FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Luminous Mysteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Besides Trad Communities where they aren't spoken of in polite company, are the Luminous Mysteries popular or will they fade away with time??
My guess is that, unfortunately, they're going to stick around for a long, long time, especially if John Paul II is actually canonized as a saint.  Sneaky
Luminous Mysteries are nothing more than another novelty of the NO.
I disagree.

They are actually very good mysteries. Christ in his teaching mode. Seems to me that they ought to be the default mysteries for Lent.

The other point would be to ask how many people actually pray the rosary as a percentage? The numbers are obviously skewed here. I would say you would be lucky to find even 1% of Catholics praying the rosary.

How can that be considered a novelty?
(10-19-2011, 09:06 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]Luminous Mysteries are nothing more than another novelty of the NO.

+1
Please define the word novelty then. Because usually novelties involve promoting interest in the short term. Ice cream novelties, etc.

Where is the novelty in the NO? Perhaps I missed them because I walked out after the 5th grade. And did not darken the door of a church for many years.

So perhaps I'm too smart to be taken in by novelty and simply cannot understand.

Good thing you skeptics were not around in St. Dominic's time. The novelty may have never taken off.
I really enjoy praying the Luminous mysteries. I get the whole problem with breaking the 150 cycle and all that, but I can't see anything wrong with meditating on those particular events in Christ's life.
(10-19-2011, 09:41 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Please define the word novelty then. Because usually novelties involve promoting interest in the short term. Ice cream novelties, etc.

Where is the novelty in the NO? Perhaps I missed them because I walked out after the 5th grade. And did not darken the door of a church for many years.

I posted here: Link a little as regards novelties within the NO - - as Pope Paul VI related that the novelties of the NO are a "many-sided inconvenience" that "disturb" those who are pious the most. I guess those who are not so pious are indifferent to the novelties of the NO and consider them a small thing - if they consider them at all.

(10-19-2011, 09:41 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]So perhaps I'm too smart to be taken in by novelty and simply cannot understand.

Good thing you skeptics were not around in St. Dominic's time. The novelty may have never taken off.

You should avoid equating the Rosary as given to St. Dominic with the Luminous Mysteries dictated by the pope. What I am saying is it does no good for the pope to come up with a new set of mysteries when he dropped the ball with his first priority - defending, preserving and promulgating the True Faith.

Additionally, why not promulgate and promote the original mysteries? - I'll tell you way - - - change for the sake of change, no other reason.
I once prayed the Luminous Mysteries...and I liked it.

But, I usually don't pray them.
The rosary predates Saint Dominic. Saint Louis de Montfort states this in his Secret of the Rosary.  He does give credit to Saint Dominic for popularizing the Rosary, but it existed before him. 

And there have been changes to the Rosary over time, even changes to the mysteries themselves.  Saint Louis de Monfort himself made a number of unilateral changes to the Rosary, such as adding a "Glory Be" after each decade.   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5