FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Marriage Rite Outside Mass Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm getting married next year and had some questions about the rite of marriage according to the 1962 missal. I attend the Latin Mass almost exclusively at a church that primarily celebrates the Novus Ordo, and was told we couldn't get married according to the old rite because it is a disparity of cult marriage. I was told that it was not possible to simply celebrate the rite of marriage outside of Mass according to the 1962 missal because such weddings are not allowed to be performed in the church building (that prior to Vatican II they were only celebrated in the rectory). As a result, we have to be married according to the newer rite.

So I was wondering two things:

Is this true - is the old form not allowed for disparity of cult marriages since it cannot be celebrated in the church building?

What do churches that celebrate the TLM exclusively do (I'm thinking of churches run by the FSSP or Institute of Christ the King)? Do they still perform mixed marriages and disparity of cult marriages in the rectory?

I'll note that we've spent a lot of time discerning marriage (years), and even though she isn't Catholic, she too prefers the older missal.
The marriage rite is not inside Mass ever. Nothing interrupts Mass.
That's rough. I'm not sure if that rule still applies. But if it does, I'd say you should at least be married outside the church door. When the Anglican King Charles I married Henrietta Maria of France, it was outside the door of Notre Dame de Paris.

Having it in the rectory just seems like a pissy option.
As Louis Martin has said, the idea that we interrupt Mass (for a wedding, a baptism, anointing, to celebrate the extraordinary  monsters of HC, to have a folk dance) is a silly innovation.

HK's suggestion is interesting.  In the past, this kind of thing was done in the rectory.  Disparity of cult was seen as something that should not be encouraged even if it was allowed.  No offense, but it's for good reasons.

Is there any chance your fiancee would become Catholic?  Does she has specific objections?
(10-17-2011, 11:55 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]As Louis Martin has said, the idea that we interrupt Mass (for a wedding, a baptism, anointing, to celebrate the extraordinary  monsters of HC, to have a folk dance) is a silly innovation.

Ah, mm, not sure about that. I believe ordinations were always done in the middle of Mass.

Quote:HK's suggestion is interesting.  In the past, this kind of thing was done in the rectory.  Disparity of cult was seen as something that should not be encouraged even if it was allowed.  No offense, but it's for good reasons.

In the Middle Ages, weddings were frequently performed outside the church portal even between two Catholics. I think being married outside the church portal gets the point across regarding disparity of cult. Being married in the rectory seems classless and encourages a couple to have a "real wedding" at the non-Catholic's church or venue of choice.
Sorry, I used the wrong terminology when I wrote "marriage outside Mass." I should have said "marriage without Mass" or something similar since the rite is celebrated prior to Mass in the 1962 Missal.
(10-18-2011, 12:01 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, mm, not sure about that. I believe ordinations were always done in the middle of Mass.

True, I forgot about that!  Though it is in a very precise way, and not at all in a general "between the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the eucharist, insert whatever you want" kind of way that I was railing against.
(10-18-2011, 12:04 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]True, I forgot about that!  Though it is in a very precise way, and not at all in a general "between the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the eucharist, insert whatever you want" kind of way that I was railing against.

Fo sho.

Yes, I think it can be said that inserting rites into the middle of Mass is somewhat an innovation. I think it's well-intentioned, though, in that it means people want the Mass to be the heart of everything. In the early 20th century, more Catholics than not got married without a Mass at all. There's nothing wrong with that, but I would personally be pissed if I couldn't have a Mass following the marriage rite.

I also wish I could've been baptized and confirmed together with Mass, but there was no point in making a fuss about it when I was a new Catholic.
(10-18-2011, 12:14 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2011, 12:04 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]True, I forgot about that!  Though it is in a very precise way, and not at all in a general "between the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the eucharist, insert whatever you want" kind of way that I was railing against.

Fo sho.

Yes, I think it can be said that inserting rites into the middle of Mass is somewhat an innovation. I think it's well-intentioned, though, in that it means people want the Mass to be the heart of everything. In the early 20th century, more Catholics than not got married without a Mass at all. There's nothing wrong with that, but I would personally be pissed if I couldn't have a Mass following the marriage rite.

I also wish I could've been baptized and confirmed together with Mass, but there was no point in making a fuss about it when I was a new Catholic.

I am going to try to arrange my to-be-born daughter's baptism right after a Solemn Mass with polyphony.  I hope I can save up the money for stipends and choir!
(10-18-2011, 12:18 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to try to arrange my to-be-born daughter's baptism right after a Solemn Mass with polyphony.  I hope I can save up the money for stipends and choir!

My Anglican Use church tries to make baptism as solemn as possible without it being at Mass. The pastor is vested in alb, cincture and cope and assisted by a deacon at the baptistery. Our schola has chanted the Te Deum afterward a couple times for such baptisms. I always felt that having a priest perform a baptism in just a surplice and no other ministers seemed like... well, a casual Fridays version of baptism.
Pages: 1 2