any morality I could come up with.  I'll basically become my own boss for the simple reason that sinner though I am I would not break the first commandment or cover up for paedo-priests.  It's dangerous being your own Pope, but when the Pope is making it up as he goes along then it is no more dangerous than following him.

Frankly for the last 20 years I've had serious reservations about what has been taken from the Gospels and leveraged and what has been ignored and left out.  Christianity seems to have been heavily influenced by the emperor Constatine who as far as I understand it wasn't even a converted Christian until his deathbed.

For example, Jesus seems to make multiple statement that poverty is good and holy and that Christians should seek to have just enough and then give the rest to the poor.  Give your coat to a man who needs it and trust in providence.

Hardly any Christians do this however, myself included and the Church has been pretty quiet on the subject for the last 1500 years, and seems to mostly have sided with the Lords and Nobles and Kings, who were little more than the local warlords and mafia strongmen.

The only thing I've done is to live a way below my means and give the difference away, but I still eat nice food and have a comfortable live.  I've always driven 12 year old cheap cars rather than brand new ones.  I get all but my business clothes from charity shops.  I've stayed in budget hotels when I could have afforded 5 star hotels.  I don't drink much and I don't smoke either.

I've got major reservations about Traditional Catholicism too. 

Ggreg these are not good thoughts.

It's totally possible to love traditional Catholicism but still hate most trads.

The question of how many will be saved is a tricky one and seems to be one of the big controversies in the Church today. But you know what it is necessary for salvation. Work on that and in Heaven you can find out what God does to your nice Lutheran neighbors.

Having faith does not make us better people. We are still tainted with original sin. With the sacraments we are better able to deal with sin, but we're not superhumans.

You are also absolutely wrong that the Church has done nothing for the poor. Who do you think fed the poor before the rise of the Welfare state? Why do you so many hospitals were founded as Catholic hospitals? And the Church still does a lot for the poor. You are right that most of us could do a lot more.

You won't find another religion that is as consistent as Catholicism. Seriously, we've been in crisis for nearly 2000 years. The Catholic Church is always tottering but never quite falling.

Constantine being considered the founder of the Church is a bunch of bull. His toleration did change the institutional church in that it no longer had to be an underground religion, but if you read the writings of the Church Fathers composed before the Edict of Milan you will see the faith is all there.

I think something to keep in mind is that trads have no sense of history and the Church has been in worse situations before. When the government starts feeding Catholics to lions and the Pope publicly forsakes the faith out of fear for his life we can say things are just as bad as the early church. No doubt someone will show up in a minute and say no its worse today but they will be an idiot. 

If your faith is so weak that you are ready to abandon it if JPII gets canonized I am not sure what I can do other than pray for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6